2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Interior "bump"

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:37 PM
threefiftyone
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior "bump"

Has anyone had, have, or noticed a deep thump sound in the rear of their Expy while driving over bumps? It's had it since we've bought it. The dealer said they realigned the exhaust and checked numerous possibilities, but it still lingers. (we have a good dealer here btw) I have also done checks on certain things, but i cannot find it. It does not sound off while towing, and/or if we have it loaded down. I'm starting to think it might be the rear hatch not seating correctly. It seems to pop out a little when you close a front door. Don't know

Thanks

Old 07-17-2008, 05:55 AM
hjsimpson
Senior User
Originally Posted by threefiftyone
Has anyone had, have, or noticed a deep thump sound in the rear of their Expy while driving over bumps? It's had it since we've bought it. The dealer said they realigned the exhaust and checked numerous possibilities, but it still lingers. (we have a good dealer here btw) I have also done checks on certain things, but i cannot find it. It does not sound off while towing, and/or if we have it loaded down. I'm starting to think it might be the rear hatch not seating correctly. It seems to pop out a little when you close a front door. Don't know

Thanks
It maybe what I have been experiencing. Does your expy ever give you the
rear hatch ajar warning? Maybe adjusting the latch like berry1234 said in my post may help.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...r-warning.html

My ford dealership isnt so good and they closed the other one I preferred to goto.

I brought my expy in yesterday for the TSB 07-8-11 (HARSH 1-2 AND/OR 2-1 SHIFTS, TIP-IN HESITATION OR SURGE, AND/OR LONG ENGAGEMENT TIME)
and they gave me crap for bringing in the a printout of it to show them even though thats what THEY used to diagnose the issue.
I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:43 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pop the rear glass. Push on the hatch and see if you can duplicate it. I have a slight knocking sound from this. The hatch design allows it to move a bit. I am still tweaking the striker hook and rubber bumpers to get it just right.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:44 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by hjsimpson
It maybe what I have been experiencing. Does your expy ever give you the
rear hatch ajar warning? Maybe adjusting the latch like berry1234 said in my post may help.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...r-warning.html

My ford dealership isnt so good and they closed the other one I preferred to goto.

I brought my expy in yesterday for the TSB 07-8-11 (HARSH 1-2 AND/OR 2-1 SHIFTS, TIP-IN HESITATION OR SURGE, AND/OR LONG ENGAGEMENT TIME)
and they gave me crap for bringing in the a printout of it to show them even though thats what THEY used to diagnose the issue.
I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.
Gave you crap how? How could they when you are trying to explain something to them?

Old 07-17-2008, 01:12 PM
IQ9
Senior User
I have been given crap for being a Know-it-all by having the TSBs in hand. I have no idea why these guys have an issue with it. I saved them time. My guy got fired so I am floating between two service writers and both seem to push my issue away but I will find the solution/cause and then bright it Fords attention and let Ford tell the dealer I figured it out on my own. Strange they NEVER can replicate the sound but I get it every day I drive with the A/C on. The sound is a compressor noise...similar to one you woiuld use to pump up a tire. The kind that plug into the 12v on the dash. The A/C runs for about 20 minutes and you hear the noise in the passenger floorboard area/firewall.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:39 PM
hjsimpson
Senior User
Originally Posted by IQ9
I have been given crap for being a Know-it-all by having the TSBs in hand. I have no idea why these guys have an issue with it. I saved them time. My guy got fired so I am floating between two service writers and both seem to push my issue away but I will find the solution/cause and then bright it Fords attention and let Ford tell the dealer I figured it out on my own. Strange they NEVER can replicate the sound but I get it every day I drive with the A/C on. The sound is a compressor noise...similar to one you woiuld use to pump up a tire. The kind that plug into the 12v on the dash. The A/C runs for about 20 minutes and you hear the noise in the passenger floorboard area/firewall.
Crap as in, when the guy at the counter is explaining to the tech that the customer(me) did some diagnosing of his own and brought in the print outs of the TSB. Then I hear the tech murur as he walks off that those sheets don't mean anything.
Like I said I would not recommend them to my worst enemy.

They even screwed me when I purchased the vehicle. Some background first, I own my own business and currently my 02 Explorer was registered and owned personally. Upon puchasing the Expy I traded in Explorer they told me it would be easier to transfer the personal plates and insurance to the Expy and register it under my name and the business. They also told me there would be no issues to transfer the plates over to commercial plates with my current commercial auto insurance.

Since the person I worked with delt with commercial accounts all the time, I figured they would know best.

WRONG!

Since the truck was registered with my name and THEN referenced the business name under it technically the business does not own the vehicle and cannot have commerial coverage that fully covers any driver that uses the vehicle for work purposes. So that means I have a personally owned vehicle that is leased to my company with commercial plates and commercial insurance that only fully covers my wife and myself as drivers. The only way for me to remedy this is to "sell" the Expy to my company, register it only under the business and ultimately re-pay the sales tax on the vehicle that way anyone that drives the vehicle is fully covered under my commercial insurance.

Lesson learned...never to trust the dealer!

Sorry to be so far off topic....just some pent up frustration i guess... lol

Old 07-17-2008, 04:41 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by hjsimpson
Crap as in, when the guy at the counter is explaining to the tech that the customer(me) did some diagnosing of his own and brought in the print outs of the TSB. Then I hear the tech murur as he walks off that those sheets don't mean anything.
Yeah, they don't mean anything if they don't know how to read!

Old 07-17-2008, 11:40 PM
IQ9
Senior User
RIF...Reading Is Fundamental. Sorry I had too....

Old 07-21-2008, 10:40 AM
ltatkinson
Senior User
As far as the "bump" sound this might be to simple but I didnt see it menitioned. Check the spare tire, make sure it is tight.

Tim

Old 07-21-2008, 10:53 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
As well as the jack.