2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new rotors and brakes for my 05 FX4?

Old 07-25-2008, 10:09 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok...don't shoot me...I really do know what i'm doing as i've been working on vehicles for most of my life....i put on ceramic pads about 5000 miles ago....they're almost brand new....but the rotors are now starting to warp....i'm thinking of having the rotors turned...and sanding down the pads to clean them up back to flat on a belt sander.....anyone ever tried this...I hate to replace a 80 dollar pair of pads when they're almost brand new........again.....just wondering if anyones ever tried it...

Old 07-25-2008, 10:48 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Never tried sanding the pads down but I did have a set of ceramics warp the rotors on my mustang after a couple thousand miles. I had the rotors turned and put the ceramic pads back on. I ended up with a decent vibration and it felt as though the pads were "floating" on the rotors as they didn't seem to grip the rotor. I ended up putting a set of new pads on.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:42 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
clean them up back to flat on a belt sander.....anyone ever tried this...I hate to replace a 80 dollar pair of pads when they're almost brand new........again.....just wondering if anyones ever tried it...
good luck with that...I'm thinking you're just going to waste alot of time trying to get them useable.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have used belt sander to knock the glaze off of pads that squeak before sucessfully. I have also just roughed them up a little by hand with 80 grit just enough to get rid of glazing. I would use ceramic pads if I were to tow as they have better stopping power. If the truck isn't going to be used for towing, Bendix makes a good quality semi-metallic pad that does not give off the brake dust that the factory pads do. I have towed with Bendix pads on my old 95 F-150 and they were ok, but they do fade like the factory pads do under severe use. The Bendix pads aren't quite as hard on rotors as ceramic pads, though. I hope this helps you make a choice.

Greg B

Old 08-13-2008, 07:11 PM
tored1971
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
update!!

Originally Posted by tored1971
Hey guys, I ordered some cross drilled and slotted rotors from rotorpros.com for front and back for $320 shipped to my house and also got Wagner Thermoquiet pads, front and back from rockauto.com for $83 shipped to my house.
The pads have already arrived and I am waiting for the rotors.
I should get the rotors Tuesday, July 29th, and will get busy putting the brakes on ASAP.
I will post the results after I get the brakes and rotors on.
What do I need besides the brakes and rotors?
I am going to get some carb cleaner, same as brake cleaner, to clean the new rotors and get some grease for the surfaces that the calipers ride on and also get some "Disc quiet" for the back of the pads.

Thanks Guys, Phil
I finally installed the rotors and brake pads on my truck.
I bought the Chiltons manual and as usual it sucks!!!!
If I had not done brake jobs in the past I would have not been able to get the job done.
The front pads had about 2/3rds of the pad left but the rear pads were worn down to the backing plates with 32,000 on the odometer.
The truck seems to stop much better with the new rotors and pads and doesn't shake rattle and roll when I press on the brake pedal.
I hope the new Wagner pads will eliminate the brake dust problems I had in the past.
I will keep all posted.

Phil

Old 08-14-2008, 09:47 AM
Arnold Kenyon
Senior User
You will love those pads, they will do away with the brake dust problem.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:16 PM
tored1971
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Arnold Kenyon
You will love those pads, they will do away with the brake dust problem.
Well I had a little problem with one of the calipers, the right rear. When I was pushing the piston in on the right rear caliper it seemed to be very tight and required alot of pressure from the c-clamp. After driving to the vet to get my dog a blood test I smelled something funny and began to touch all the wheels with my hand to see if a caliper had frozen. Sure enough the right rear wheel was VERY hot compared to the other wheels. I picked up a caliper from CarQuest today and took the right rear caliper off and saw the rubber seal around the piston had heated up so much that it was brittle. I put the new caliper on and am waiting for my wife to help me bleed the brakes.
Do I bleed the brakes with the engine running or with the engine off, of course the Chilton manual doesn't tell me.

Thanks guys, Phil

Old 08-15-2008, 06:14 PM
tored1971
Freshman User
Well I had a little problem with one of the calipers, the right rear. When I was pushing the piston in on the right rear caliper it seemed to be very tight and required alot of pressure from the c-clamp. After driving to the vet to get my dog a blood test I smelled something funny and began to touch all the wheels with my hand to see if a caliper had frozen. Sure enough the right rear wheel was VERY hot compared to the other wheels. I picked up a caliper from CarQuest today and took the right rear caliper off and saw the rubber seal around the piston had heated up so much that it was brittle. I put the new caliper on and am waiting for my wife to help me bleed the brakes.
Do I bleed the brakes with the engine running or with the engine off, of course the Chilton manual doesn't tell me.

Thanks guys, Phil
I used an old trick that I used when bleeding the brakes on my race car, gravity bleeding, I just cracked the bleeder slightly for about 2 hours and let the brake fluid gravity feed out of the bleeder screw.
My wife just came home and she helped me bleed the brakes, with the engine off, I got very little air out of the bleeder. I had her depress the pedal 4 times and made sure that I heard and saw no air coming from the bleeder.
I took a test drive for about a 1/2 mile and the brakes seemed fine.
I will keep you all updated, Phil

Old 08-15-2008, 06:14 PM
tored1971
Freshman User

Thanks guys, Phil
I used an old trick that I used when bleeding the brakes on my race car, gravity bleeding, I just cracked the bleeder slightly for about 2 hours and let the brake fluid gravity feed out of the bleeder screw.
My wife just came home and she helped me bleed the brakes, with the engine off, I got very little air out of the bleeder. I had her depress the pedal 4 times and made sure that I heard and saw no air coming from the bleeder.
I took a test drive for about a 1/2 mile and the brakes seemed fine.
I will keep you all updated, Phil