6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

P-Correctness and EPA Mod issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:41 PM
psdendurance
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P-Correctness and EPA Mod issue

The policies of this forum are open, they permit us to discuss our trucks and mods without censure. This is the best open free speech forum I have found.
The question is, why do others not allow us to discuss the assorted mods we do to our trucks.
If I/we choose to modify our trucks that may impact warranty and EPA regulations why is that a concern of the owners of the site? Would the site owner be guilty by association.

I know a dealer can void warranties if we mod the truck. Its a risk I choose to take. My dealer has indicated there would be no problem with the mods I have done, open exhaust, egr mods... as long as the mods do not cause the problem. They even are not concerned about my SCT - as long as it comes back to them with the stock tune. So I have dealer that is easy to work with -- so far. But then I dont have headbolt or head gasket problems.

I also want to ask the members - has anyone ever heard of a problem with the FEDS EPA about mods to the trucks? Cat delete or ERG mods.? A SCT tune, not stock, is illegal also. Any mod that has an effect on emissions is legal. Has a dealer ever turned someone in to the EPA for modifications. ??
I know those who have to do smog emisson test may have problems. How many states do diesel truck tests? What happens if you fail -- do they call out the EPA police?
Do you go back and put it back to stock?
No way I would be able to do that.. change out the up-pipe
And then there is the cat...

A bit off topic, but I know many on this list also are on the other Ford truck lists. This subject just seems not to be discussed.
If out of line I am sure I will be told so..
Or trashed for the mods to my truck..
I appreciate this forum and the owners... open free discussion. I have learned more here then any other source. The main reason I am a paid supporter.
RR

Old 07-30-2008, 10:07 AM
TremecGT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
strict times are ahead for diesel owners in CA. 2010 brings many of our trucks (even older back to 97) into smog. No more mods without CARB number exemtions and no emisions mods that are easily changed ie tuners! Will be interesting for sure, and you better have your EGR system intact and opperating! IF you are caught, off to the Referee to get it cleared up, no easy signoff from your cop buddy.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:19 PM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I have thought the same thing about removing the Cat, etc. What if you get pulled over by the DOT... what will they do?? Crap, you can tell if a truck has a straight pipe just by the sound. If it is illegal why aren't they enforcing it? I would like a straight pipe but with my luck I would be the "example" if I was pulled over. When I had my truck smogged a few weeks ago the guy didn't even look under the truck or check the EGR system. I posted the "receipt" in my gallery but it came out kind of small. Here are the 4 items they look for;
1. Catalyst(s)
2. EGR system
3. Crankcase Vent System - Why do they look at that?
4. Fuel Cap(s) - Huh?

Great post by the way!

Old 07-30-2008, 01:03 PM
psdendurance
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My cat 'looks' stock. If the inspection is visual only, then there is no issue . That was why I did not install a pipe.
Muffler delete is OK in most states? Thus the more noise.

EGR check dont know how they do that . Look at the valve and insure its plugged in. A welded shut stock valve fixes that along with the up-pipe block. Only can find this with a sniffer test

CCV they got me there. Open ccv - I will get the closed loop filter system later or make one. I got fed up with oil drips at the CAC tubes leaking all over the engine.. Makes it look like I had an oil leak. BD makes a $400 system. Has to be a low cost DIY method.

Gas cap is gasoline issue must seal to prevent vapor leakage to air. Not a diesel issue

If they do NOT put a sensor in the tail pipe they wont find much.
All these are just visual inspections for mods

Old 07-30-2008, 03:00 PM
JIM_C
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is discussed on other sites. Maybe not on one of the more popular ones that comes to mind, but there are discussions out there for the 6.0 and the 6.4.