Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Not pretty. Ford posts 8.6billion loss in the second quarter.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:14 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BLK94F150
And the 2008 JD Power and Assoc Vehicle Dependability study.

2008 Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) | J.D. Power and Associates

Ford is just barely above average for a solid C. I'm not impressed.

Mike
Funny thing is, Mercury is at second place, Mercury = Ford. Are there even any models that Mercury has that there isn't a Ford equivalent?

Old 08-12-2008, 08:50 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Our Mercury is over 20 years old an still running like a top. In the 150 Ford dependability study it passes with flying colors. Mike youll never be impressed. So I will stop trying. If a product has proven itself to you over the years. You get a bit loyal to it. Dollar for dollar. A Crown vic or grand Marquies are the best value for your money. Dependable an relaible. Ford makes a great car now. Thats all I have owned an they have never let me down once. Have driven all off them over 100000 miles with no problems. Look like relaible an dependable cars to me. Sorry I have never driven a Honda or Toyota so dont no about them. But I dont have reason to.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:09 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 92f150I6
Funny thing is, Mercury is at second place, Mercury = Ford. Are there even any models that Mercury has that there isn't a Ford equivalent?
The "dealer experience" can influence these surveys. Since Mercury is sold and serviced at a more "upscale" Lincoln-Mercury store, maybe that explains it. Also, Grand Marquis' tend have more "mature" owners that probably "baby" the cars. That may also explain why Buick usually scores high on these surveys, even if they are built in the same factories as Chevy and Pontiac and share many parts.

Jim

Old 08-13-2008, 01:59 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 150ford
Our Mercury is over 20 years old an still running like a top. In the 150 Ford dependability study it passes with flying colors. Mike youll never be impressed. So I will stop trying. If a product has proven itself to you over the years. You get a bit loyal to it. Dollar for dollar. A Crown vic or grand Marquies are the best value for your money. Dependable an relaible. Ford makes a great car now. Thats all I have owned an they have never let me down once. Have driven all off them over 100000 miles with no problems. Look like relaible an dependable cars to me. Sorry I have never driven a Honda or Toyota so dont no about them. But I dont have reason to.
The problem is your letting feelings drive your beliefs vs facts and numbers. Ford could culd roll a turd on 4 wheels off the line and you'd salute that thing all day.

Some of have a set of features an amenties we want when we purcahse a vehicle. For me I wanted a realiable diesel moter with a 6 speed auto. Ford did not produce that. My wife wanted a dependable hybrid mid-size vehicle again Ford did not produce that. So we ended up with a Chevy and a Toyota. For those of us willing to jump brands and take the best each company has to offer we're usually happier vs making 1 companies offering fit into our lifestyle.

You need to learn FORD DOES NOT CARE about you other then your greenbacks and neither does any other maker of vehicles.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:36 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Yeh I suppose a lot off people let brand loyalty get the best off them. Maybe I one off them. Maybe I can change who noes. Like i siad the Ford cars have proven themselves to me.As well as the trucks so why change when they have been good to me. I think all auto companies have had some duds over the years. Nobodies immune to that. Ok DMAX how many Ford cars an trucks have you owned over the years. Just curious.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:16 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
The problem is your letting feelings drive your beliefs vs facts and numbers. Ford could culd roll a turd on 4 wheels off the line and you'd salute that thing all day.

Some of have a set of features an amenties we want when we purcahse a vehicle. For me I wanted a realiable diesel moter with a 6 speed auto. Ford did not produce that. My wife wanted a dependable hybrid mid-size vehicle again Ford did not produce that. So we ended up with a Chevy and a Toyota. For those of us willing to jump brands and take the best each company has to offer we're usually happier vs making 1 companies offering fit into our lifestyle.

You need to learn FORD DOES NOT CARE about you other then your greenbacks and neither does any other maker of vehicles.
So the 6.4l and torqueshift isn't a "Reliable Diesel Motor". The duramax isn't any better and the torqueshift is a 6 speed with with a 5spd pattern when warm. Looks like you should have done more research. What toyota comes with a diesel and a 6spd?

I guess Chevy and Toyota REALLY care about you, huh.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:20 AM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Originally Posted by dkf
So the 6.4l and torqueshift isn't a "Reliable Diesel Motor". The duramax isn't any better and the torqueshift is a 6 speed with with a 5spd pattern when warm. Looks like you should have done more research. What toyota comes with a diesel and a 6spd?

I guess Chevy and Toyota REALLY care about you, huh.
Well since he has an 07, perhaps the 6.4 was not out yet and I can't blame him for not wanting a first run 6.4 following the 6.0.

No Toyota in the US come with a diesel 6spd. That's why he bought the Chevy. Few make mid size hybrids, that's why he bought the Toyota.

Show me two vehicles that Ford makes that satisfies any of those requirements without deviating off topic or getting into a are hybrids worth the price BS.

There is not an automaker out there that cares about you period.

Mike

Old 08-14-2008, 08:36 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BLK94F150
Well since he has an 07, perhaps the 6.4 was not out yet and I can't blame him for not wanting a first run 6.4 following the 6.0.

No Toyota in the US come with a diesel 6spd. That's why he bought the Chevy. Few make mid size hybrids, that's why he bought the Toyota.

Show me two vehicles that Ford makes that satisfies any of those requirements without deviating off topic or getting into a are hybrids worth the price BS.

There is not an automaker out there that cares about you period.

Mike
Just pullin his leg a little there Hoss.

The 6.4l was certainly out. His 07' has the DPF and all other garb required to meet the new truck emmisions just like the 08' SD. The Duramax with DPF and other emmission meeting equipment was also the First run. Ford came out with the 08's early, they could have labeled them an 07' but chose to jump to the 08' model year. (Kinda like Ford did with the redesigned SD in 98') You could order a 99' SD in March of 98'. Well Ford offers a 6spd manual thats a 6spd. The 6.4l with the Torqueshift has very similar performance numbers to the beloved D/A combo and the Ford is over 1000lbs heavier. Looks like you need to educate yourself better also.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:01 AM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
I didn't look at his truck so I just went both ways. Either the 6.4 wasn't out yet or he didn't want to try his luck after the 6.0. I know the 08s were out very early as we have a very early one at work.

I think we both know that he was talking about an auto tranny and I'm also aware of the performance similarities. None the less, the Ford does not meet his requirements.

I have no idea on fuel mileage between the two, but I know that the 6.4 drinks it down. Perhaps the Dmax does better on fuel.

Mike

Old 08-15-2008, 06:20 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just look at the Domestics, They offer just about anything a person wants/needs.

I still say their quality/durability are just as good/better than anything the Japanese are selling.

The new Focus, Malibu will stack up against the Corolla/Civic.

As for JD Powers, Do You really think that the Lemmings are going to answer the survey honestly/objectively? They've been brainwashed into thinking one way. They are not going to go against their programing. They'll answer the way that makes Them feel happy/satisfied with their car buying decision. I take JD Powers opinions with as much salt as Consumer Reports.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:35 AM
duke1992lx
Freshman User
The fact remains that at least since 1986 there about ( i was only about 16 then). Everyone was praiseing every single foreign automaker.(remember the yuppies?) about the same time we had the "Buy American" campaign. The same people that sang all the praises then, bought those cars and their kids are now the 20-somethings praising the same very vehicles. Next time you drive around look at all the 20 year old trucks still on the road. must be dependable-or cheaper to fix. you decide. I have a yard full of vehicles, only one being an actual forgein car. my Mazda minivan. good options and a great price.(i use to sell new ford products and chrysler prod. for a while) We all can MAKE the factories do what we want-remember when ford was going to make the probe the new mustang? what changed that? get this-- a LETTER writing campaign by the public. They all have the tech. to build exactly what we want-but they dont know unless we speak up. Remember ford use to build just about anything type of truck you wanted. 6doors--extended Bronco's base model 6 cyl. 2 wh drive trucks.no power windows etc. tell them what you want-I'm sure that they will try to do what the majority want.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
I'd like to see a 10 year dependability study! Really, who can't make a vehicle fairly dependable for 3 years. Well, besides Landrover and Suzuki!

Also, since these ratings are per brand, it only takes one lemon to sour the the whole bunch. And the more lines of vehicles you produce, the higher the odds that one is gonna suck. Particularly when the manufacturer is try to cover the gamut of price ranges. If Lexus had a econo-box model, odds are the brand wouldn't score so well.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:39 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Fords I've owned:
97 - 7.3 powerstroke - great truck! (still runs to this day)
also had a 97 shortbox step-side F150 another good truck - new bodystlye with the 5.4. Guess I couldn't complain about the fords but it was after that Chevy really started coming out with some decent power train combo's in both gas and diesel compared to their Ford counterparts. I wouldn't have any problem going back to Ford when they get their diesel offering ironed out - they've got a nice truck.

Got the current pickup becasue yes I was leary of the 6.4 being off the 6.oh platform and I wanted a 6 speed auto.

Not sure how a Toyota diesel was trhown in the conversation. Wife has a hybrid Camry though - we really like it. Domestics had nothing that compared.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:43 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fonefiddy
Just look at the Domestics, They offer just about anything a person wants/needs.

I still say their quality/durability are just as good/better than anything the Japanese are selling.

The new Focus, Malibu will stack up against the Corolla/Civic.

As for JD Powers, Do You really think that the Lemmings are going to answer the survey honestly/objectively? They've been brainwashed into thinking one way. They are not going to go against their programing. They'll answer the way that makes Them feel happy/satisfied with their car buying decision. I take JD Powers opinions with as much salt as Consumer Reports.
Take yourself up on that bet and do some comparison shopping. We did - in regards to cars the imports had more standard features/options, better mpg, and usually better warranty.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:05 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Have you driven the focus/corolla malibu/civic back to back? I have to say I like the malibu a lot but the civic feels better. Same with the corolla.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not pretty. Ford posts 8.6billion loss in the second quarter.