Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Washington Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Washington Chapter Washington Chapter
Join Chapter, Leader: GruesomeJeans

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Senior User

bfbiker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking water for gas

anyone try this a freind came over and showed it in his 3/4 ton big block chev and claims hes getting 5mpg more with it
Water Car Run on WATER+Fuel. Hydrogen Save Gas=FREE ENERGY!
Old 07-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Postmaster

Placermike has a very good reputation on FTE.Placermike has a very good reputation on FTE.Placermike has a very good reputation on FTE.Placermike has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfbiker View Post
anyone try this a freind came over and showed it in his 3/4 ton big block chev and claims hes getting 5mpg more with it
Water Car Run on WATER+Fuel. Hydrogen Save Gas=FREE ENERGY!
Maybe that is why Fords run better than Chevys. I won't try it, but will trade some of my water for gas anytime....LOL

EClampus Vitus Major WM Downie 1849

Old 07-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Senior User

Cyruscosmo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Water Fuel?

In the first place the car/truck is not running on water. The setup uses electrolysis to separate the hydrogen and oxygen in the water into a gas, which is fed into the engine. Yes your mileage will go up a bit because of the extra-oxidized fuel you are adding but not by much. And it's very tricky to get running consistent. The computer in cars now days tends to adjust all of the benefit out of the hydrogen/oxygen gas you add.

A normal gas engine will actually run worse when powered by hydrogen because it burns so much faster then gasoline. If you want the engine to run on a hydrogen oxygen mixture you will need to change the timing of your engine to 0 not 5 to 9 degrees BTDC. The timing on a gas motor is set BTDC because gasoline burns much slower than hydrogen/oxygen. You also have that big assed chunk of iron they call a flywheel because of the BTDC setting of a gas motor. If you readjust the timing for hydrogen then it won't run good on gasline and vise versa.

Don't get me wrong... it does work but the other problem with using the "fuel cell" as they call um is the rate at which the water is separated into the two gasses. The engine will suck up more than the cell can make. And a cell big enough to do the job of running the whole car/truck would be larger than would fit under the hood not to mention the amount of electricity it takes to run an electrolysis setup that big. Supposedly you can run for hundreds of miles on the power in one gallon of water but I never seen anything to confirm that. And trying to convert water fast enough to run down the hiway makes so much heat in the cell you end up boiling off most of the water.

The other consideration in having that much already mixed hydrogen/oxygen under a hood next to a hot engine is, it's very dangerous.

I tried a setup I built myself a year back and at best I could get a 4 to 6 mile increase in mileage but the damn thing was a royal headache to keep working properly.

I decided in the long run just keeping my foot off the gas pedal and driving a little more wisely saved me more and was far less hassle.

If you do decide to try it you may as well go buy you a 100 amp alternator in the first place cause the extra power draw will kill the stock one pretty quick. Also you will need a way to bypass any computer the car/truck has and set the timing on the fly. The parts are very easy to find and or build so if you wanna try it don't by one online. The markup in parts is like 600%

Cyrus

Old 07-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Postmaster

Placermike has a very good reputation on FTE.Placermike has a very good reputation on FTE.Placermike has a very good reputation on FTE.Placermike has a very good reputation on FTE.
I was just being facetious.

That theory has been around since the 20's. It has also been put into pratice. However, thus far, it has not been cost effective.

That may change with the rising cost of oil based fuel.

EClampus Vitus Major WM Downie 1849

Old 07-17-2008, 11:45 PM