6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

recall 08T01 - all 2008 ford diesels

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 07:55 AM
Bowstring
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if a person can purchase a venturi kit from Ford and install it yourself,It sounds like some Ford service places don't even know about it yet.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:32 AM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bowstring
Does anyone know if a person can purchase a venturi kit from Ford and install it yourself,It sounds like some Ford service places don't even know about it yet.
Im not sure if the venturi kit is available for purchase from Ford, but here is the part number for those who are interested in checking into it...

Venturi Tee Kit: 8C3Z-8B379-B

Old 07-25-2008, 10:00 AM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't agree 100% with you Sanddemon or Vloney. I had a radiator crack due to this more than likely and now they have changed the radiator but not the t. Why wouldn't Ford want to fix a known issue? They want to wait until the customer has to pay for a new radiator when it is out of warranty?

Old 07-25-2008, 01:08 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Maybe the real fix for the issue is the new radiator and the venturi kit is just a crutch and its only a viable modification for a zero mile unit thats still at Fords final "point of assembly" (ie. dealership).
Perhaps Ford is really doing you a favor by not installing this modification on your truck.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Bowstring
Senior User
I see some say they have had there radiator changed because of leaking, but the venturi kit wasn't installed with the new radiator, so is the problem the radiators in the job 1 weren't crimped right or is the venturi kit the real fix?

Old 07-25-2008, 01:25 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
I have to believe the radiator is the fix and the venturi is a patch. The dealer showed me the new radiator and it was completely different than the old one. I think it was $700 and took quite a while to replace.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:41 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Just using my truck as an example.....my truck is only 45 days old, job #3 built in May. There are 10 trucks (estimate) on the dealer lot that were built before my truck and there are 10 trucks on the lot built after my truck. All 20 of those trucks will get the fix but mine wont (at least as far as we know, and I am just using this as an example). My truck has the same radiator as those 20 trucks. Right? So what is the difference that qualifies those trucks and not mine (yes I looked, mine is not listed)? The ONLY difference is that Ford already has my money.

Upgrades are part of the system. I dont expect Ford to recall all Job #1 trucks to install the new air dam but thats because the air dam isnt going to leave you stranded or possibly do other damage to the truck. On the flip side, when Ford found out that some vehicles could be prone to cruise control fires they recalled them all to fix them. When Ford found out the 3.8 had bad heads they didnt do a recall but they offered to install the new heads for any customer that had a concern. Maybe Ford doesnt see this as a safety issue and thats why they arent taking it to the next level?

My blood runs blue but it should be a real eye opener when Ford wont install these "T's" on customer trucks, meanwhile Toyota is buying back 5 year old trucks at 150% of their value in the name of customer service. Please dont change the thread, you wont catch me dead in a Toyota, Im just making a point why the average consumer feels more confident about one company backing their product better than another.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:56 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
This is a Job #1 problem only and only if it was built in the Kentucky or Cuautitlan plants. I scanned the document but it is too big for FTE

Old 07-25-2008, 09:42 PM
skl
Mountain Pass
I have a very early Job 1 truck I bought in March '07 and have had no radiators issues that I know of- hope I didn't kinx myself just now... wonder if I should have the dealer look it over- I have received no word on this service- just the seat frame deal a couple months ago.
My truck has been very reliable so far, especially for an early example of the new model, just wish the mileage was better...at least my 52 gallon fuel tank helps with the range.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:45 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by jasfaa
Well, typical Ford crap. Took the truck into the dealer at their request last week. They looked up the TSB and my truck is not eligible. They did some digging and realized my truck was within the time frame stated in the TSB, was built in the Kentucky plant where the issue was discovered but was not eligible because it is no longer on the dealer lot. This TSB is only for vehicles that are still on the lot. I have a copy of it and will scan it in here if anyone wants it. I called customer service which was a waste of 15 minutes of my life. I already had the radiator replaced because it cracked due to this and the new radiator was nothing like the old one. I have a feeling this is a cheaper fix for ford than replacing radiators that were defective.
Why is this "typical" FORD crap?

I am not sure why you are so insistent that they perform this TSB on your 6.4L PSD...when you already have the "NEW" improved radiator.

Just seems to me...that you are pissing into the wind here.

OBTW: I think it is a GOOD idea to apply the TSB to the trucks on the lot before they are sold...and blow there radiator. The TSB is less cost...than a warranty repair for a NEW radiator. Finally...seems that someone at FORD is thinking ahead...and not waiting in a re-active manner.

biz

Old 07-28-2008, 09:00 AM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by biz4two
Why is this "typical" FORD crap?

I am not sure why you are so insistent that they perform this TSB on your 6.4L PSD...when you already have the "NEW" improved radiator.

Just seems to me...that you are pissing into the wind here.

OBTW: I think it is a GOOD idea to apply the TSB to the trucks on the lot before they are sold...and blow there radiator. The TSB is less cost...than a warranty repair for a NEW radiator. Finally...seems that someone at FORD is thinking ahead...and not waiting in a re-active manner.

biz
Biz4two, I am not going to get into a pissing match with you and as I said, the radiator I think is the real fix and not the T. The typical ford crap comment is fixing the ones on the lot only and not the ones out there that you or other people are driving on the road and not had issues.........yet As you said above, this TSB will cost less than a warranty repair. This reminds me of the headgasket issues on the 6.0 liter. Multiple redesigns on the headgasket and bolts but there isn't an issue. BS....

Old 07-28-2008, 09:18 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

I don't agree 100% with you Sanddemon or Vloney. I had a radiator crack due to this more than likely and now they have changed the radiator but not the t. Why wouldn't Ford want to fix a known issue? They want to wait until the customer has to pay for a new radiator when it is out of warranty?
The problem here is that you dont even know y the radiators were replaced in the first place. The radiators out of the kentucky that were affected were due to the tanks not being crimped to the proper spec resulting in a leak between the tank and the core. Alot of the repeated faluirs were due to the dealers not checking thier radiators in stock for the affected parts numbers as ford directed them and putting a bad radiator on to replace the failed radiator.

This new TSB your talking about is an issues by itself which can lead to a radiator or cooling system faluire but has nothing to due with the previous TSB and only affects certian production runs.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:46 AM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
I have the TSB in front of me. it states that "the radiator may develop cracks from a reverse flow of cool air/coolant from the degas bottle to the radiator, possibly leading to a coolant leak. If ignored the leak may progress and reduce the effectiveness of the cooling system, which may lead to engine overheating and potential damage."

My interpretation of that is the two are related. I had a new radiator put in close to when Job 2 came out and it was a different design. Who knows, I don't work for Ford, I just know they are a pain to deal with in this economy crunch both for us and the service departments. My service department had a letter stating they had to get approval for everything now including parts that should be no brainers. The only thing I know is that I hope the new radiator is the fix since my truck, if sitting on the lot, would be included in this TSB.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:00 AM
caprang
Posting Guru
There is a good chance many of us will never have any issues (knock on wood). Im not sure what the real fix is but the SSI is for trucks all the way up to 5/2008 so those would have the new radiator already, which makes me think that this T is a good idea regardless of which radiator you have now.

I also agree that unsold trucks should have this done prior to being sold. Making a customer return later is poor customer service plus it affects the JD power rankings for warranty claims and quality rankings.

My only hope is that in the near future Ford decides to include all trucks. This is an improvement that should eliminate/reduce future repairs on radiators. If enough people suffer radiator failures it will turn in to an investigation and eventually a recall. Just what Ford needs is the media spouting off about another recall.

This may turn in to a voluntary recall, TSB, etc. We dont know that yet. I wonder if my truck does have a radiator failure, but is not on the list, will they install this T when they replace the radiator to prevent a 2nd occurence? We dont have the answers yet so there is no use getting upset about assumptions.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:26 PM
yukondiesel
Senior User
This is a Job #1 problem only and only if it was built in the Kentucky or Cuautitlan plants. I scanned the document but it is too big for FTE
??? ??? ??? ??? (I needed 10 characters).

I heard its ALL. Techs have been on the llots fixing ALL the unsold vehilces?

Quick Reply: recall 08T01 - all 2008 ford diesels