S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Who has a CB radio in any of their cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 05:32 PM
fun_suv
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who has a CB radio in any of their cars?

Im having trouble getting reception and transmitting with my Cobra 19DX, 5' Firestik antenna. Does anyone have an SWR meter we could tune this sucker with?

Would it be possible for all of us who have a CB to jump on a channel one night and see if we could pick each other up?

Old 07-14-2008, 07:14 PM
BigGeo
Senior User
CB Reception

I thought it was your mike that was giving you problems. The range of your CB is only about 1-2 miles line of sight. Might get out 5+ miles if conditions are right. Those getting out father are doing it illegal with a linear power supply. Try or any Radio shop .
Whittier Electronics Company
(562) 692-1221
6606 Gretna Ave, Whittier, CA
Get Directions
www.whittierelectronics.c...
George

Old 07-15-2008, 10:26 AM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There is a place in tustin that does tuning for you for about $15...its like "the solder shop" or something like that i forget but could find it if you wanted...I can jump on my CB and see if i can hear ya but i am down in Irvine so....

Old 07-15-2008, 01:41 PM
verumlike
Elder User
I was thinking bout getting one installed ... are their any antenna's that arent insane looking

Old 07-15-2008, 01:45 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
depends on what you think insane looks like?

Old 07-15-2008, 01:46 PM
verumlike
Elder User
I dont want to see it lol...

Old 07-15-2008, 03:03 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
I know you can get hide away radio antenas but not shure about CB ones....could get a hide away radio antena and use the stock radio antena as your CB one...just an idea

Old 07-15-2008, 04:56 PM
bigjimcruising
Senior User
Don't know where you are located but I do have a meter and might be able to help tune your antenna. Problem is that most antennas these days can't really be tuned. Look and see if your's has the screw at the top or instructions for tuning. By the way, what makes you think you're getting poor reception?

I'm around the Santa Ana, Garden Grove area. If you're within a mile or so I'll get on mine and try to talk with you but don't expect much range in the city with CB radios.

Oh and to answer the thread, yes I do have CB. Also HAM, FRS, GMRS, and probably some other letter junk too. lol!

Griff, you can get one of those base load steel whip antennas that if mounted off the bed are pretty hard to see. I think they were marketed under Wilson brand a few years ago.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:32 PM
verumlike
Elder User
Originally Posted by BradyCouchman
I know you can get hide away radio antenas but not shure about CB ones....could get a hide away radio antena and use the stock radio antena as your CB one...just an idea

Problem with that is.. My regular Antenna is 3'' long lol.. Works for the radio just fine.. but dont see it working for cb

Old 07-15-2008, 05:34 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
most CBs are 4 feet and i have a magnet one that is about 3 and it works just fine......but i am not sure if you could rig the radio antenna for CB?

Old 07-15-2008, 05:35 PM
verumlike
Elder User
Originally Posted by BradyCouchman
most CBs are 4 feet and i have a magnet one that is about 3 and it works just fine......but i am not sure if you could rig the radio antenna for CB?

See what im wondering is this... Im already 4 1/2 feet off the ground.. maybe i could insall it between my cab and bed.. almost hide it in between.. maybe that would work

Old 07-15-2008, 05:37 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
i dont think that will work because you really dont want anything in the way of the antenna because it will block the signal...

you might be able to mount something in your cab though....i know they make a radio antenna that will attch to the front glass might be able to get that to work?

Old 07-15-2008, 05:40 PM
bigjimcruising
Senior User
If you want to make your radio antenna into a CB antenna you'll need a special converter since they are not on the same frequencies. I've tried them and you might as well just hold a coat hanger out your window, they just don't cut it. Stick to a CB radio antenna since for CB you need every bit of signal you can squeak out the antenna!!

Griff, not sure what you mean but next to the cab like that is a pretty poor location to start with. If I follow you and you want to put the antenna between the metal of the bed and the back of the cab refer back to my coat hanger idea. lol!

Old 07-15-2008, 05:42 PM
verumlike
Elder User
Originally Posted by bigjimcruising
If you want to make your radio antenna into a CB antenna you'll need a special converter since they are not on the same frequencies. I've tried them and you might as well just hold a coat hanger out your window, they just don't cut it. Stick to a CB radio antenna since for CB you need every bit of signal you can squeak out the antenna!!

Griff, not sure what you mean but next to the cab like that is a pretty poor location to start with. If I follow you and you want to put the antenna between the metal of the bed and the back of the cab refer back to my coat hanger idea. lol!

how lame..... I really want to install a CB but i cant stomach the antenna lol

Old 07-15-2008, 05:43 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bigjimcruising

i think he was thinking of putting it between the Cab and the Frame that cab is on top of...

Quick Reply: Who has a CB radio in any of their cars?