Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Elder User

97 HD is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Plastic and Bio Diesel

Im getting ready to build my processor. I have some HDPE 55 gal drums that I plan on using for the the processor. My question is this, what kind of ball valves and piping can i use to make my connections. Is PVC ok? I know that some plastics dont play well with some of the chemicals used in Bio Diesel, but cant find which ones.

2007 F-150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4
Old 07-15-2008, 03:38 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Plastic is not a very good choice for a processor. HDPE is only good to 140 deg, and since your temps are going to be close to this temp the plastic will deteriorate over time. PVC can be used for piping, but not CPVC. Most PVC valves are crap, and won't hold up. Your much better off using steel tanks, steel piping, and brass valves. I'm telling you this from experience. When I started over 4 years ago I used some PVC for piping, but soon decided that there was just to much risk involved.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 07-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Junior User

motoman97 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have not had any problems w/ my plastic tanks at all, but I do notice my plastic ball valves getting harder to set. I would go with brass ball valves. I have prossessed at least 500 gallons w/ no problems. The only car we use here is my 2006 f250. It has become the family car for everything.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:35 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
The biggest danger with plastic is fire. We had a terrible fire in Salem a couple of years ago that started as a small paper fire in the guys shed. It was relatively small, but it melted a small hole in his plastic tank, and burned a PVC pipe in two. the release of 200+ gallons of bio fueled the fire, which destroyed his 2 car garage, and damn near burned his house down! If we are to continue brewing bio in a home environment without excessive regulation we must all try and work as safely as possible.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 07-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Senior User

Knotwild is starting off with a positive reputation.
Use old propane tanks. I have two 125 gallon tanks. One to react and one to settle.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Senior User

Wieckster is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have been making fuel in a plastic tank and havent had any problems
Old 07-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
But then you haven't had a fire.
Plastic will burn or melt releasing any BD it contains and adding to a fire. Metal will contain the BD unless it gets very very hot.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Senior User

the oil is only 120 degrees when you put it in the machine so I doubt it will start on fire at that temp
Old 07-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Senior User

Tom D is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wieckster View Post
the oil is only 120 degrees when you put it in the machine so I doubt it will start on fire at that temp
Pay attention to what they are telling you. The problem is not with the OPERATING temperature of the bio causing a fire, it is if SOMETHING GOES WRONG like a motor that overheats, an outside source of fire, an electrical short circuit, etc. The steel plumbing and tanks will prevent the bio from leaking out and becoming a fuel for a VERY large fire. As Fabmandelux said, we need to be safe with our processors or the govt will ban them and we will ALL be SOL. Tom
Old 07-31-2008, 07:48 PM
Senior User

The main thing to take away from all this is SAFETY first
Old 07-31-2008, 07:48 PM