1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

removing 1952 radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 02:40 PM
-Jim G
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
removing 1952 radiator?

Hi, I am new to this forum.

I recently inherited my Dad's 1952 Mercury M-1, and I am trying to get it back to running condition. The only major problem is that it has a leak in the radiator. The leak is high on the radiator and not so bad that I didn't drive it last year, but I want to fix it.

I have removed the fan shroud and fan blades and I have unbolted the radiator at the sides, but I cannot figure out how to loosen the bolts on the bottom (the two bolts with the springs). These just turn with the wrench and I cannot figure out how to get at the top of the bolts. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:24 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Jim

First welcome to FTE the best Forum on the internet, at least this section.

You shouldn't need to remove those bottom bolts, those hold the radiator mounting bracket, and the whole front end.
There should be three bolts on each side flange, remove those and slide the rad up and out.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:54 PM
ssj7kids
Elder User
Jim, welcome aboard... this is a GREAT board, with a lot of GREAT guys and gals. A TON of experience and good and bad advice. Glad to have you here.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:55 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Welcome!

Dick's got it, although it's much easier said than done! You can't lift it straight up with the hood in place, but with the fan out, you can angle it.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:57 PM
-Jim G
Senior User
Originally Posted by ssj7kids
Jim, welcome aboard... this is a GREAT board, with a lot of GREAT guys and gals. A TON of experience and good and bad advice. Glad to have you here.
Wow! Fast responses, and decent advice... You are not kidding this is a GREAT board... I am so glad that I found this place. With my M-1 I will only need to tap a half-TON of experience .

Now that I have my radiator out, I am wondering if I am wise to attempt the repair with the kneadable epoxy (Permatex Gas Tank and Radiator Repair)? Anyone with experience using this stuff? - I'd like to hear your opinions.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:03 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Flatheads have a reutation for running hot anyway, so unless you KNOW the radiator is really clean and in good shape, I'd spring for tank removal and rodding out the tubes, soldering up any leaks, and chemical cleaning. While it's out thoroughly flush the engine. I bit the bullet early in mine's life with me, and now it runs at a solid 190 even when it's 90 deg out and I'm in traffic.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:19 PM
-Jim G
Senior User
Thanks for that advice Ross... I brought the radiator to a shop and had it boiled out and soldered.

Now, with the radiator reinstalled, I am looking at the fan belt and the generator belt. The belts seem to be in good shape, but the fan belt is loose. It looks as if I need to loosen the generator in order to tighten the fan belt. Is there a neat technique for tightening both of these belts at once? Do I need two tools for spreading the pulleys?

Sorry if my questions are too basic, I am new to being a flathead mechanic.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:46 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Welcome to the wonderful world of fat-fendered trucks with engines buried deep down, out of reach! Yes, you need to tighten the generator belt first, and that is best accomplished by finding a really long heavy screwdriver, or a skinny tire iron, to pry the gen upwards, working against the top of the timing cover or whatever else you can get purchase against. (You may be able to get a screwdrive under the gen bracket from the back side, too -- but watch out for the electrical connections!) Then you do the fan in a similar manner. It's ugly but after a few times it isn't bad. You don't want the belts real tight!!! It will burn up the water pump bearings/bushings, or the generator bearing.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:55 PM
-Jim G
Senior User
Thanks Ross!
I really appreciate your advice and support.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:02 AM
Scott123
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My technique I used to tighten my flattie's alternator belt...I used a 2x4 about 4-5 feet long, rested one end on the lip where the cowl meets the firewall, looped a rope around the alternator and 2x4, and gently raised up on the 2x4 with one hand while bumping the altenator with my other hand making sure it was raising evenly. Worked like a charm. Running an electric fan so didn't have to mess with that belt, but I've always had a hellacious time trying to get the altenator belt adjusted just right, working by myself.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:28 PM
-Jim G
Senior User
You guys at FTE really do ROCK!

I managed to get the old girl running tonight for the first time this year. I could not have done this without all of the knowledge and support that I have found here.

I have not needed to ask many questions, but I have been lurking and learning.

I have created a gallery and an album and have posted some pictures there. I will have to learn how to post pictures in the threads...

Thank you all so much for helping to make this happen!

Old 08-08-2008, 06:45 AM
-Jim G
Senior User
My Truck(s)

Now I have figured out how to post a pic... aint she a beauty. (even with a year's worth of garage dust on the cab)

Old 08-08-2008, 07:48 AM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
Very nice indeed, I love these trucks with the contrasting colors and am thinking of something similar on mine after the body work is done. Really nice.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:50 AM
cts1954
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jim G

Nice truck, I too will have black fenders some day. I looked at your gallery and it is good you can continue the love for this truck as did your Father and I hope you pass it along as well. I bought my truck in 1978 and I hope when the time comes my son has the same appreciation of it as you do ( I believe he will). I don't figure on going anywhere soon but you never know and I am getting a little anxious to get my truck into the condition that your is in just so I can enjoy it for a while before my son has the opportunity.

Good luck and take care of the Merc

Old 08-08-2008, 10:23 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Welcome Jim

Very nice truck indeed; I'm envious for the stock condition !

I'm glad you have the appreciation for what you have; and you are carrying on the truck tradition. Only recently someone posted here interested only in what they could get for an inherited truck.

Kepp on truckin'

Tom

Quick Reply: removing 1952 radiator?