1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Coolant Leak Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 12:03 PM
xtmsports
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coolant Leak Issue

Hi guys,

I have a 98 Expy with the 5.4L engine. I noticed a pretty major leak yesterday near the water pump, so I replaced the water pump.

But it's still leaking badly. The leak is coming from behind the water pump. I can see coolant accumulation in the "valley" behind the water pump mounting surface.

Can any Expedition expert tell me if there is some hose behind the water pump mounting surface? Its hard to see what is behind the water pump and the alternator.

Thanks.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:34 PM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Under intake behind waterpump/ alternator there is a coolant line that you need to remove intake to replace

Old 07-18-2008, 09:18 AM
xtmsports
Junior User
Originally Posted by cbradford
Under intake behind waterpump/ alternator there is a coolant line that you need to remove intake to replace
Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it.

I had a mobile mechanic come by my house for a diagnostic service of $50. He said he can see a hose back there hanging, so I assume that is the same hose your are referencing.

He wanted $500 to remove the intake to fix the issue. But he said it could be a cracked engine block too. So I told him that I would think about it.

I have never removed the intake, is it pretty hard to do?

Thanks.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:42 AM
xtmsports
Junior User
You were right on the money. I removed the intake manifold and there is a metal coolant tube that had a hole from corrosion.

I made a foolish mistake after I took the intake manifold off. I was trying to find the leak, so I filled the coolant tank with water (not thinking!) and water came out of a the leak, but water also came out of the square holes on the block and got in the spark plug hole (spark plug still in there) and also a couple of the valve chambers. I vacuumed the water out and blaster the hell out of it with my compressor and that seemed to have dried the valve chamber.

My question, Am I screwed? I know the vavles are not water tight. I am concerned that the water leaked into the valve chamber and maybe seeped through the cracks and got to the engine. Does anybody know if I am screwed and if so, how do I correct the issue?

Do I just drain the motor oil?

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2008, 01:38 PM
c_hohensee
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be a good idea to replace the oil as cheap insurance. If you are concerned about coolant in the cylinders you could pull the plugs out of the cylinders in question and crank the motor over to push out any coolant. Otherwise you are not too screwed.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:42 PM
xtmsports
Junior User

I had a doozy of a time finding this part from a Ford Dealer. It is a hard part to look up.

For any readers who have this same issue. The Ford part number is:

F75Z18663AB - $31 - It is a metal coolant tube from the heater hose to the back of the water pump housing.

You will also need a 2 inch fitting from the hose to the water pump housing.
F75Z8555AA - $14

Thanks for all the help guys.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Warfarin
Freshman User
Seems to be a common problem. I had a leak on my 99 from some coolant crossover thingy right on the front of my intake. I thought it was the water pump at first as well and bought a new pump but luckily found the problem before I switched them out.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
xtmsports, how hard is/was it do this job yourself?
~Gage~

Old 01-12-2010, 08:12 PM
DntEvnThkBoutIT
New User
what was the color of the leak/coolant? i think the same might have happened to mine, and would like to be able to fix it on my own before paying the local mechanic $89 JUST to look at it... also, when did it happen? it happened for me just after the shifted into neutral (thinking i was in drive) and hit the gas. pulled away with a large brown puddle on the ground. noticed the leak stops when the engine isn't running. and I can't see the source of the leak but know it's coming from somewhere above the exhaust headers, before the transmission, and on the passenger side. i pop up the hood but can't see anything.
if you could, please msg me back asap... be best to email me at nickaegerter@aol.com

Thanks!

Old 01-12-2010, 08:28 PM
fordtech08
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DntEvnThkBoutIT
what was the color of the leak/coolant? i think the same might have happened to mine, and would like to be able to fix it on my own before paying the local mechanic $89 JUST to look at it... also, when did it happen? it happened for me just after the shifted into neutral (thinking i was in drive) and hit the gas. pulled away with a large brown puddle on the ground. noticed the leak stops when the engine isn't running. and I can't see the source of the leak but know it's coming from somewhere above the exhaust headers, before the transmission, and on the passenger side. i pop up the hood but can't see anything.
if you could, please msg me back asap... be best to email me at nickaegerter@aol.com

Thanks!
look at the back corner of your head gasket on the passenger side, could be an oil leak or if your coolant is really that bad then you need to look at the hoses above the valve cover in the same corner, and then go get your coolant flushed that is nasty