1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Intercooler - My impression so far

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 05:59 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cooler intake air charge = more HP, doesn't matter if it's a gasser, turbo, non-turbo or what ever.
More HP in the right hands (make that a foot) = higher MPG's but that's no fun now...is it?

Old 08-01-2008, 08:02 AM
93f1505.0L
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An IC helps a lot with cool down thats the biggest thing I noticed. Getss down to 300 a lot faster. i also havent been able to get it over 1200 so far. The most weight Ive had on it so far is 3 4hweelers and a lot of coolers but it did great. I dodnt have it hooked up right now becuse I painted the pipes and didnt like it so I have to beed blast then and havent got around to it yet, but thats where I noticed the most differance, I ran with it for months and now with out it you really notice what all it does. Plus with the Ic you get a really cool louder "blow off" sound than stock.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:21 AM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by secondarychaos
With two's???? wow!
i can't floor it or i'll have EGT problems but i mean just cruisin and givin it a little throttle now and then lol but it has no problem picking up speed up a hill with the EGTs

Old 08-01-2008, 02:24 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by glasseater
i can't floor it or i'll have EGT problems but i mean just cruisin and givin it a little throttle now and then lol but it has no problem picking up speed up a hill with the EGTs
Ok, the truth comes out... lol
but if you can make enough power to tow heavy w/out probs i guess that's good as well.
intercooler should add power and efficiency... and reduce EGTs

Old 08-01-2008, 04:20 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Ok, the truth comes out... lol
but if you can make enough power to tow heavy w/out probs i guess that's good as well.
intercooler should add power and efficiency... and reduce EGTs
yeah, i only really noticed a power increase while towing, instead of hitting 1200+ (POST TURBO!!!!!!!!!!! ) in the towing tune and 1400+ in the "big" tune, i've never broken 900 (even in high altitudes towing 10k trailer, trying to get the EGTs up...) in the towing tune after the intercooler, and never over 1000 in the "big" tune, but i still would rather have it below 850 which is why i said i have some problems flooring it... and it became easier to get up to speed and pick up speed up hills... i think this size injectors are probably the best i'll ever get for this truck for towing duty... any more fuel and it'll definitely shoot up... but with a new turbo the EGTs with IIs might never go above 900, who knows

Old 08-01-2008, 04:30 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by glasseater
yeah, i only really noticed a power increase while towing, instead of hitting 1200+ (POST TURBO!!!!!!!!!!! ) in the towing tune and 1400+ in the "big" tune, i've never broken 900 (even in high altitudes towing 10k trailer, trying to get the EGTs up...) in the towing tune after the intercooler, and never over 1000 in the "big" tune, but i still would rather have it below 850 which is why i said i have some problems flooring it... and it became easier to get up to speed and pick up speed up hills... i think this size injectors are probably the best i'll ever get for this truck for towing duty... any more fuel and it'll definitely shoot up... but with a new turbo the EGTs with IIs might never go above 900, who knows
That's scary...
do you remember cody's (rubberduck's) post about pre vs post? there was up to a 500* difference, pre and post. you could be running 1350-1400 pre turbo and not know it.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:00 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
im not gonna have mine at the lowest part of the system, you have enough air moving its gonna suck the water in no matter where its at.

mine is going right ontop of the motor to have the minimal amount of plumbing. im also tbolt clamping everything so i dont have to worry about blowing off boots the radiator im going with for mine is about the size of my intercooler, its a single pass. theres a 2 pass that i found but its big money and they say that there largest one is good for 1200hp in cars so we shall see!

Old 08-01-2008, 06:23 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Not to change gears... I doubt mine would break 300 if it idled for 2 hours. It has idled for two hours but will sit at the 200 degree mark.

I've always wondered if not having an interooler would make it warm up a little faster and get rid of some of that smoke. And yes... my gp's are working. lol

Old 08-01-2008, 10:52 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
i dont see the intercooler having any effect on warm ups. especially at idle, you dont have that much volume going through the cooler and you have virtually no airflow(assuming your clutch fan is working) even cruising you shouldnt see that big a difference with or without a cooler. the difference should be seen under loads.

and you cant ever get rid of the smoke! its a diesel! cold motors = unburned fuel. to get rid of it you would need a catylst

Old 08-02-2008, 07:30 AM
barebackjake
Postmaster
what color smoke is it?

Old 08-02-2008, 09:04 AM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
i assume white

Old 08-02-2008, 09:46 AM
MagKarl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A couple other observations. EGT does drop faster after you crest a hill, and goes sub 300 really easily on downhill runs compression braking. I haven't noticed any power change due to the colder air. Farm, I don't think an IC will affect warmup much. The point of an IC is to reject some of the heat that the compression of the intake air by the turbo causes. The more boost you build, the hotter the air comes out of the turbo. At idle, you have no boost, so little to no air heating in theory. That's why the benefits of an IC are more evident when the rig is working hard.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:46 AM
barebackjake
Postmaster
ya wont make more hp with an intercooler but you keep the hp you had at lower temps is what it will help with, if anything it will make the turbo a bit laggier since now its got all the extra plumbing and your gonna get some restriction through the ic

Old 08-02-2008, 11:07 AM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
oh but quite the opposite on all counts.
- ask any high horsepower diesel owner what happens to his dyno numbers if they remove the intercooler from the equation. you will see a 50-100 hp drop without it.
granted on typical tow rig you wont see mcuh, if any increase in hp but when you start adding other mods the hp will increase due to the intercooler's efficiency.

-if built properly you will have no additional turbo lag. i have a nice instant crisp throttle response and can mash the throttle and be on my way.

-intercoolers dont add restriction, if they did you would lose hp and increase smoke output, and increase temps. typicly you will see a 2-5 psi drop in boost after a cooler instal. this is due to the fact that you have a larger, less restrictive channel for the air to go through before it hits the motor

Old 08-02-2008, 04:34 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
That's scary...
do you remember cody's (rubberduck's) post about pre vs post? there was up to a 500* difference, pre and post. you could be running 1350-1400 pre turbo and not know it.
the most i've ever heard in testing is 350*... but i try to keep it low anyway....

also guys... intercoolers DO increase power.... it's basically the same thing as installing a cold-air intake... but instead of decreasing the temperature of the incoming air, you're decreasing the teamperature of SUPER-HEATED compressed air... does much more then just a cold-air intake would....
also an intercooler WILL lower smoke at full boost but that's it... i have proof of that hahaha before/after videos show it clear enough!!
an intercooler WILL NOT increase restriction
the new intercoolers on the market normally have, at the most, a 1 or 2 psi drop... that's at about 30psi... at 60psi it's about twice that etc etc...
also the new intercoolers are effecient enough that you will NOT see ANY noticeable lag

Quick Reply: Intercooler - My impression so far