Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Elder User

flcracker9 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Loud Noise @ Idle, Sounds Like Injectors?

Just this afternoon, my 7.3 (2003, 125k miles) started making a horrible noise when there is no load on the engine. I first noticed it when I let off the pedal to stop at a light. It gets better once the engine catches up at a full stop in gear. I put it in neutral and it sounded horrible again. The noise goes away when I accelerate, and I can't really hear while crusing, but as soon as I let off the pedal, it starts again. I got home and opened the hood at idle, and it almost sounds like the injectors?. If I give it throttle, it goes away, and comes back at idle. I do have an oil leak where the hpop bolts to the block, it's been leaking for 3 months. Could it be the hpop?. Any suggestions?

86 F150 4X4, 351, GT40P Heads, 274 Cam, Crane roller rockers, Mac Headers, Demon 725, 35" pro comp muds

03 F250 Super Duty 7.3 Diesel, K&N Intake, Edge W/Attitude programmer, 4" exhaust, 35" Mickey Thompsons
Old 07-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
What exactly does it sound like? You mentioned it sounds like injectors. Like a rod knock? How loud? Are you sure the sound goes away on acceleration and isn't just muffled?

Can you tell which side of the engine it's coming from? You might think about disconnecting the UVCH wiring from each side one at a time to see which side gets rid of your noise. That would at least give you a place to start.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
Old 07-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Broken flex plate.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:52 PM
Postmaster

hucka1a is a name known to allhucka1a is a name known to allhucka1a is a name known to allhucka1a is a name known to allhucka1a is a name known to allhucka1a is a name known to all
This sounds like the same noise I've had going on, I thought mine was more of an exhaust leak. Flex plate? I hadn't though of that. How would you go about checking/changing the flex plate?

Old 07-18-2008, 11:04 PM
Guns Dont Kill People..

schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.
fordf250guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead View Post
Broken flex plate.
Hey quick...whats a flex plate and wheres it located...(I know I know...Im still learning), lol
Thx Schlepprock
Phil Late'99 F-250 SuperDuty 4x4 SB CC SRW 7.3 4"TurboBack SS Exhaust(muffled) DP-Tuner:No Start,Stock,High Idle,60Tow,Decel,80Tow,80Econo,120Race,Lope Idle AIH Delete OBA Isspro EV2 Gauges Boost/Trans/Pyro Billet T-Stat Housing(195 Stat) BTS ValveBody Spicer/Custom Driveline(front & rear) ATS Housing HPX FRX Wrapped 6637 6.0 Trans.cooler Bellowed Up Pipes GPR LED Tank Mods Pre Pump Filter Riffraff I/C Boots W/Riffraff Plenum Inserts.50 mod Warn Hubs Firestone Ride Rites B.E.S.T. Map PAA Member # 34
Old 07-19-2008, 06:56 AM
Elder User

Definately not the flex plate. The noise is coming from the left (driver's) side of the engine, somewhere around the middle to top side of the engine block. the noise definately goes away at the slightest increase in RPM, but it's loud at idle. Increase the idle 100-200 RPMs, and it sounds normal. It sounds to me like the injectors clacking louder, but it's hard to tell. I'm going to check the exhaust manifold today, and make sure it's tight, and doesn't have a break in it. Other than that, I'm stumped?

86 F150 4X4, 351, GT40P Heads, 274 Cam, Crane roller rockers, Mac Headers, Demon 725, 35" pro comp muds

03 F250 Super Duty 7.3 Diesel, K&N Intake, Edge W/Attitude programmer, 4" exhaust, 35" Mickey Thompsons
Old 07-19-2008, 07:03 AM
Post Fiend

ron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud of
flex plate is what the TC bolts to....look thought the driver side wheel well around the exhaust mainfold for soot or on a cold motor start her up and feel around the manifold for exhast blowing out......maybe a small exhaust leak...
Early 99 7.3 F350 auto,TN T-4 mount with a s467 for air,SRP 1.1 for oil,H-11 stud's,"NEW" alliant 315/200 hybrids, all supplied by unlimited diesel..shimmed 910's, DI push rod's, Driven diesel fuel system with a fuel lab 41401 ..tuned by Gearhead..

1988 F250 7,3 IDI with 112k-bone stock plow truck..
Old 07-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Go Bills !

danskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to behold
Flex plate is also called. FLY WHEEL. The big toothed gear the starter ingauges. With a Automatic , It attached the Crank Shaft to the Torque Converter.

From my understanding you can not see if is it cracked from the access cover. You have to drop tranny and look around were the FP bolts to the crankshaft.

A couple of old pictures i took with my cell phone a while back. Flex plate is the flywheel with the big grear running around the OD.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:16 AM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Quote:
Originally Posted by flcracker9 View Post
Definately not the flex plate. The noise is coming from the left (driver's) side of the engine, somewhere around the middle to top side of the engine block. the noise definately goes away at the slightest increase in RPM, but it's loud at idle. Increase the idle 100-200 RPMs, and it sounds normal. It sounds to me like the injectors clacking louder, but it's hard to tell. I'm going to check the exhaust manifold today, and make sure it's tight, and doesn't have a break in it. Other than that, I'm stumped?
I agree, it doesn't sound like a flex plate. But sound can travel.
It wouldn't be a broken exhaust, it would get louder if you put a load on the engine.
If I were in your position, I would be pulling the valve cover off, then running it to see what's up.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:39 AM
Gone, but not forgotten

Markadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant future
Quote:
I do have an oil leak where the hpop bolts to the block, it's been leaking for 3 months.

And this does not bug the Hell out of you?
1999.5 F-250 2x4 Extended Cab Long Bed
209,351+miles
6637 Mod
4 inch SS Straight Pipe
DP Oh Boy! Need I say more?
PhD In Common Sense & Logicality
University of Hard Knocks
Old 07-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Go Bills !

danskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
The noise is coming from the left (driver's) side of the engine, somewhere around the middle to top side of the engine block. the noise definately goes away at the slightest increase in RPM, but it's loud at idle. Increase the idle 100-200 RPMs, and it sounds normal. It sounds to me like the injectors clacking louder,
Excact symptom i have. Cell phone clips, can listen with "quicktime player" http://www.geocities.com/dirtsplat/k...timeplayer.zip

I discovered it was defenitly #8 injector by pulling the wire.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:13 AM
Guns Dont Kill People..

schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.schlepprock250 has a great reputation on FTE.
fordf250guy
I have more of a ticking,rocker arm kinda sound, you can hear it from the driers side, but you can REALLY hear it from the passenger side.
Shlepprock
Phil Late'99 F-250 SuperDuty 4x4 SB CC SRW 7.3 4"TurboBack SS Exhaust(muffled) DP-Tuner:No Start,Stock,High Idle,60Tow,Decel,80Tow,80Econo,120Race,Lope Idle AIH Delete OBA Isspro EV2 Gauges Boost/Trans/Pyro Billet T-Stat Housing(195 Stat) BTS ValveBody Spicer/Custom Driveline(front & rear) ATS Housing HPX FRX Wrapped 6637 6.0 Trans.cooler Bellowed Up Pipes GPR LED Tank Mods Pre Pump Filter Riffraff I/C Boots W/Riffraff Plenum Inserts.50 mod Warn Hubs Firestone Ride Rites B.E.S.T. Map PAA Member # 34
Old 07-19-2008, 09:34 AM
Go Bills !

How bad it that oil leak? I think i would go after that first.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Gone, but not forgotten

Markadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskool View Post
How bad it that oil leak? I think i would go after that first.

Would the leak have anything to do with oil pressure getting to the injectors. Hmmm, HPOP oil leak, injector noise, double Hmmmmm.
1999.5 F-250 2x4 Extended Cab Long Bed
209,351+miles
6637 Mod
4 inch SS Straight Pipe
DP Oh Boy! Need I say more?
PhD In Common Sense & Logicality
University of Hard Knocks
Old 07-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markadeck View Post
And this does not bug the Hell out of you?
Yes it bugs the hell out of me, but not as much as the $1145.00 estimate I got to fix it!. That was the cheapest of 3 estimates. I've checked the o-ring seals on the HPOP, and the plug, and that's not where it's leaking. All 3 shops (1 was a Ford dealer) say the pump needs to be replaced?. I lose a quart every 2 weeks. For $1145.00, I can put a lot of quarts of oil in!.

Anyways, I took a piece of re-bar, and used it as a stethoscope, and I narrowed it down to being the water pump bearing. I then removed the serpentine belt, started the motor, and no more noise!. At least it's an easy fix.
Thanks to those who replied

Old 07-19-2008, 02:07 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1999, 2003, 73, 73l, diesel, engine, f350, flywheel, ford, idle, injectors, loud, make, making, noise, powerstroke