S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Welcome brian213!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:15 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome brian213!

Our newest chapter member - from Palmdale!

Thanks for getting on board with the chapter, Brian.

Tell us a little about what you are driving!

Old 07-29-2008, 10:55 AM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome Brian!

Old 07-29-2008, 12:23 PM
brian213
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!

I got my 1995 F-350 long bed crew cab XLT with a big rack on top back in 2003. I got it almost 250000 miles on it. It's got a bit more than that now.

I got it for pulling a 20' toy hauler from Glendale to Willow Springs and back as my Mazda B4000 didn't seem to be enjoying the trip much at all.

I once (back in 2003 or 2004) hit the center divider on the 14 South with it. It didn't like that and needed a new steering gear box. I finally replaced the fender and front bumper this year...it looks much better. I have also replaced the windscreen and hood hinges since the tow truck driver didn't latch the hood.

I get pretty crappy mileage while pulling the trailer...it should be that heavy (may be, I haven't weighed it and just added rear AirLift 5000 bags in the back for it). I get about 12mpg calculated...that's a quarter of a tank one way to the race track about 30 miles away. Ugh.

The turbo and exhaust are stock. I want to gut the cat. and put a straight pipe on.

The truck usually has a hard time starting in the winter (it gets below 32F here). Plugging it in usually solves that. I just got a new glow plug relay and need to install that.

It also hiccups sometimes at a light, and sometimes just shuts off at a light. I bought a new camshaft position sensor for that and need to install it as well.

I have replaced the A/C compressor since it seized on me...it's HOT out here and I drove for almost 2 years without one running. Mass amounts of heat come into the cab from somewhere. I'd like to figure that out.

My driver's door seems to make a noise at speed. I figure since the truck is more than 12 years old it's complaining about the door seal...not sure yet.

My cruise control stopped working about 2-3 years ago and I'd like to get that going again.

The lighter socket has stopped working a while ago. No fuses are blown. Maybe when I get under the dash for some of these other things I can figure that out.

Last thing for now, at a light I must put it in neutral due to the fact that it creeps while in gear with the clutch in. It's often hard to get it into first and reverse. I found a web page talking about this issue and bought the bushing, a washer and C-clip to attempt a more permanent to fix this. I wonder if that is why it creeps and is hard to get in gear. I don't know if the pedal has always gone as low as it does since the truck had a lot of miles on it when I got it...but if it is too low, that web page says this is the fix for it.

Enough for now.

Thanks for the welcome and wish me luck this weekend!

Cheers!

-Brian

Old 07-29-2008, 12:33 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That motor's just getting broken in!!

If I'm not mistaken, there is a recall on the cruise-control that your truck should be eligible for. Trucks have burned up due to a short in the wiring, so you may want to consult a dealership on that.

Good luck - do you race out at Willow every weekend?