General Automotive Discussion

Dealer anger. I need to get over it to get a great truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 04:02 AM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
And just remember, if you are looking into a Truck or SUV, right now you are holding all the cards.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:26 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have bought my Fords using the "A" plan. I pick the color and options that I want and call my dealer (6 vehicles so far). If they cannot locate what I want locally, it shows up from the factory in about 4-6 weeks. I just found out that the salesman I have used for all my purchases has moved to a Toyota dealer.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:08 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Unfortunately it doesn't cover used vehicles....

Old 07-28-2008, 03:48 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm not in the car business but in my opinion if there was ever anything that needed a makeover from a business model perspective you are dealing with it now. It can't be all that convaluted or someone would figure out a more efficient way to do it. It must be that way because the dealers want it to be.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:49 PM
PROSTOCK
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by FTE Ken
The one thing to remember when purchasing a vehicle is he who wants the deal the most loses. Be prepared to walk away (I've done it, and had a salesman running after my car promising me he'd stop the crap). Make sure the salesman/financing wants the deal more than you do and don't BS with them. There shouldn't be hours of negotiation... that's just a tactic to wear you down. If they don't give me what I want under the terms I want there isn't anything to negotiate and I leave. Far too many vehicles out there to have to settle for anything, especially in today's market. Last deal I got was a King Ranch Powerstroke with a blue book of $29K for $19K, plus new tires.
Absolutely right on! That certainly works.
I bought a used Towncar from a LM dealer. It had these ugly chrome covers on the lower part of the doors and rear fenders...they were stick-on and one was missing already. The price was right IF they removed those things..agreed. Went to pick the car up and the monkeys thay had do the work used straight razor blades and scratched the hell out of the paint....I don't know what they were thinking. I pitched the keys on the table and said it's all yours now. They then, unbelievably, told me they would have a touch-up done and that it would only cost ME $100! Uh?!!! Again, the keys got pitched on the table and eventually they repainted the bottom of the car.

Very dangerous to fall in love with a deal before its done.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:26 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
"The one thing to remember when purchasing a vehicle is he who wants the deal the most loses."

No truer words were ever said.

Also, NEVER forget that toys aren't worth getting ripped off. There will always be more toys, and as fuel costs relentlessly hammer owners who don't really need their machines you can get better and better deals.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:26 PM
smokestone52
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometimes it just takes patience. I have two nice cars, but both eat quite a bit of dinosaurs, so I recently bought (gulp) a Hyundai Accent to use as a run around puddle jumper. (I doubt it could jump a puddle!)

I am telling you the place we bought this 05 car that is worth 6000 bucks and we paid cash for, was a nightmare. I was even threatened by lawsuit for scamming them. Huh. First they had my name and phone no. wrong, the second day I went there. Second they were talking about the wrong vehicle. I knew they had me mixed up with someone else, but I could not get them to straighten it out. By the fourth day I had let it go and planned on shopping else where. Lo and behold, they called me offering many apolgies. I agreed to one more trip to the dealer. All done and said out the door, I paid 4995 for that little puddle smasher. Too much, for such little metal!

I think that with todays economy and people freaked about gas prices, dealers are two tents (to tense). By no means should anyone give a stealership one inch of slack. But keep it in mind!

Later, Rick

Old 07-28-2008, 08:02 PM
joebloe
New User
Well, we went 25 miles south and found an 04 limited, 70,000 miles, with what seems to be every option, for $12,995. Bought it this morning and Thursday it gets the Prodigy installed, justin time for a 10 day trip. I am so psyched to get this big girl out on the road. After riding in it for 150 miles today, I know my springs were shot in the 2000, so towing 9000 lbs should be a much more enjoyable experience.

Anyone know if I can retrofit the 2004 with Ford integrated towing system from 2005?

Old 07-28-2008, 08:50 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Congrats, it looks like you got a good deal. A little cheaper than the one you were going to buy, but some more miles. How much towing are you going to be doing? You mentioned the springs were shot on your 2000. Was it the springs, or could it have been the shocks? When towing, a good set of shocks can make all the difference in the world. I know bilsteins are the preferred shock on this site. You may want to keep that in mind for your new ride. Can't answer the question about the towing system. Someone else will chime in on it for you.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:13 PM
joebloe
New User
YEah, the miles dont bother me so much since the dealership owner handed me the entire folder of the trucks service history. His wifes dad owned it and ran customers around in it for his construction business, so its never towed a mile before. They were meticulous about fluids and filters and had every little thing replaced, even fixing a heated seat two years ago. That's what I like to see.

As far as the shocks, I had them replaced in the 2000 in Dec. with some Monroes and that helped a lot, but you can tell when a piece of the suspention that big has lost it's bounce now that we've drivin this one around.

Shocks on this one seem to be original, so that'll have to be remedied soon. What I'll really miss is the $1200 in brake upgrades I did to my old truck. Oh well, small price to pay for my new to me gas guzzler

Old 07-28-2008, 09:21 PM
h2odrx
Junior User
Glad you found one! My dealer here is ok. I haven't bought anything from them, but the parts and service! (head service man has been a friend for almost 20 years) I get good deals and fast service! It took me 2 years to find my crew cab. Had one picked out talked the guy down, got the money lined up and didn't call him to tell him. Got an email that night that he sold it. Got a newer truck for less money! Good deals come to those who wait!

Old 07-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Gevans17
Posting Guru
A little advice for the showroom

Never, ever talk monthly payment with the dealer. All they are doing is stretching out your loan payments over more months. Set your sales price and stick to it. He can either take it or leave it. Got to be prepared to walk away at least twice! .....if they dont want your business, chances are, someone else does. That salesman you spent days haggling with wont make a dime if you walk away. Dont let them get under your skin...is all a big game..got to be ready to play it!

Old 07-29-2008, 12:03 AM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Always walk into a dealership with both feet aimed the other way and let them know it first thing.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:57 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cracks me up, you know these sales guys are under strain by the dealership owner to make as much money as possible, right? so why tell a salesman to go f-himself? shows zero class on your part. what you think the salesman cares if he sells it for 20 vs 19?...most of the time no,but his sales manager does.

you put the guy in a spot by insulting him, most of the time the sales person would love to crack some skulls,but since his job,paying bills are far more important than classless antics brought on by the customer........think about it next time you prepare to lose your cool with the rep.

im not a car dealer,but have been in the customer service field long enough,and seen plenty of bs come flying out of trashy,tasteless, characterless,low Iq'd trash long enough

picture me walking into your home to buy your used TV set,we start to negotiate,im not liking your price,or i feel like im being screwed....now i tell you to go f-your self.......... wheres the difference? the only difference is the pride that salesman is trying to keep up,and no one should have to go through that,especially where they work

Old 07-29-2008, 10:33 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Ther should be no reason to tell anybody to go f@@k themselves in any kind of business deal, which is what you engage yourself in when you go to buy something. Both parties should be adult enough to handle any negotiation in a proper manor. If one party doesn't, then it's time to walk away from the deal. And it can be done in a professional manor so as not to insult either party involved. I'm sure most salesmen are professional, otherwise they'd be pretty thin. I can see where dealing with the loan officer at the dealership could cause a deal to go sour. Even so, you should be professional at all times.

Quick Reply: Dealer anger. I need to get over it to get a great truck