1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Intercooler - My impression so far

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 03:22 PM
MagKarl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Intercooler - My impression so far

Last fall I had a hard time keeping my egt in check on the big hills while pulling my trailer. I have two tow settings, the light tow is pretty darn similar to my empty daily driver setting in terms of power, and my heavy tow is not much hotter than stock. I had plenty of power, but I couldn't use it without pushing past 1200 egt and had to either downshift or turn down my chip to the heavy setting, or both. So this winter I rounded up the parts for an IC install. I used a 6L IC, modified a set of 7.3L pipes, and bought a Banks spider. The early 99 spider was not available at that time. Since I finished, I really don't notice any extra lag that some folks complain about, but I do have my map line on the compressor outlet instead of the inlet plenum. This last week was the first trip pulling the trailer where I really got a chance to flog it hard. Lots of steep hills where I could still get it up close to and a few times at 1200, but, I could hammer it up every single one at roughly 60 mph, 4th gear, 2300-2500 rpm, 15-20 psi boost, and 1000-1200 F egt, all in my light tow setting with little to no smoke. It was nice to be the guy in the fast lane on the hills and not holding up traffic because I had to shift down. Hit the bottom about 2400 rpm and cruise on up nice and steady. So for my needs, the IC helped a lot to control egt while towing. How much exactly? Hard to say, but it was enough to keep me in a higher power chip setting and a higher gear while staying at or under 1200. Just my $0.02 about my experience so far, your mileage may vary.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:11 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good info, it's amazing how much cooling the charge air does for EGT's.
Anyone out there running a little hot should take notice. Again, thanks for sharing... reps sent.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:32 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Amen to all that! I am upgrading from the 7.3 to 6.0 cooler tomorrow. Hopefully I will notice a difference but maybe now. Oh well its still better than dropping $1400 for another cooler.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Like Jim said anyone on the edge about an IC take notice.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:58 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
yes anyone who has EGT issues at all should look into an IC... i can tow my 10k snowmobile trailer all day long in the most powerful tune with no EGT problems

Old 07-31-2008, 07:49 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
i think the ic is a big reason i havnt melted down yet in all my games.....

Old 07-31-2008, 08:19 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice review Mag. My IC definitely cooled down my hoss on those long hills.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:44 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Very nice review, reps sent.
I've noticed with my gauges that once i get to a 1000*F, it takes a while to go above that. i'm assuming that this is because the turbo starts to heat the air more and more and this is what causes 1200+ egt's. I've yet to go over 1150 and would like to keep it that way.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:45 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by glasseater
yes anyone who has EGT issues at all should look into an IC... i can tow my 10k snowmobile trailer all day long in the most powerful tune with no EGT problems
With two's???? wow!

Old 07-31-2008, 08:55 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

I took my truck to about 1350 today. Gotta get some better Tuning!! TONY WHATCHA UP TO.........

Old 07-31-2008, 10:09 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
i need gauges...........then tony!!!!!!

Old 07-31-2008, 10:15 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
im lookin at water to air lately!! need more intercooler and frozenboost.com has a setup that has 3" in and outs for 600hp for about $500 by the time you buy the good pump and biggest radiator, and the intercooler

Old 07-31-2008, 11:11 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by barebackjake
im lookin at water to air lately!! need more intercooler and frozenboost.com has a setup that has 3" in and outs for 600hp for about $500 by the time you buy the good pump and biggest radiator, and the intercooler
I've been lookin at the same thing...
I'm going to go for the second largest one they have.
do some research on how much radiator you need... it becomes important. with the right radiator/exchanger combo, WAICs can have higher efficiency and absorb spikes better...
Also, make sure you make the exchanger the low point in the intake path, so if it leaks you dont hydrolock your motor... or blow a head or rod or... what would go first? lol

Old 08-01-2008, 03:20 AM
scatgo
Posting Guru
OK, a intercooler will work wonders to keep your EGT in check If you tow heavy. What about people like me who never have any thing more than a load of fire wood in the back of the truck? Would installing a intercooler be worth all the work time and money for any horse power gains you might get? Would you even get any HP from a IC?

Old 08-01-2008, 04:12 AM
immastrokinnow
Elder User
you dont really get hp out of an ic. your just get the ability to use the power you already have. you wont have to back out of the throttle while showing up that little irritating honda because of egts........

Old 08-01-2008, 05:06 AM
FARM69
Postmaster
Originally Posted by scatgo
OK, a intercooler will work wonders to keep your EGT in check If you tow heavy. What about people like me who never have any thing more than a load of fire wood in the back of the truck? Would installing a intercooler be worth all the work time and money for any horse power gains you might get? Would you even get any HP from a IC?
You don't have to be pulling x number of pounds to gain the benefits of an air to air setup. The first thing you will notice is how fast your egt's drop off when you come to a stop or going down a grade. Cooler, denser air has the potential to make more power during high temp situations.

Quick Reply: Intercooler - My impression so far