Going B-20(all they have here, would go higher)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 06:14 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Going B-20(all they have here, would go higher)

Due to the fact that my truck is starting to idle rougher since all the stations around here have now got ULSD, I've decided to go with B20 to help do away with the rough shaking idle(bad thing is it's at the already expensive stations so even though B20 is cheaper compared to their no. 2 diesel, it's about the same as the other stations that are cheaper). Now here comes the question, I know about every 2 to 3 fillups, I should change the fuel filter, however, one of my 2 fuel filters is a FASS filter, so how often should that one be changed out? Should I maintain the double life span of it's changes so after every 4-6 fill ups swap out the FASS fuel filter or should I still do the 2-3 fillup scenerio?

Old 07-24-2008, 06:39 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's only the first several tanks that you have to watch the filters carefully. After that, your filter changes should go back to the normal maintenance schedule.

However, ULSD doesn't leave as many deposits behind as LSD did. Plus your truck is still fairly new, so you probably have very few deposits in the fuel system, if any. Probably not going to be much for bio to clean out.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:59 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish I could readily get B20. The best I can do is B5 at the local Safeway. They started out selling B20, but due to all the warranty issues for the newer rigs (anything over B5 can void some or all of their fuel injection system warranties) they dialed it back to B5....

BTW, back when I could get B20 I burned it in both my trucks (both 86 models) - one of them for close to a year - and never had to do a single extra filter change....

Old 07-26-2008, 12:16 AM
adambomb
Posting Guru
TEX-
the reason the fuel filters plug after using biodiesel is because it acts as a cleaning agent and will fully clean your tank and fuel system. how many miles are on your truck? if you have low miles and have used additives and good clean diesel i don't think there will be much stuff for the biodiesel to clean out. also you are only using b20 so it will not clean as much and as fast as b100. keep an eye on fuel pressure gauge and that should give you a insite on if your filters are clogging.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:30 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know the reasoning behind the fuel changes and that they are in the initial usage of biodiesel. I was concerned with how the FASS fuel filters handle it versus the stock filture. On regular diesel, FASS filters will last about twice the time that stock ones will, so I was wondering if that would carry over to biodiesel or not for the initial usage.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:54 AM
adambomb
Posting Guru
i talked to FASS when i first got my fuel system and they said that their set up was 100% biodiesel compatible. i forgot to ask about the filters though...