Dealer anger. I need to get over it to get a great truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 11:15 AM
joebloe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer anger. I need to get over it to get a great truck

But I'm not sure I can.

We're looking at an off lease locally owned and serviced 05 Excursion XLT 6.8 4x4 with 32,000 miles. He had it listed for $19,995 and we got him down to $16,500, no money down. Our 2000 ltd 6.8 with 115,000 miles fetched $4500 leaving me in the hole a little, but not unacceptable for what should be a nice tow vehicle for the next 10 years or so.

The whole experience with trying to work with the finance dept. has left my wife and I so furious we dont want to go back, but the truck is fantastic. But I want to smack the financing guy for being a.....financing guy! Lies, distortions, semantics, I just can't stand it. He even told me he would have, "a hard time accepting" the outside financing I had arranged before going since we couldn't agree on a monthly payment through FMC. What!?

Finally, two hours of negotiating and six trips to the office (I and then we were the only customers in this Ford dealership for the two days this took), we got within $3 of the budget my wife set for me, and she gave the green light. We're writing up the paperwork and I reminded finance guy that the AC has to be recharged, a fact noted and dealt with on the test drive with salesguy. He actually said to me, "we've gone out on a limb as far as we can, and Service is closed already anyway".

I just looked at him in stunned silence for a few seconds and without a word got up with my wife, gathered the kids and walked out. Not gonna recharge the A/C in July, my ***!

So it's now the next morning and a few minutes ago they call and, of course "the X is being serviced right now and the deal we hit last night still stands".

I can still feel the acid in my gut from the anger. The fight the wife and I had last night (afterward, unrelated subject) surely had something to do with the residual of this experience.

But it's a great truck. So tell me FTE, do I just suck it up and get my truck and try not to look the man in the face?

(Apologies for the first post rant)

Old 07-26-2008, 11:46 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there's no way to be polite so .. scr-w him and that dealership. go elsewhere and talk to them , then go back in and show them and tell them this is what you get for being a freaking buttmunch. i did on the wifes current car , a pt loozer . she wanted one bad , a vert , and the local dealership had one with the options and color she wanted . they pulled the samre kinda games , and like you were throwing a fit about the bank financing it . long story short went outta town found her the car she wanted came back and drove onto the lot went in and asked for the manager and told him about his / their games and how po'd they made me , took him outside , pointed to her car and said by the way so and so in town x just made the sale and got my money . as he was stammering about something i told him to go f- him self and that i would never be back to his dealership , and would never recommend them to anyone else . hit 'em in the pocket book especially with the problems the're all having now , that will get your point across !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-26-2008, 12:39 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A hard-learned lesson ........ NEVER let anger make a decision for you. If the deal suits you, take it, anger notwithstanding.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:47 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will never do business with FMC, as a whole they are very devious and scammers. I just line up a loan elsewhere, come in with a check and they don't need to know any more about it. I also get in a huge fight over Dealer fee's, paper fee's or any other BS fee they try and add on at the end. I have only seen 1 place do it right. They simply add anything in to the price they quote you and don't try and tack on total BS at the end of the negotiations. Ford Motor Credit is a black eye on the blue oval as far as I am concerned.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:23 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
When buying ANYTHING, it NEEDS to be a positive experience. If they left a bad taste in your mouth, you need to go somewhere else, in my opinion. I won't do business with someone I don't like, or at least doesn't respect me and my family. It may be a good buy, but right now, trucks are all over the place for sale. Another one will come by for you to purchase.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:32 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,098 Likes on 4,183 Posts
Some good advice from others.

My perspective...NEVER make negotiations personal...no one wins when someone gets pi**ed and loses their temper. You can not negotiate effectively unless you are willing to walk away from the deal.

Now...how badly do you want that particular vehicle??? The answer to that question will determine if you go back or not.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:36 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,098 Likes on 4,183 Posts
Originally Posted by 55 f350
there's no way to be polite so .. scr-w him and that dealership. go elsewhere and talk to them , then go back in and show them and tell them this is what you get for being a freaking buttmunch. i did on the wifes current car , a pt loozer . she wanted one bad , a vert , and the local dealership had one with the options and color she wanted . they pulled the samre kinda games , and like you were throwing a fit about the bank financing it . long story short went outta town found her the car she wanted came back and drove onto the lot went in and asked for the manager and told him about his / their games and how po'd they made me , took him outside , pointed to her car and said by the way so and so in town x just made the sale and got my money . as he was stammering about something i told him to go f- him self and that i would never be back to his dealership , and would never recommend them to anyone else . hit 'em in the pocket book especially with the problems the're all having now , that will get your point across !!!!!!!!!!!!!

HMMMMMM...I bet they give you preferential treatment when you try to go there for warranty work!!!

Old 07-26-2008, 02:49 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
which dealer ken ??? the one here in town ? i dont go back there period . when it has needed work she takes it over to where we got it in a smaller town and they treat her like gold . i dont even think about going to these guys here , not even if they have the only kanuter valve { no such thing } for my 1216 whatchamacallit and it'll sit if i dont buy it . just have another yard ornament . they really were jerks here and it left a rather bad impression . in the news some time ago the dealer {s} here were lamenting the fact that so many were going to the smaller dealers and asking for some new tax besides the one we already have , if you buy your new car outside of springfield . gee guys wake up there's a reason why we all go outta town . maybe if i print this thread and mail it to 'em they might be able to figure it out . oh and i got her car almost 3 grand cheaper than the dealer here too ! worth a short drive .......

Old 07-26-2008, 04:57 PM
joebloe
New User
Originally Posted by dono
A hard-learned lesson ........ NEVER let anger make a decision for you. If the deal suits you, take it, anger notwithstanding.
That's the thing. I told the man time after time what we could pay. Period. We drew little lines and signed our names next to little x's (twice!) saying we would "buy right now" at this price. I wasn't angry until I got nickle and dimed once too often, and then I never showed it in the dealership. We walked out basically without a word.

But you're right. I saw what this was going to turn into the first time I came back from looking in on the kids, before financing had even begun, and overheard salesguy telling my not-so-automotive savvy wife how they were taking a huge loss at $16,500. Sure, we're responsible for FMC's decison to move as many vehicles as possible with cheap ole 36 month leases.

This was the first time I told him if our offer was no good, he should let us go and sell it to someone else. There would be several others after this, with three hours more to waste.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:59 PM
joebloe
New User
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
When buying ANYTHING, it NEEDS to be a positive experience. If they left a bad taste in your mouth, you need to go somewhere else, in my opinion. I won't do business with someone I don't like, or at least doesn't respect me and my family. It may be a good buy, but right now, trucks are all over the place for sale. Another one will come by for you to purchase.
This is where we're at currently. We wont go back.

I'm looking at some 04 Limited Ultra (or whatever) models with more miles but lots less money. We're going for comfort options now.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:17 PM
racingrick
Freshman User
It is always a pain in the *** to buy a vehicle.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:42 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
F&I guys are the worse scammers in the dealership and are there to rake in the money in the most devious ways possible.

When ever this vehicle needs work, it will always leave a bad taste in your mouth.

I would skip it and move on, you never know what else they have done or will do to the vehicle to spite you.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:25 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,591 Likes on 1,296 Posts
A 2005 with 32,000 miles needs the air recharged... HHhhmmm.

My '98 Exploder with 85,000 still blows cold, and it had all the usual Exploder problems.

"So tell me, Mr Horse's ___ Dealer, did you check the system for leaks, or am I going to be back in here in a couple of weeks with a dead AC?"

So IF you go back, consider that as well.

Where do them boys think their paychecks are going to come from, anyway?

Old 07-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had good luck with fmc the one time I used them, I've found its usually the dealership...not Ford...

I've reacently quit going to the dealership I bought my truck from due to the HORRIBLE service experiences....nothing was ever going to be covered under warranty...and they always found a way to weasel out of doing things.....

Old 07-27-2008, 10:56 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Except for the van I purchased at Van Bortel (best dealership experience I've ever had) I've always had a loan approved by an outside source before going into the Ford dealership. Its their job to beat it. If they can't then I use outside financing. My last truck was paid for with cash as will all future purchases (except when they offer both rebates and 0%).

I can't, in all fairness, use my dealership experiences as a benchmark since FTE started because the FTE connection has always resulted in a better experience. I can say that I've heard enough horror stories to advise anyone with a bad dealer experience to shop elsewhere. There are too many dealer options out there to have to settle for a poor dealership.

The one thing to remember when purchasing a vehicle is he who wants the deal the most loses. Be prepared to walk away (I've done it, and had a salesman running after my car promising me he'd stop the crap). Make sure the salesman/financing wants the deal more than you do and don't BS with them. There shouldn't be hours of negotiation... that's just a tactic to wear you down. If they don't give me what I want under the terms I want there isn't anything to negotiate and I leave. Far too many vehicles out there to have to settle for anything, especially in today's market. Last deal I got was a King Ranch Powerstroke with a blue book of $29K for $19K, plus new tires.

Quick Reply: Dealer anger. I need to get over it to get a great truck