6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

White residue over degas bottle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:28 PM
KING
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White residue over degas bottle?

Just spotted this and my light bulb problem turned on!

This sure doesn't smell right (no pun intended)...

Old 07-29-2008, 11:09 PM
KING
Senior User
After I've all read regarding this issue, it's either EGR cooler, degas bottle cap, or headgaskets.

Going into dealer again tomorrow just after a week of having if there for 2 new batteries and an alternator.

Not happy!

Old 07-29-2008, 11:45 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
bummer. nice pics though. hopefully your truck isn't in the shop for too long. good luck!

Old 07-30-2008, 01:10 AM
mxer0022
Cargo Master

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
perfect example the the infamous "white residue"! this should be a sticky for those who don't know what it means! good luck on your truck man

Old 07-30-2008, 04:22 AM
buba 11
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Been there and had that, it was the EGR cooler on my truck, much cheaper to replace than head gasgets but about a grand by the time all was done. Best of luck hope it is something cheap to fix.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:40 AM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
Before you run to the dealer, clean the area as best you can, drive normally don't change anything, check the area at the end of each day. If you find the residue think about what you did that day while driving that could have caused the puking. IF you can replicate the event it helps the tech in the long run, at this point they just start pulling the truck apart to "fix" symptoms and not the actual problem.

Being that you run a lift as well make sure the coolant level is at/or below the "MIN" mark on the bottle. Since you lifted the truck the level will drop but is still the correct amount for a stock truck. I overfilled mine and puked it all out, after dropping it to the "MIN" line all is good with no issues.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:06 PM
KING
Senior User
Well the truck is at the dealer already but if I had to guess when it happened, I'm going to say on a trip to Lake Powell in June towing the 5th wheel.

It was hot out and it's nothing easy towing that much weight up and down these grades out here. We go from 1000 ft of elevation to over 7000 ft in just a little over an hour! I had the pedal to the ground, the truck was screaming, and the fan was running at full throttle. It definitely is not the first I do it..

Service manager told me it could be that it's seeping out of the degas bottle seals and mentioned the white was a good sign, that so far at least, it's not mixed with oil.

But you are right, I want to know the cause of this. Why it puked to begin with?

Old 07-30-2008, 06:49 PM
doubledee715
Elder User
there is no way that it "seeped" all over the hood like that. It obviously puked really freaking bad.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so King, you got an EGT gauge?

"seeping", yea that's it
svc mgr> "the white is a good sign" -yea, for a repair!

It's obvious that if you expect that kind of service out of your 6.0 you should demand ARP headstuds when they replace the gaskets.

The reason why it did what it did is because you got high EGT's and the coolant was boiling in the EGR cooler and most likely compromised a breach in the headgasket.
Checking for hydrocarbons in the coolant will tell you more info on the gaskets.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:28 PM
KING
Senior User
No guage.

Shouldn't the computer cut off fuel delivery when it senses high egt to allow to cool off?

Truck and engine is stock inside and out.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
I know the 6.0 is a high tech powerplant but it ain't rocket science.
The only way the computer can tell the engine to defuel is when it sees maximum RPM's. ie: rev limiter or is programed in a shift strategy

Old 07-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
based on your demand from your engine, I would highly recommend gauges.
The 7.3 would have delivered the goods you demanded but I still feel that once you figure out how to care for the 6.0 and know its limits you have a much better purchase. SO while you may or may not need head gaskets, do yourself a favor and protect it by knowing your EGT's . The 6.0 will get much hotter than it's predecessor under similar loads due to several factors.
So, don't worry too much about it all, you just now know it's limitations. Ford will take care of you on this as I'm sure it's still under factory warranty.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:01 PM
KING
Senior User
Worse case scenario, I'll just need a new engine...

Old 07-30-2008, 11:05 PM
KING
Senior User
Originally Posted by Benchwrench
based on your demand from your engine, I would highly recommend gauges.
The 7.3 would have delivered the goods you demanded but I still feel that once you figure out how to care for the 6.0 and know its limits you have a much better purchase. SO while you may or may not need head gaskets, do yourself a favor and protect it by knowing your EGT's . The 6.0 will get much hotter than it's predecessor under similar loads due to several factors.
So, don't worry too much about it all, you just now know it's limitations. Ford will take care of you on this as I'm sure it's still under factory warranty.
Under factory warranty? No.

Under extended warranty? Yes.

Either case, regardless of damage, correct, Ford will take care of it but it is important to me, similarly to as what you're staying, to prevent this from occuring again.

Bummer.

You'd think these engines would sustain the word load their expected to make.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:32 PM
KING
Senior User
One question.

Best deal for ARP studs?

Quick Reply: White residue over degas bottle?