1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Which Tuner/Chip for towing with my 97 PSD

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 06:01 AM
DJ7.3PSD
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which Tuner/Chip for towing with my 97 PSD

Ok Guys, I just tripped over this forum doing a search for Tuner info. Needless to say I'm still here an hour 1/2 later ...lol, Kind of addicted already!
Heres the scoop, I just bought my first Diesel 1997 F-350 7.3 psd/auto Crew Cab Dually. It just turned 87k. My buddy has been on me since I pulled it in the driveway to go with a Bully Dog Tuner w/4" stainless exh from the turbo back. Well here's the problem there's SOOO many different opinions out there I'm confusing the Ca-Ca out of myself!!!
Let me tell you what I'm looking for and I would love to hear back from guys (or girls) on what has worked for them.
First off my main concerns are keeping the truck as reliable as possible, I don't want to start breaking stuff. This truck has been and will continue to pull a 37' 12000lb 5th wheel. I'm looking for more low end power and as many MPG's as I can get out of her towing that kind of weight. When she's not towing she will be our primary vehicle as well.
I thought after hearing about the Bully Dog this was my answer.... until I did some searches on the net.... Bully Dog, DP, TW, Edge, SuperTuner etc. etc. ...Geesh!
Again... Reliability and MPG's are the most important to me... I don't have a need to spin my Dual Wheels (Though that would be kinda slick)

Please help me make up my mind.....

Don

Old 07-24-2008, 06:09 AM
Epd444
Elder User
As far as the bullydog, theres alot better out there for our trucks. I'd go with the TW. Most will agree.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:15 AM
DJ7.3PSD
New User
Originally Posted by Epd444
As far as the bullydog, theres alot better out there for our trucks. I'd go with the TW. Most will agree.
That's what I'm hearing.... My buddy has the 06 350 and he loves it but it's a different truck/drive train too!

Don

Old 07-24-2008, 06:48 AM
whh
New User
I just recently switched to wild man chip. Man what difference you will love it. I mainly use my truck pulling a horse trailer mostly mountain driving and it is like driving a different truck.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:50 AM
DJ7.3PSD
New User
whh what settings did you have programed? Does the TW chip also change the shift pattern as well?

DJ

Old 07-24-2008, 08:58 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TW is my vote as well. It did wonders to my truck. Completely new vehicle. I tow a 36' 5th wheel camper. It is around 14,000 lbs. TW will do you just fine. IMO by far the best. Call him up and chat with him if you need more info from him. I hear he is busy these days but he is full of good info.

WELCOME to FTE beware of PMS.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:28 AM
whh
New User
DJ7.3PSD I have stock ,economy, daily, tow, and extreme, high idle. It does change the shift points in my opinion for the better. Call Tony and talk to him before you order. That is what I did and I have no complaints. The other good thing about his chips is he will do a reburn for free. Say if there is something you think isn't just as you like or you add more up grades to your truck. You will like the added power and get better fuel milage. Check when you talk to him because stock setting should be no charge. When you order on the web do not put it down as one of your setting but he will program it in. Not that you will ever use it but it is kinda nice to run in stock for a little bit so you see what a dog the truck was before.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:53 AM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
ya, tony or DP seem to be the consensus. bully dog is overpriced and not effective when compared to these two.
make sure you have gauges if you're towing that much!

Old 07-24-2008, 12:49 PM
DJ7.3PSD
New User
What do you suggest for gauges besides factory?

DJ

Old 07-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I suggest Hewittindustriesinc.com They are cheaper than most others and are awesome quality. No fancy bells and whistles like neon blue LED lights or anything like that but for a good quality gauge at a reasonable price that is where I went. You will have to call them and ask for Bruce Dankmeyer.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:55 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
As for what to get, Exhaust gas temperature (EGT's) is important so you dont melt/stress your pistons/turbo. Boost helps you know your turbo is working ok, as well as keeps track of how well your modifications help. Transmission temperature (especially when towing) lets you know if you are damaging your tranny or not.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:01 PM
DJ7.3PSD
New User
Thanks Guys, I really appreciate the feed back! are the EGT & Tanny temp Gauges hard to do my self....? I'm pretty good with tinkering

DJ

Old 07-24-2008, 11:41 PM
ron86toy
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DJ7.3PSD
Thanks Guys, I really appreciate the feed back! are the EGT & Tanny temp Gauges hard to do my self....? I'm pretty good with tinkering

DJ
All of them are easy...just did them myself....hardest part IMO was running everything through the firewall(I guess I just hate laying under a dash).Drill and tap is the only other part that you will run into.But then probably the absolute hardest part is where to put them(get a triple pillar pod and be done with it).

Another vote for TW chip...running one myself

Old 07-25-2008, 02:44 AM
DJ7.3PSD
New User
Where does the tranny temp gauge connect to... or do they have you install a seperate sending unit? Now that I'm thinking about how do they read the EGT? Anyone run a TW without the exhaust mod?
DJ

Old 07-25-2008, 08:57 AM
ron86toy
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DJ7.3PSD
Where does the tranny temp gauge connect to... or do they have you install a seperate sending unit? Now that I'm thinking about how do they read the EGT? Anyone run a TW without the exhaust mod?
DJ
The tranny temp sender replaces a plug just above the pan on drivers side....somebody on here has a pic....I will try and find it for you....if not I can grab the camera....the EGT you will have to drill/tap your drivers side manifold for the probe(it is not as hard as you first think).Your boost gauge has a couple options....drill/tap intake Y......or a simple T in the MAP sensor line.

I ran my chip for a bit with the stock downpipe......never went to higher tune than my 40tow........you will not get anything out of your chip untill you get an exhaust......find them on ebay in the 3-400 dollar range for a complete exhaust.

you can use the search feature on the top of the page(search this forum)....just put in a couple words(EGT gauge).....and you will get a bunch of ideas

couple good reads to look up is 6637 and 10k