1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Thanks for the help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:40 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the help...

Hi Folks,
A few days ago I posted a question about the 4WD not working on the '91 Explorer I am going to use for a donor vehicle for my '53 F-100 project. It turned out to be a problem with the actuator motor not fully engaging. I jumpered to the motor and got it into the 4WD Low position and then disconnected it. Until I start to take it apart I will be using it around here as more of a tractor than anything else. While I was under it I decided to do a thorough inspection of everything and get more ideas about what I am going to do with the parts I want to use.

I plan on using the complete frame, axels, steering, and suspension from the Explorer. As I looked things over I noted the rear drum breaks. I would really like to have disc brakes on the rear as well as the front. Here is my question: Is there any easy way available to convert the rear '91 Explorer straight axel to disc brakes. I am wondering if Ford made any thing with this rear axel with disc brakes on it, or something near enough to it that could be converted or made to work. I have machine shop equipment, so it is possible I could come up with something to adapt with. One thought I had was finding some of the type rotors that slide on over the studs that has a 4.5" bolt circle and making something to fasten the calipers to the backplate flange.

If anyone out there has done this I would be very interested in hearing about it. I am equally interested in any sugestions on possible sources of parts from donor vehicles. Knowing what to look for is a great help.

Later Folks...

Old 07-25-2008, 08:51 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,840 Likes on 1,839 Posts
Dave,

I think the later model Exploders have rear discs. I'm not sure what year they changed over though. It's probably easiest to swap in a later model diff.

Bobby

Old 07-25-2008, 09:23 AM
reg1952
Senior User
I have a diff. from a 99 exploder.It already has disc. on it.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:23 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Dave,

I think the later model Exploders have rear discs. I'm not sure what year they changed over though. It's probably easiest to swap in a later model diff.

Bobby
Hi Bobby,
That's a problem in terms of expense and I need the same ratio as the front dif. because of the 4WD. That's hard to find in a junkyard, or in the local calssifieds. Another thing is that I have driven and tested the Explorer I have and I know the stuff is good. With parts from another one I would be taking a chance.

The latest Explorers have IRS and I'm not sure if there were any with straight rear axels and disc brakes. Maybe someone else here will know. Thanks for your reply.

Later Man...

Old 07-25-2008, 10:02 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,840 Likes on 1,839 Posts
I understand about using the parts on hand. My budget is non-existant as well. I'm sure there were straight rear axle'e with disc brakes, reg1952 mentioned that his 99 has discs.

Maybe you can hit a wrecking yard and get the necessary brackets,calipers, etc from a later diff and adapt them to your older one. Shouldn't be too much of a modification.

Bobby

Old 07-25-2008, 11:08 AM
merc546
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The irs explorer didn't happen until 2002

Chuck

Old 07-25-2008, 11:10 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Question???

Originally Posted by reg1952
I have a diff. from a 99 exploder.It already has disc. on it.
Does your '99 have leaf springs and a straight axel? I'm not too familiar with the Explorer line from year to year. We have a '95 Explorer which I know has some differences from the '91. I pretty sure it has drums on the back. For all I know it could be that disc brakes were an option at some point.

I'm pretty sure that with all the knowledge people on this forum have that someone is going to know all the details. I have noticed over the years that Ford likes to make a lot of subtle changes even within model years. That coupled with option package choices makes for a lot of possibilities.

Later Man...

Old 07-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Brian_B
Postmaster
The 95 to 2001 explorer has a solid rear axle (8.8) and has disk brakes on it. The 91-94 had drum brakes. The rear end swap should be almost bolt in (not quite sure the difference in the E-brake hookup). All the explorers up until 2001 were leaf springs in the rear. The "sport" (2 door) had mono leafs.

Mine is a 4 door "sport package". I has 16" wheels, 4.10 trac-lock rear, fender flares, and step bars...just like the 2 door version.

The IRS happened in 2002...which is why I have a 2001 (4X4). I would not buy a 2002+ when I was looking for one for that reason.

What gear ratios is the front axle in yours now? That will determine how common the matching rear axle would be.

Post that up and I will try to help from there.

You are aware that the master cylinder for disk/disk is different from the disk/drum one as well (I hope). I am not sure if the later one has a proportioning valve build it or not...but I think it does. If it does not...you will need to add one of those too.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:51 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
More answers and more questions...

Originally Posted by Brian_B
The 95 to 2001 explorer has a solid rear axle (8.8) and has disk brakes on it. The 91-94 had drum brakes. The rear end swap should be almost bolt in (not quite sure the difference in the E-brake hookup). All the explorers up until 2001 were leaf springs in the rear. The "sport" (2 door) had mono leafs.

Mine is a 4 door "sport package". I has 16" wheels, 4.10 trac-lock rear, fender flares, and step bars...just like the 2 door version.

What gear ratios is the front axle in yours now? That will determine how common the matching rear axle would be.

Post that up and I will try to help from there.

You are aware that the master cylinder for disk/disk is different from the disk/drum one as well (I hope). I am not sure if the later one has a proportioning valve build it or not...but I think it does. If it does not...you will need to add one of those too.
I have no idea what the gaer ratio is on the '91. I don't even know where to look. There is a tag on the front dif but it's pretty wasted so I may not be able to tell.

I did get a chance to look at our '95 and it does have disc brakes as you said, and all that anti-lock crap including an electric hydraulic pump. I also noticed that the rear axel and flanges look the same as on the '91. Now, my qiestion is, do the rotors fit over the wheel studs and if so, can I use them on my axels? The proporting valve should not be a big deal I would think. If I find a vehicle with the brakes I need I ought to be able to find the valve. Truth is, around here I might just be able to find one that is getting parted out and buy the whole thing cheaper than dealing with the junkyard crooks.

Later Man...

Old 07-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
No clue if the later rotors will work on your drum axles. You would have to switch everything over...backing plates and all to do that. I would think that unbolting the driveshaft and U-bolts and just swapping the whole rear end might be easier in the long run. If you can find one the right ratio to match the front.

Do you have the body (or more importantly) the drivers door left? That has the ratio on it.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:01 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Brian_B
No clue if the later rotors will work on your drum axles. You would have to switch everything over...backing plates and all to do that. I would think that unbolting the driveshaft and U-bolts and just swapping the whole rear end might be easier in the long run. If you can find one the right ratio to match the front.

Do you have the body (or more importantly) the drivers door left? That has the ratio on it.
Yep, I have the whole car. As I said above, we use it to drag stuff around here. Here again, I have more time than money and I know what I have is good. You won't get that guarantee from any JYs around here.

I looked at the door and under axel it says 45, whatever that means.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:11 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
There is a tag on the rear dif but it's just mainly numbers. I can get them if it would help.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
I think...45 means a 4.10 open axle. I would let some of the guys who know gears better than I answer that one. I am not sure and not even sure where to find it right now.

It would have an H or B or something in it, if the rear was a trac-lock. Chevy version is called a limited slip.