Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

Mater is being a pain again!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 08:06 PM
mudder460
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mater is being a pain again!

Well started Mater up yesterday for the first time in a month. Backed out the driveway and he shuts off. No biggie, I remembered that ha was on fumes when I left. So I grab the gas can and put a few gallons in and fires back up. This time he was runnin funnny. He shut back down when I tried to move. He wouldn't start unless I had my foot on the floor now and even then he was hardly reving up. I pop the hood and look at the carb linkage and start moving the throttle cable. The butterfly was barely opening up at full throttle. I had to wire the butterfly open to get back up the driveway. I hate this old carb. I think I am going to invest in a new intake when I get back. BUT on a better side, I have a new project to do on Mater. I am going to pull the padding off of my door panels cause it is peeling back anyways. I have diamond plate I am going to replace it with!!! I will get some pics up as I get it done. I have to go and get some metal cutting blades for my jig saw.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:17 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
carbs..

The butterflies should be forced to move with the throttle linkage.

Is that the choke plate that was closed? If it's electric, check that you are getting power to the choke housing.
If it has a riser from the exhaust manifold, just loosen the 3 screws and adjust it until it opens a bit.

I always found i had to adjust the old holley for hot and cold weather.

My 66 sat for a month, and mud daubers had decided to almost completely encase my alt. pulley. I jumped it from the psd and vroom..

I'll say this for the holley pro-jection:

1. Improved mileage = no

2. Consistent = no

3. Reliable = YES!

Lets get an EFI intake for the 460, wire it up to a megasquirt EFI controller, put a trigger on the crank and let it control the ignition too.

party on wayne

Old 08-20-2008, 08:41 AM
mudder460
Posting Guru
The choke has the capability of being electric, I just don't know what wire is the stator wire off the alternator. So right now it is using a riser tube. I have been fighting with the choke for a while now. Either way I think something went bad inside cause the butterfly should still open with the throttle. I dunno, that Offy 4bbl intake and a 500cfm carb are looking really good. As for that 460, I am trying to sell it right now. No money or time to put into it.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:46 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Something else to consider....

When you ran him out of fuel you might have drawn some crap into the filter and plugged it up.

Or, Mater might just be pizzed at you for leaving him sitting for a month all alone.