1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

If you had it to do over (What would you do?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 01:13 PM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're ALL right! A lot of great points have been made. It all depends on what you want your truck for, and I think that's the key - the one recurring point has been, decide WHAT you want to do, before you ever begin. If you have a running truck, drive it a while, it will tell you what path it wants to follow. If it's NOT running, and in various degrees of disassembly, try to come up with a plan, before you begin.

In my case, it's not to be a daily driver, just trips to rally's, car shows, work once in a while, etc. And I have more time than money, but money's not as tight, as when I was younger. I'm in no hurry to drive it, even though it would be nice, but I'm one of those that likes the first trip out of the shop, to be practically done, if NOT done. I know there will be things come up, but I want it "finished" when it pulls out. For some, it's driving the whole time they are working on it. That's good too, and I did that with my British sports cars - they were FUN, period! And I drove them, 100% of the time. So I've seen both sides of the rainbow...

Dark or original? No argument - whatever does it for you. But, be prepared for some good-natured ribbing, regardless of what you do. It's part of the game. I enjoy VERY MUCH looking at nice darksiders - but it's not for me, at least with this truck. However, I have had some hellacious darksiders in my lifetime - 1970 Datsun pickup with a 289 Hi-Po?? 6" lift, and big knobbies?? Now, THAT'S dark!

The key is to enjoy, and make sure that you do it in such a way, that the project gets done! It's not how FAST you get it done, just that you DO get it done. Some wonder how I can keep plodding away on something, knowing it will be a year or more before I get it on the road, having never driven it, but it was my plan, and I'm happy with the progress, and the quality of the progress. But, a lot of people don't have that patience, and if they had to do what I'm doing, they'd have given up a long time ago, and the truck would be for sale, or scrapped. Do what you can, how you want, and be happy!

The only place I draw the line is between the ugly striped '49/50 and the beautiful '51/52. No compromise there...

R

Old 07-24-2008, 01:38 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Roger,

I wish the link to your truck pics was working.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:18 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Originally Posted by rcav8or
The only place I draw the line is between the ugly striped '49/50 and the beautiful '51/52. No compromise there...

R
Uh oh, here we go again....LOL
The one thing I wouldn't ever change on my truck is the gorgeous 48-50 grille. I just thank my lucky stars each and every day that I wasn't unfortunate enough to have been stuck with a morphodite of a grill like on the 51/52 trucks..............LOL

The biggest thing I would have done differently is to have labeled and tagged things better as I took them apart. I did take lots of pictures but I wasn't very good about bagging and tagging parts. Now I have things scattered all over the garage and in 2 sheds and a sketchy memory of having put "those" pieces somewhere so I wouldn't lose them.

This is a great hobby and Roger is right, be ready for some good natured ribbing no matter what you do with your truck. We all like to razz each other and (at least around this site) its not intended to be mean and hurtful (although sometimes with the written word it can be hard to tell)

Enjoy the ride
Bobby

Old 07-24-2008, 04:19 PM
gdgerland
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmmmmm, didn;t know Ford made pickups in 51 and 52. I thought C---y made those.

Gil

Old 07-24-2008, 05:03 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry Roger. It works on my home machine but not my work machine. Weird.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:58 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Like AX said, I would have built the garage first, equipped it with all the tools second, and then concentrate on finding a worthy project third.

I've come to realize "free" isn't all that free.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:23 PM
grumpy46
Elder User
the only thing i would do different is not buy parts to far in advance unless its staying stock. everything i do changes something else later. thanks to the ladies at mid fifty i got to return a bunch of stuff. of coarse by the time i left i spent twice as much as i returned. when doing a frame off do something every day if only looking at it. to many people get board if no progress is noticed. it may be a fast food world, but not when it comes to building a truck or hot rod.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:26 PM
edsf100
Posting Guru
I would have NEVER traded my 54 in 74 for a Chevy.. Got a 56 now. but there is something about the slant cab..

Old 07-25-2008, 10:10 AM
snipa
Senior User
I bought my 53 17 years ago back when I was in college. I had it painted real nice with some rewelding and repair work, but I could not afford to pay for a frame-off restoration at the time.
The paint job had held up really nice over the years, But I wish I did the frame off restoration. It still has the original engine, and I am glad I kept the flattie.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:54 PM
rcav8or
Originally Posted by BACAGrizz
Roger,

I wish the link to your truck pics was working.
BACA - what links aren't working? They are all working, as far as I can tell...

R

Old 07-25-2008, 12:57 PM
rcav8or
Originally Posted by BACAGrizz
Sorry Roger. It works on my home machine but not my work machine. Weird.
BACA - should have read all the posts! If you are talking about the flash, a lot of IT guys at work places don't allow flash. That's one possibility. Or, your work computer doesn't have the flash plug-in, that's the other possibility.

Did you check out the bodywork link? Here it is (beware, 6 pages of pictures!)

Roger's Bodywork

Oh yeah, I see you are in Moore - I go out there to Norman to the Postal Service school, every once in a while. I was there both the week before, and the week after the tornado - man, what devastation! Hopefully, next time I get out there, we can meet up!

R

Old 07-25-2008, 03:04 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Marry into money...

Old 07-25-2008, 03:17 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by havi
Like AX said, I would have built the garage first, equipped it with all the tools second, and then concentrate on finding a worthy project third.

I've come to realize "free" isn't all that free.
I've been on that route for years and the truck never gets started because there is always something else the shop needs.

Speaking of FREE... The most expensive thing in the world is a lady who say's she is free for the evening. Like daddy said, if i'ts got tires or ta-tas, you got trouble. I still haven't learned my lesson. Too many vehicles over the years and the same old wife.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:22 AM
53pickemuptruck
Senior User
I would buy one already done,it would have probaly been cheaper and faster.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:45 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 53pickemuptruck
I would buy one already done,it would have probaly been cheaper and faster.
Yeah but what fun would that be? In that case you might as well go out and buy a new car. That way the fun only last until the check clears or you get that payment book.

How could anything be more fun than 5 years of a whining wife, countless banged up knuckles, ruined clothes and a full garage while your good vehicle sits outside exposed to the elements?

Quick Reply: If you had it to do over (What would you do?)