1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Practical Jokes

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Practical Jokes

Hey guys, Bobby, done got me started. With his "warped" sense of humor and his practical jokes he did while workin at the dealership, I thought it might make a cool thread?

Dont have nothing to do with trucks, but when I was a maintenance man at a local factory, I covered the "ladies" toilets with industrial celefane plastic (under the seat) A little while later, there were some VERY unhappy ladies. I've always had a sick sense of humor, and wondered if any of you shared my ideas?

Old 07-14-2008, 05:16 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boy, you are SICK.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:33 PM
merc546
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really don't think I would have told that. If you haven't guessed I'm not a fan of practical jokes.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:55 PM
birdman1
Elder User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As a rookie 1st year mechanic at a Chevy dealership they sent me for the air tank to help a stranded customer. The tank did not have an air gauge and I ask the guys how will I know when it's full?. Oh, YOU"LL KNOW was the answer.Well I'm pumping away and all of a sudden this LOUD horn blasted away. The blow off line went to the horn, new one for me.That's how you know the tanks full. I nearly had to change my shorts.
Mike

Old 07-14-2008, 08:23 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
I'm not a fan of practical jokes in the workplace. I work on heavy trucks and equipment and shop safety is priority one.
We had one joker in a shop that I worked for that would do anything to anyone for a laugh. My uncle finally got him back one fateful day. He came in on Sat morning with a considerable hangover and decided it was time to work on a BBQ grill that he was planning. It was an old propane tank that he had filled with water and let sit for a week or so. About the time he pressed the trigger on the torch, my uncle threw a lit firecracker under him. The torch went one way and he ran the other, I think he was a block away before he realized that he was still alive. The jokes ended that day!

Old 07-14-2008, 08:32 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I worked in an office enviroment for Verizon I was the early guy and it was my job to Xerox the crossword puzzle from the daily paper and distribute it about 6 people. On a whim one day I copied the clues from one day onto the puzzle grid for another day, for 1 guy. Everyone else finished the crossword except good ol Wes, about lunch time he asked me if I had finished it and I said that I thought it was a fairly simple puzzle. It wasn't until he looked at mine that he realized what was going on. Five guys all had a good laugh at his expense. After that, he always checked his copy against mine before starting.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Oh Come on!!!!!!! You cant tell me I'm the only "normal" one here??? Thats a pretty good one Jeff!! I'd do something like that.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Mr Mayo
Bring out the best!
Originally Posted by Truxx1956
Oh Come on!!!!!!! You cant tell me I'm the only "normal" one here??? Thats a pretty good one Jeff!! I'd do something like that.
I think there's lots of "normal" people here, and everyone appreciates a good laugh, but the reality is that practical jokes are just not tolerated in most workplaces anymore.

In my company, practical jokes (or as they describe it, "horseplay") are expressly forbidden. It is seen as a safety issue. Consequences can range all the way up to dismissal. At the very least, a person can risk being accused of harrassment.

It's a sign of the times.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:32 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
In the early '70s I worked on a computer assembly line. The guy across from me was an excitable boy always complaining about his electronic equipment smelling burned.

One morning I got to work early and ran a plastic tube from my station under the conveyor up inside his equipment. In those days I smoked. I blew an entire cigarette's worth of smoke into the line which did not flow out on his end. Then, when the time was right, I blew an air-hose into the line and his work station erupted in a giant smoke cloud.

He lost his mind and went running for the Support Engineer.

I then retracted the hose from where I worked. They couldn't find anything wrong and didn't believe him. It was schweet since he was a tool........

It wasn't a risky environment safety-wise and we occasionally needed some levity to break the boredom.......

Old 07-14-2008, 10:34 PM
OldgreenF1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have so many I dont have the time to type them out LOL

Old 07-14-2008, 11:08 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Minor practical joke.

A friend of mine at work rode a Honda and used to give me crap about riding a Harley. One day I put a half cup of uncooked rice under his bike and went up to his desk and told him I noticed he had a fuel leak when I parked near his bike that morning. He went down to the garage post haste and then had to laugh when he saw the rice. He never topped that one.

When he retired some friends of ours gave him a beautiful wodden box at the restaurant where we had his going away dinner. He tried to open it and it wouldn't open. He took a screw driver to the hinges and hasp. No luck. Finally a waiter came over to the table and had a hammer on a tray on a white linen napkin. Carl took the hammer and, it hurt him to do it but, he bashed in the top of the box. Inside was 5 pounds of stone and a note that said; "See, you are smarter than a box of rocks!"

Old 07-14-2008, 11:10 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Not work-related, not truck-related... but a classic.

Back in the late '70's I worked for the electric utility, which in NM has wires strung 300 miles in every direction, in isolated areas, so the line crews flew as far as they could and drove the rest of the way. They flew up on Monday, back on Friday, every week for months, so the stewardess on a puddle jumper they frequented knew them all real well, and they were fond of pulling pranks on her.

These flights were over the Rockies so pretty rough in the summer. One of the guys brought a can of Dinty Moore beef stew on board, and emptied it into a sick-sack. When the flight got rough and the stewardess was near, he made a big scene of blowing chunks into the bag. She of course offered to take it from him. When he passed it over to a friend to give to her, the friend says, "Hold on, I missed lunch today", reaches into the sack and starts eating the chunks of beef!! Needless to say the stewardess was soon sick "for real"!

Old 07-15-2008, 07:33 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,781 Likes on 1,822 Posts
Yes, "horseplay" can be dangerous and is a strict "no-no" in todays workplace. Twenty years ago things were a bit different.......

Another favorite of mine at the dealership ---

Does anyone remember those remote control car finders? Basically it was a unit you wired into the car and it had a little rmote for your key chain like a car alarm. The idea was if you lost your car in a parking lot you could press the buttons on the remote and the car would sound its horn and flash its lights.
I took one of these units, a spare battery, a windshield washer pump, 8' of hose, a squirter, and a bucket of water, placed the whole mess on the floor right next to the door to the parts department, ran the hose out of the bucket and up the wall to about 6', I attached the squirter and taped it to the wall in plain site. The whole assembly was right here out in the open--nothing hidden.

Now I could stay in my stall on the other side of the bldg and when people walked over to the parts department I could remotely activate the pump and give them a spray. Woohooo! It never failed, right after the people jumped back they would walk right up to the squirt and look directly into it. Yup, you guessed it, I'd give them another shot. By the end of the day my jaws hurt from laughing so hard all day long

I think I still have the remote car starter buried in the bottom drawer of my tool box

Bobby

Old 07-15-2008, 07:53 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by merc546
I really don't think I would have told that. If you haven't guessed I'm not a fan of practical jokes.
Aw, lighten up there Merc...

Old 07-15-2008, 08:24 AM
reg1952
Senior User
We sent a new apprentice to the parts store for 3 buckets of steam so we could shampoo a engine. The parts guy was our buddy so he was in on it. When he got there he was given 3 empty paint cans. One labeled red for cleaning. One green for rinse. and a blue for conditioner.He was given instruction on how to handle the very explosive and toxic cans. Further instruction told of the possility of death if cans where opened the wrong way. You can fill in the rest of what happened when he got back to the shop trying to carry in these 3 cans of nothing.

Quick Reply: Practical Jokes