1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

If you had it to do over (What would you do?)

Old 07-23-2008, 01:41 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My truck is one of many vehicles I've built from ground up, including Streetrods and streetbikes (Harley's). I guess as you go along with each project, you learn from the previous build and the mistakes you made. You also develop a taste and like for the type of vehicle that suits your needs and appearance. It also depends how much you want to invest and how custom or show quality you want the truck to be, which needs to be a priority before starting the build. I did exactly what I set out to do. Keep it simple, stay with the stock theme, drop it/ suspension work, modify the drivetrain and exhaust system for better performance and have a cool streetrod truck (I guess they classify that as a restorod?) that is worthy of taking to car events and cruises. My initial intent was to have an investment of less than $15K invested including the cost of the truck. Since I did the majority of work myself (bodywork/paint aren't my strong points), those numbers were obtainable. Unfortunately, I'm $2K over my projected cost which is easy to do because there are so many cool things and parts you just have to purchase!. Plan out your project and focus on one section at a time, ex- engine, suspension, brakes, interior, bed, etc.- It's fairly normal to always go back and change something you don't like, change the small stuff, not the big stuff, which means you need to stick to the plan you want for your truck project, it'll be cheaper in the long run and your project will on the road quicker. My biggest mistakes were buying items for the project because they were cheaper and I tried to save money. Always ended up costing more in the long run.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:50 AM
Fomoko1
Received 1,344 Likes on 1,104 Posts
First I`d drive the wheels off my 56 THEN tear it all apart instead of jumping right into a frame off.............I miss it, maybe next summer ( once again I`m saying that) it`ll be back on the road!
Of course buying every 53-6 I could find in decent shape for under $1,000 sounds great too!

Old 07-23-2008, 04:35 AM
Aussie 53
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well if I had my time again I would have bought the 56 instead of the 53 that was being sold at the time. The 53 was cheaper so hence why I have a 53. Though now I am having a ball with the progress of the 53 and can't wait for the day when I drive it down the street and watch peoples heads turn when they see it. There's not many old Ford trucks in Oz. Cheers (Paul)

Old 07-23-2008, 07:30 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Vern,

Just think of the money you would have saved if you would have just had a few mousetraps around.......lol

(inside joke refering to Vern's need for the rebuild)

Bobby
Bobby, ...and all those clowns out of work!

Old 07-23-2008, 07:46 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Several here have said they wish they had bought a truck in better shape to start with. I find the opposite is true for me. I was looking for a better truck too but all I could find was a $500 basket case. The price for a near finished or running truck was more than I could afford and there seemed to be nothing available between a basket case and a running truck. However, I am happy that I bought the basket case truck because it has given me a great sense of satisfaction knowing that I am driving a truck that likely would have gone to the crusher otherwise. Yes, it was a lot more work than I bargained for but I got a chance to do some things I've never done before and proved to myself that I can do those things.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:46 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,781 Likes on 1,822 Posts
Vern,

I couldn't resist...LOL

When I started in on my truck I didn't have a clearly defined plan or budget. The truck was really rough so I knew a restoration was out of the question, thats why I decided to modify things. I did know I wanted a big engine and that it wasn't going to be a daily driver but more of a "drive it several times a month and have a boat load of fun" type truck. Since my budget was non-existent and my free money wasn't I tackled one thing at a time and often had to make concessions later on due to previous mods.
I've played with cars my whole life, usually swapping in more engine than was necessary. This truck is the first time I did anything so involved. I figured it would be (and it has been) a great learning curve. My skill level has really improved along with my confidence level (largely in part to this site). Sure, I could go back and redo things or dream about doing them differently but overall, I'm pretty happy with where the truck is right now and how far I've come to get it there.

There's still along way to go
Bobby

Old 07-23-2008, 09:24 AM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Originally Posted by 56efffie
I have many times got discouraged with just trying to get it dependable and on the road. I like really like the full build frame off thing but didn't want to get in over my head.
I'm with you there - I ended up doing the frame off build, only because I kept finding deeper and deeper problems, as I went - mine came to me LOOKING good, but the PO had disassembled the motor, and front clip, and had left the motor apart, and the clip was put together with 3" carriage bolts. At first I was looking for a donor with a 302/351 and tranny. I had the tranny and motor out, found a rebuilt flattie so rebuilt the original tranny. Found serious rust in the cab corners (hidden by pounds of bondo), so decided to strip the cab. Got to the point, all that was left on the frame and suspension, was a stripped cab. Six bolts, and suddenly I was doing a frame-off. I had checked for front-end play numerous times, didn't see any play, but with the cab off, found the kingpins were shot. So the front end got disassembled. The only thing left together at this time is the rear end and suspension, and it's coming apart, after I get the front back together. Yes, it's a daunting experience! But, knowing myself, if I had gotten it running, "on the cheap", I probably never would have done a frame-off. I would have driven it, keeping it up, until something major went, then I would have sold it. So, I'm miles ahead doing what I'm doing. I may NEVER get to drive it, but it only gets better and better, and if I die before I finish it, whoever gets it, will have a great start on a nice truck!

R

Old 07-23-2008, 09:31 AM
joedellcarter
Senior User
I was lucky with mine. Rusty? Heck ya, but it was a pretty original piece, but I overestimated what I needed though and bought a bunch of sheet metal I didn't end up needing. I've gotten a little bit better and continually walk around my truck writing down what I need, what I want and what it costs, etc. I now have a pretty good idea what it's going to take to get it done. I wish i did that sooner.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:19 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always have a notebook handy for all my effie needs and contacts and prices and phone numbers. I continually write what I need in this notebook.
I have a whole slew of trucks to work on--and use this to keep things organized.
I definately want to stress to any newbies to car/truck restoration ---and that is to buy as nice of a vehicle as you can afford first!!
I have just bought 3 projects -people thought they could finish---and didn't!!
I HOPE I CAN!!!! LOL..........Bill

Old 07-24-2008, 10:45 AM
55effie
Freshman User
As a rookie to this game, this thread really helped me gain perspective on where i want my truck to be.....not a daily driver but something reliable to take to cruise nights or local shows...drive around town just enjoying the truck...frame off was my original intention but the more i think about it i don't want that much down time away from driving my truck....

Thanks for helping a rookie

Old 07-24-2008, 11:05 AM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
If only...

Looking back I would have probably kept the first 56 I ever owned. It was pretty much stock with a 292 y-block in it. The only changes the PO had made on that one were a 2 speed automatic and a highly geared Pontiac rear end that was a little slow off the line but gave it excellent highway mileage.

When my daughter (now 31 and expecting) was born the only way we could get her to go to sleep was load her up in the truck and drive a few miles. Something about that old truck used to put her out like a light.

Ahh, nostalgia is a wonderful thing, eh?

The thing to remember is that we have them now and need to make the best of what we have. Not regret the past decisions.

Go forth from here and build!!!

Old 07-24-2008, 11:40 AM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Originally Posted by BACAGrizz
When my daughter (now 31 and expecting) was born the only way we could get her to go to sleep was load her up in the truck and drive a few miles. Something about that old truck used to put her out like a light.
Maybe it was the carbon monoxide???

Just kidding, of course! But, you have to admit, the fuels and cars "smell" different than when we were a lot younger (those of us over 50).

R

Old 07-24-2008, 11:48 AM
OldgreenF1
Elder User
I would have painted the insid eof my cab and patche dthe fenders and rolle din primer for a while getting all the bugs out. Now Im doing some work twice trying to fix quirks that werent right when it was running 30 years ago but now IM fining them after its going together.
The truck was wrecked twice that I know of and even with pre-assembly things still get over looked.
I also would have kept it a 2 barrel setup.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:19 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rcav8or
Maybe it was the carbon monoxide???

Just kidding, of course! But, you have to admit, the fuels and cars "smell" different than when we were a lot younger (those of us over 50).

R
No offense taken. I am sure the exhaust system was tight. I think it was the rattling and shaking more than anything else, lol.

Yeah, stuff used to smell a lot different and things were much bigger then than they are now.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by 55effie
As a rookie to this game, this thread really helped me gain perspective on where i want my truck to be.....not a daily driver but something reliable to take to cruise nights or local shows...drive around town just enjoying the truck...frame off was my original intention but the more i think about it i don't want that much down time away from driving my truck....

Thanks for helping a rookie

You are MOST welcome!!! That's kind of what I had in mind when I started this thread, was to help some of the new guys to not make some of the mistakes I made and wished I hadn't. Keep posting guys, I think this is a good topic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If you had it to do over (What would you do?)