Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2008, 09:36 PM
New User

erictanya is starting off with a positive reputation.
08 super duty won't start

has 6.4 in it. started truck went into regen. started driving dash said stop quikley then truck shut off and will not crank.any body else have this problem
Old 07-20-2008, 03:40 AM
Former ******

Power_Hungry is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bill Cohron
Is there anything modified on the truck? Like, umm... maybe the removal of an exhaust obstruction??

My guess is that since you had the Regen and then the Stop Immediately right before this happened, it will most certainly have something to do with the DPF system.

One thing to look out for is a failed/disconnected EGT thermocouple in the exhaust. If ANY of the 3 in the system have failed, the truck won't start and in some cases it won't even crank over. Also check the pressure sensor located on the top of the exhaust pipe between the NOX and DPF. I've seen a couple instances where the hose disintegrated.

If everything looks mechanically sound, try this...

Disconnect all 3 thermocouples.
Turn the key on for 30 seconds.
Turn the key off for 30 seconds.
Reconnect all 3 thermocouples.
Try to start the vehicle.

It sounds dumb, but it has worked for me the 1 or 2 times I didn't reconnect the probes and subsequently "disabled" a truck. The odd thing is that the truck will start and run the first time you crank it, and then the next time it won't. It's weird.

Good luck.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:22 AM
Postmaster

rocdril has a great reputation on FTE.rocdril has a great reputation on FTE.rocdril has a great reputation on FTE.rocdril has a great reputation on FTE.
This isnt going to be the most technical answer, but i was told to try this on one of my older trucks once. Disconnect both batteries for awhile ,then reconnect and try it.(I have no idea if this will work or has any validity)

RAY
Old 07-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Former ******

Bill Cohron
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocdril View Post
This isnt going to be the most technical answer, but i was told to try this on one of my older trucks once. Disconnect both batteries for awhile ,then reconnect and try it.(I have no idea if this will work or has any validity)
It can and does help in certain situations. Depending on the situation, resetting the PCM and/or other electronics modules can sometimes clear up strange issues, although it probably won't do much to in regards to the underlying problem.

Excursions used to have a problem sometimes with not starting after programming. Yanking the battery cable for a bit would usually reset the PATS system and let the vehicle start.

Sigh... Sometimes I wish for the days of carburettors ad P-pumps. Life was simpler then.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Freshman User

Justastrokin'08 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i had the same problem one time, and actuallly it was a fuse.replaced it cranked right up
Old 07-20-2008, 01:32 PM
New User

erictanya is starting off with a positive reputation.
have intake,exaust,programmer with 23,000 miles and no problems
Old 07-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Former ******

Bill Cohron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justastrokin'08 View Post
i had the same problem one time, and actuallly it was a fuse.replaced it cranked right up
Did you have the same symptoms? The regen and stop warning? Also, do you remember which fuse it was? Like to keep that stuff in my little black book!
Old 07-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Senior User

boulderbronco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictanya View Post
have intake,exaust,programmer with 23,000 miles and no problems
No problems? Umm. I think you have a problem right? This is exactly why I am not getting a programmer any time soon. Good luck dealing with the dealer with the mods. I would be interested to see how it goes. Good luck.
08 F350 6.4L reg. cab bone stock
Old 07-20-2008, 09:23 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2008, 64, afterprogramming, crank, diesel, duty, exhaust, ford, powerstroke, sensor, start, starting, super, superduty, wont