1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Lost my best friend today O/T

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 09:03 PM
48fordjeffie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost my best friend today O/T

I put my best friend Hershey M. Bear to sleep tonight. It was tough, but the right thing to do. She made it to fifteen years old this month which is very old for a Chocolate Labrador. She was my last link to life before my two kids were around. I took her in my 06 F150 in the back seat, she sniffed the air out the back windows on the way to the vet. I hope I can die as peacefully as my two dogs did.
Luckily, I have a year old Black Labrador named Reese, her daddy was Chocolate. She will make this transition much easier. So far four cold frosties have been drank...
Jeff

Old 07-29-2008, 09:17 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm sorry to here that! I'm thinking about ya, I will have a cold for you & your friend as well.
My oldest dog is twelve years old this spring, she has been through a lot with me and I know how much I would miss her if she were gone today! she has had a few rough times as well, she had cancer come back twice about 2 years ago (surgery to remove) and right now she is doing good,
Although I can start to tell that she is getting old, not hearing and seeing as good as she used too. its hard to realize how old she is!
I'm glad you have another best freind to talk to.
Take care
Josh

Old 07-29-2008, 09:17 PM
dylan1952
Senior User
Ohh that's no good. I thought we had a bad day in Southern Calif. with the quake. I've always said losing your pet is one of the toughests things in life. Looks like he had a good life. They are like old trucks in a way, they are always looking for a good home. Hang in there.....

Old 07-29-2008, 09:31 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
It's never easy saying good bye to old friends, 2 legged or 4.

My condolences.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:37 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
I know how it is to lose a loved "fur-kid", I lost my old bird dog several years ago and have yet to get another. It just seems that none could ever replace the special place that they seem to touch in our lives. I never wanted children, so the animals in my life have been like my family.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:20 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
It is not an easy thing to do, but it is certainly an honorable thing to do.

I was in the service when I called my mother when she informed me that my( actually my uncle's, but I spent as much time with him as them) bird dog had died. It was a very sad day. I grew up with him. He was buried out behind our deer shack, and every Fall, we toast a beer to "Woody" He was a Springer Spaniel. (Don't go whizzing by that tree over there, ya hear!)

I had one dog since, that was very much a companion, and she went to my friend's parents when I could no longer keep her (dang rules in apartments). She lived a long lazy life and passed away just a couple years ago. My current dog is now 5 and he has been with us since before we got married, before I got the project truck, the new house built, and hopefully will get a ride in my finished (is it ever?) project truck.

Thanks for this thread, it has brought back some fond memories.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:15 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Lost my 2X Fla. state canine frisbee champ , '86 Ala. state champ and placed 8th in the world in '85 July 27th '91 .I was messed up for 2 weeks .Had to do the same with my first Akita who was a present from my daughter ( First Riders Daughter ) on Feb. 13th '02 .Had to leave the room when it happened .It was too painful for me . So now have a 10 yr. old daughter from my 1st Akita and a 6 yr. old boy dog Koda ( who makes me laugh every day ) to some day deal with that dreaded event .No more dogs after that . When ever you start to dwell on the passing of your best friend remember they are all waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge .Read it & it will make you feel better .I asked God to send me a true friend and he sent me an Akita !

Old 07-30-2008, 12:12 AM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
We lost our best 4 legged friend/Utah, a German Shepard almost two years ago to cancer. It was one of the toughest things I ever had to do in having her put to sleep.
We`ll always miss her greatly!
We have another great dog but there will always be an empty space in our hearts.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:06 AM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
I know what you are feeling right now. I lost my rotty of just over 10 yrs in January. It hurt for a long time, still does. Please accept my condolences. I got another shortly after which made the loss somewhat better I guess.

I still sometimes get teary eyed when I think of her, but now I also smile sometimes when I think of her.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:48 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to hear that . i lost two of them about ten years ago and up till 4 years ago when brenda got the mini weiner dog i wouldnt get another . jake , a mix of chow and keeshond {?} and emmy my lil'est daughters border collie . dain near as bad as losing my grandparents i was so attached to 'em .

Old 07-30-2008, 07:44 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Sad day

I avoid thinking of the day when our 14 year old "heinz vairety" needs a decision made about the trip to the vet. Don't think I'm up to that !

Tom

Old 07-30-2008, 09:42 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
I just put my aussie/english setter mix to sleep May 30 in Florida ,after 17 years of love.
She would NEVER let me go in the truck without her!! She has been across USA at least 6 times. I was picking up my ALABAMA 56 and bought it from LASTCHANCE56 , and after leaving my trailer with Rodney, had to put LEAH down,after she had a mini stroke in the truck. My wife and I cried like babies. I still get sniffly when we travel and Leah is just our memory.
EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE A DOG OR CAT and give them a good home--they need us as much as we need them. Life is good when we are with our pets....still have a black lab and a beagle/aussie mix---they are our kids.
DOGS LOVE TRUCKS!!! GET A DOG!!! Bill

Old 07-30-2008, 09:47 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
JEFF--hope you can get by with Hersey's memory. Sounds alot like our dog. I am sorry for your loss....dogs are cool,and have a frosty for me...Bill

Old 07-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I complete empathize w/ you, I've had so many Boxers pass onto the great beyond that I've lost count & they are one of the Best breeds for a Family dog ever.

But this month my 95-year-old GranMother just succumbed to Alzheimer’s & a dear friend, Artist, Illustrator & Creator of "The Rocketeer", Dave Stevens to Leukemia. Dave was just 53 years old & never smoked a day in his life, go figure.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:27 PM
48tudor
New User
My condolences. I have a 11 year old Chocolate Lab that will not be around much longer. It will be pretty hard on me when that day comes.

Quick Reply: Lost my best friend today O/T