6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

recall 08T01 - all 2008 ford diesels

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 08:09 AM
goneon66
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
recall 08T01 - all 2008 ford diesels

just heard in another forum that there is a re-call on all 2008 ford psd's. all radiators need to be replaced so they don't explode............???

Old 07-22-2008, 08:37 AM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08T01 is a SSI (Special Service Instruction) not a recall and it only applies to certain vehicles built from Job 1 thru 05/15/08.

The SSI covers the installation of a venturi tee in the coolant system to prevent reverse flow of cool air/coolant from the degas bottle to the radiator. This cool air/coolant is what is supposed to be causing radiators to crack and start leaking, not explode...

Old 07-22-2008, 08:57 AM
goneon66
Junior User
thanks for the clarification powerstroke. i'm on the way to the dealership now to get the sooty pipes/dpf checked. i have a job-3 so i'll see if i need to get the radiator repaired..........

Old 07-22-2008, 09:32 AM
tgene
Junior User
Originally Posted by goneon66
thanks for the clarification powerstroke. i'm on the way to the dealership now to get the sooty pipes/dpf checked. i have a job-3 so i'll see if i need to get the radiator repaired..........

Please let us know what the dealership has to say about the sooty pipes/dpf. There are others here on FTE that also have the sooty tail pipe. Thanks.... gene

Old 07-22-2008, 10:15 AM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will customers be notified of the SSI or is it only if a customer goes to the dealer with a complaint/leak?

Old 07-22-2008, 10:54 AM
scsmith42
Senior User
This SSI does not apply to all vehicles (at least at present...). I've got an early Job 1 F450 (4/07 DOM), and per my service manager my truck is not included on the SSI's range of VIN's.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:37 AM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The current focus of the SSI appears to be those vehicles that are still in dealer stock. There is also no mention of customer notification at this time...

Old 07-22-2008, 01:53 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Why would they only fix trucks on the dealer lot? Maybe I am off base here but this sounds like "we found a problem, fix all trucks that havent been sold, we will take our chances with the ones that were already sold". Is that because they are hoping they will last long enough to get out of warranty and the expense will be on the consumer? Or is it because the easiest ones to fix are the ones just sitting there and they plan to get to the rest later?

I realize no one really knows that answer so I am just talking out loud. I would much rather schedule this to be done on a day I can live without the truck opposed to taking my chances of being stuck roadside waiting on a tow, then possibly waiting on the dealer to order parts, etc. all while I am in need of the truck.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:06 PM
goneon66
Junior User
CAPRANG asks a great question. why fix trucks that haven't even been sold yet???

a ford diesel master, who is an administrator on another turbo diesel forum, posted that he was going to install radiator kits on 20+ new trucks that were in stock at his dealership.

the service advisor at my dealership looked up recall 08T01 and said there was "NEW" information on it but it did not affect my truck (job-3 , built 4-10-08) yet......

Old 07-22-2008, 07:42 PM
havasulew
Junior User
Santa Margarita Ford, Ca. Just happened to call me this afternoon doing a follow-up on 25000 mile service. I inquired about this SSI. They didn't know anything about it. My truck is a Job 1, built 4/7/07. They ran an Oasis while I was on the phone. Nothing showed on the report. May not have shown up because my truck is not on the lot. haha

Old 07-22-2008, 08:56 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by goneon66
CAPRANG asks a great question. why fix trucks that haven't even been sold yet???

a ford diesel master, who is an administrator on another turbo diesel forum, posted that he was going to install radiator kits on 20+ new trucks that were in stock at his dealership.

the service advisor at my dealership looked up recall 08T01 and said there was "NEW" information on it but it did not affect my truck (job-3 , built 4-10-08) yet......

I love it! Wait long enough, and someone will have a "conspiracy theory". Why fix trucks that haven't been sold yet..........BECAUSE FORD WONT LET US SELL THEM UNTIL THEY'RE FIXED!

Old 07-22-2008, 09:08 PM
kawtiper
Senior User
I doubt you are going to sell many of them anyway. How about you fix the ones that already paid you ( not you personally) the money for a truck that has a problem. Guess that is the different view from an employee and customer. We as a customer expect to be taken care of after the sale has been made. We could care less about weather or not you can sell a truck for the next week or so. Customer service I believe is what that is called. May be it is just me that feels that way.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:23 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by vloney
I love it! Wait long enough, and someone will have a "conspiracy theory". Why fix trucks that haven't been sold yet..........BECAUSE FORD WONT LET US SELL THEM UNTIL THEY'RE FIXED!
Im not suggesting its a "conspiracy" on Fords part, rather a matter of customer service or possible lack there of. Ford obviously deems this a very serious issue if they are refusing the sale of any trucks without the repairs being made first. Serious enough that they want to ensure satisfaction from FUTURE customers.
My question is if Ford takes that same seriousness regarding PAST customers that already shelled out the cash for their trucks. If the answer is yes then we should all be receiving notices in the near future for our trucks to receive the same repair. If the answer is no then Ford is going to take their chances that customers wont return with leaking radiators inside the 3/36.
My local dealer had 20 trucks on the lot when I special ordered mine. Some of those 20 trucks are still sitting there and will be fixed before being sold. Some of the trucks on their lot now came in after mine was built and those trucks will also be fixed before being sold. Unless I am understanding this wrong, the repair (at least at this point) has nothing to do with the build date, but whether or not the truck has been sold yet.
So back to my original point - if Ford is simply fixing the unsold trucks first because they are sitting there, better to fix now rather than having a customer bring the truck back later, and they are doing it in steps like this because the supply of parts can only come so fast. Thats fine. At some point my truck will be fixed too. I will applaud Ford for that.
However, if Ford intends to overlook those of us that already spent our cash in hopes that we dont return for warranty work, then I feel that is poor customer service on Fords part.
Again, this is based on what I know about this, at this point and time. My question revolves around customer service, not conspiracies.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:36 AM
serviceguy
Junior User
Do you realize that Ford and all car manufactures pay engineering firms to do studies when they find problems to see if the law suits are cheaper than retooling a plant to change the part? I would not be the least bit surprised if they did decide to take there chances. Will we ever know? No call it what you will but this is what happens at any corporation every day.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:43 AM
kawtiper
Senior User
Originally Posted by serviceguy
Do you realize that Ford and all car manufactures pay engineering firms to do studies when they find problems to see if the law suits are cheaper than retooling a plant to change the part? I would not be the least bit surprised if they did decide to take there chances. Will we ever know? No call it what you will but this is what happens at any corporation every day.
I think we all realize that they do this. Boeing ( airplanes) do the same thing. Does that make it right for the families of the 200 people that die in a crash because they ( boeing) did not retool ??? I think not !

Quick Reply: recall 08T01 - all 2008 ford diesels