General Automotive Discussion

wierdest stuff that youve found or seen on the side of the road

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Autoglass
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was out in New Mexico on US 666, Near an Indian Reservation, Saw a drunk Indian arguing and tugging on the reins with a mule. Mule already sat down on it's rear end, I don't have to say who was winning that argument. Passed a trucker going the other way, he asked what it was like on his side, I told him about the Indian, He yelled back,,, "He's still at it! The mule is still winning!"

Old 07-19-2008, 05:37 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Last day of the 8th grade I walked home (long story, but basically I missed the bus). I found a stack of Hustlers, Penthouse, Oiu, Cherry and Playboy magazines in perfect condition in the ditch on the side of the road. I walked home at least 8 miles with a stack of about 40 magazines (must have looked very funny) and promptly hid them in the treehouse when I got home. It could have been 100 and I'd have found away to get them home. I learned a lot of interesting things that summer.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:49 PM
daddio360
Senior User
Just yesterday I scored four pieces of aluminum roof edging (squashed at the very end but otherwise in perfect condition). Nowadays, when you find ANYTHING aluminum (or bronze, copper, etc) you know it hasn't been there long.

I once loaded up several hundred board feet of long rough sawn oak boards; they didn't all fly off at once, so I had to keep driving to get them all.

But hands down the strangest (& funniest) thing I've even seen along the road was a guy pissing on the hood of a state trooper's cruiser. They say some people get pretty stupid when they drink...there's your proof.

I brake for bungees but most that I find are broken.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:39 PM
1985 Ford F-150
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got one thats me loosing stuff i just got back from campin today and it was all rough washboard dirt roads for about 50 miles and when i looked at my truck when i got home i noticed that my f250 emblem on the side was gone i dot a junk truck so ill just take it off that to fix it those roads suck bad

Old 07-24-2008, 08:57 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FTE Ken - thanks for taking care of my collection.

I was driving my RV home from a weekend at Lagoon Park in Salt Lake, and a few miles out of Evanston I saw an RV air conditioner cowling by the side of the road. I thought "some poor schmuck, probably doesn't even know it's gone yet". Well, when I got home - you guessed it - I looked at my a/c unit, and the cowling was gone. It was mine! I'd lost it on the way over, and didn't even notice all weekend.

My wife was doing some volunteer road cleanup, and found a set of the hot gloves used for taking stuff out of the oven. A while later she found an aluminum pan and a Thanksgiving turkey. She figures somebody put it on the roof of their car and drove off.

I've found lots of tools while doing volunteer cleanup. I always find them in the first few hundred feet, and have to carry them for a couple of miles.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:49 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
lets see..
this week:
4 $100 bills in the center median of the road, in an envelope with no lettering on it.
also, a brand new, unmounted, 235-85-16 front runner tread tire.

last week:
a fully loaded 45 caliber glock.
a smith and wesson 12 gauge pump shotgun with the barrel and stock cut to almost pistol size.
a bag of white powder.
(the state troopers hate me for finding this stuff.)

2 weeks ago:
a completely stocked snap on top box, and a victor portable oxy-acetylene setup.
an unloaded baretta 9 mm semi-auto pistol

back in 88, i walked out of a 7-11 in Salisbury North Carolina, and the phone rang. i set the 2 quart stainless steel thermos full of coffee on the front bumper of the rattletrap, and answered the cell phone.
forgetting what i was doing, i got into the truck, and proceeded to drive back to Jersey in a snow storm.
about 20 miles later, i realized the thermos was missing, and wrote it off as having fallen off on the road somewhere.

750 miles and 14 hours later, as i was getting ready to hook the snow plow up to the truck to go plowing, there is the thermos, resting comfortably between the front bumper and the lower cowling, still full of lukewarm coffee.

The thermos story is great!

I cant believe you find so many guns, do you live in a bad area or something?

Old 07-24-2008, 10:59 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by FTE Ken
Last day of the 8th grade I walked home (long story, but basically I missed the bus). I found a stack of Hustlers, Penthouse, Oiu, Cherry and Playboy magazines in perfect condition in the ditch on the side of the road. I walked home at least 8 miles with a stack of about 40 magazines (must have looked very funny) and promptly hid them in the treehouse when I got home. It could have been 100 and I'd have found away to get them home. I learned a lot of interesting things that summer.
Talk about a HUGE SCORE when your in grade 8!

About the best thing I have found was a full 18 pack of beer when I was just getting into the age (14 years old up here haha ) of starting to drink.

I have found lots of tools, I have seen a few couches, beds, stuff like that.

I once seen a patio set completly set up, in the middle of no where, way up north. It was on a curve with no side roads near by.

I know even myself I lost a stove out of the back of my truck once, so that must have been quite the junk find for someone!

In the mountains I have seen a few old vehicles, and motorhomes that have plunged off the side of the mountain, and have been abandon.

One motorhome I went and checked out someone even went and pulled the engine and tranny out of it!

Old 07-24-2008, 11:05 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Originally Posted by preppypyro
The thermos story is great!

I cant believe you find so many guns, do you live in a bad area or something?
nope. we are working on a major highway that connects New York with the outlying New Jersey communities

Old 07-24-2008, 03:06 PM
freirefishing
Postmaster
hookers,pimps,drug dealers and crack addicts.....oh my......everyday on the side of the road here........you even get that deer in headlightes look, to boot

also im nominating 85 ford f-150 for the king of run on sentences

Old 07-28-2008, 02:11 PM
1985 Ford F-150
Elder User
Thanks alot ill hold it with pride

Old 07-28-2008, 03:56 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I seen some weird stuff as well but now my problem is my 16 year old finding weird stuff and dragging it home in his pickup. I send him to the dump and he comes home with more than he left with. Go figure.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:34 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
In december of 2006, I was on the western ky parkway heading towards Elizabethtown, and it was nothing but solid ice. The state had issued a warning saying only 4X4's or chains were allowed on the road. Well, I was driving a dually, figured there were 4 wheels on the back, so I qualified as a 4X4. Anyhow, I was passed by 2 cars at a high rate of speed for the road conditions. I was going about 30mph, they were probably running 60. A few miles up the road, I passed both of them in the ditches, one on each side of the road. I smiled and waved big as I drove buy. About a half hour later, one of them passed me again.

My brother, early one morning, on I-75, just north of Lexington, Ky stopped to help a car stuck in the middle of the road. Apparently, the car hit a barbeque grill and got wedged up under the front end. Put holes in both the tranny and oil pan. Black grill, dark road, bad combination.

A couple years ago, my Dad found a portable set of cutting torches. Oxygen, Acetelyne, gauges, and a torch, in a handy carry pack along the road next to his tobacco field.

Found a drunk in the middle of the road on night, passed out, laying in the road.

Two of my best friends got the find of any red blooded males dream. They were coming home from fishing and came across 2 people in trench coats walking along the road. Apparently, they were female, and all they had on were the trench coats. I asked if they recognized the girls, and both said we couldn't get our eyes above the "headlights".

Old 07-28-2008, 05:29 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
At 3:00 A.M. in the morning, a limo parked In the right lane with a couple standing at the rear of the car, I just moved into the left lane blowing the air horn as I went by. That's all I'm gonna say.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:58 PM
smokestone52
Elder User
A few weeks ago I had gotten laid off from work and really had the blues. As I was driving home trying to think of something to say to the little woman, I spied a large metal tool box half on the side walk. I went around the block, and viola it was filled with almost brand new craftsman hand tools. Wrenches, sockets and what have you. I felt much better, and my wife and I went out that night to celebrate me getting rid of a lousy job, and better things to come! I did put the tool chest in the lost and found of the paper. I got several calls on it, but no one could even come close to describing the contents. I love my new craftsman tools!