Sponsored by: Moser

F150 with a 4-Banger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FTE Ken
A little close minded I think. A modern 5.4 will outpull a 460. Things have come a long way.
Agreed... will a turbo 4 banger be a contender to the 3v 5.4 in power/pulling ability? prolly not... will it be a good replacement for the soon to be defunct 4.2 v6, very likely...

a turbo diesel 4 banger would be interesting in both the F150 and the ranger...

Old 08-02-2008, 03:55 AM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dwrestle
I had an 05 Colorado with the 3.5 I5 it was a crew cab 4x4. I traded it pretty much straight up for my F-150. I can't complain about the 220 HP and 225 TQ, like the 5.4 in my F-150 it made like 90% of it's torque from 1500 RPM on up(which still isn't a lot of torque).
It was a quick fun little truck, and the motor was my favorite part(other than the looks). The gas mileage was not what I expected though I got 22 one time and it was a freak accident, it only got 16.5 in the winter time, and 18 in the summer and I drive like a grandpa. All the guys with the bigger 3.7 I5 seem to get better mileage and have more power. It had a little bed, and no tow package, and the mileage wasn't there for a small truck so I traded it for a full size.
The Hummer 3 is on a bigger platform than the Colorado I think it's on the same platform as the Trailblazer, but 6 cylinder is to big to fit in the snub nosed H3. The Atlas motors are impressive the 4 cylinder makes more power than the Ford Ranger 3.0 and makes more torque on the lower end, and the 6 cylinder makes V8 power. I wish Ford would put VVT in the mod motors really made a difference in my Colorado. After praising the Colorado and GM for their Atlas motor which is probably going to get killed off because of sales and expense to make. I still like my Ford way way way way better, just wish it had positrack and VVT like the Colorado.
The F150 5.4L has had VCT (Variable Cam Timing) since 2004 when they went 3V (same thing as VVT Variable Valve Timing).

Turbo's are much more efficient than superchargers. They make alot more power per pound of boost. A properly sized turbocharger will outpower a supercharger anyday. The newer versions have variable vane technology to spool up fast, then continue to make big power as the rpm's rise.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:33 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The problem is turbos take time to spool up. A roots style SC puts out power off idle through the rpm range.

I think it would suck to have to rev a truck engine to 5k rpm all the time just to get moving. A 4cyl or 6cyl F-150 wouldn't occupy my driveway.

After seeing all the TC problems with the 6.0l diesels, it makes me wonder if Ford can make a turbo actually last anymore.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf
The problem is turbos take time to spool up. A roots style SC puts out power off idle through the rpm range.

I think it would suck to have to rev a truck engine to 5k rpm all the time just to get moving. A 4cyl or 6cyl F-150 wouldn't occupy my driveway.

After seeing all the TC problems with the 6.0l diesels, it makes me wonder if Ford can make a turbo actually last anymore.
You know that ford does not actually make turbo chargers?

Old 08-02-2008, 07:56 PM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LxMan1
The F150 5.4L has had VCT (Variable Cam Timing) since 2004 when they went 3V (same thing as VVT Variable Valve Timing).

Turbo's are much more efficient than superchargers. They make alot more power per pound of boost. A properly sized turbocharger will outpower a supercharger anyday. The newer versions have variable vane technology to spool up fast, then continue to make big power as the rpm's rise.

TC's are not that much farther ahead of SC's, than You may think.

New SC technology have brought them right in line with the new gen of variable vain turbo's

Motor Authority Eaton working on new supercharger tech as demand grows

Roush uses this technology on it's 700 HP Mustang setup. Available for $5K at any Roush dealer

"The TVS2300 ROUSHcharger utilizes Eaton's new Twin Vortices Series
technology. The patented design on this supercharger system features a
four-lobe rotor and high-flow inlet which greatly enhances thermal
efficiency, higher volume capacity, and higher operational speeds."

Old 08-02-2008, 08:33 PM
WinterRoad
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fosters
There are rumors out there of an SVO 4 banger mustang too, making 300hp... that I would actually consider buying esp if they make the thing lighter.
Back in... hmmn...maybe? 1984??? my buddy had a 4 cyl. SVO Mustang. Nice, quick little car... faster than the 5.0 of the day... but hard to launch solid. Would have been a keeper except it, uh... sorta rolled "itself" one night.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Iversen-fords
Elder User
Originally Posted by V8EXPLR
But they did say to have the best of both worlds, instead of twin turbos, you should install both an S/C & Turbo. Captures both the bottom and top ends.
This is very true. In a mustang mag i buy every once in awhile they did this to a 04 cobra. They put a twin turbo set up on it and it made insane power. The motor was stock and i believe they pulled over a 1000Hp out of it, if i remember right, the SC basically compressed the turboed pressure even more and the Cobra was makin like 45 Psi.

Also if you didnt know old school diesels had a supercharger and a turbo on it. I just remember this from Trucks!

Old 08-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Those were old Detroit Diesel Two-Strokes. The way they were designed, the blower was necessary for them to run. The exhaust valves and the intake ports were open at the same time, and it was the blowers job to force the exhaust out, and bring in a new air charge. It didn't really build any boost.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:17 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Head
You know that ford does not actually make turbo chargers?
Yeah. But what makes you think the turbos they get made for them are going to last? I just don't like Fords track record with turbos, granted the 6.4l turbos seem to be lasting, but then again they havn't been out that long.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:57 PM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
The Turbo's were usually not the problem.

It was allmost always something else that caused the turbos to fail.

Usually, it was a crankcase fuel of fuel that did them in.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Wow...I love it how people like to compare a potential pickup truck motor to a sports car motor...

"I think it would suck to have to rev a truck engine to 5k rpm all the time just to get moving. A 4cyl or 6cyl F-150 wouldn't occupy my driveway."

FWIW....the truck I'm driving right now is a turbocharged 6 cylinder....and it makes peak torque at 1200 rpms...all 1650 lb-ft of it! And even though it only has 450 HP, it moves it's current 77,460 lbs around at highway speeds pretty well....

It ALL depends on the application, people! A turbo TRUCK motor is NOT going to need to rev that high to make power...unless it's a GM product, but that's another story...

Why don't you wait and see, rather than form completely baseless opinions based on nothing but guesses? A turbo V6, if done right, could probably blow the trusty ol' 5.4 out of the water....

Old 08-05-2008, 09:03 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
I don't think Ford will be making TRUCK motors....

Originally Posted by Crazy001
Wow...I love it how people like to compare a potential pickup truck motor to a sports car motor...

"I think it would suck to have to rev a truck engine to 5k rpm all the time just to get moving. A 4cyl or 6cyl F-150 wouldn't occupy my driveway."

FWIW....the truck I'm driving right now is a turbocharged 6 cylinder....and it makes peak torque at 1200 rpms...all 1650 lb-ft of it! And even though it only has 450 HP, it moves it's current 77,460 lbs around at highway speeds pretty well....

It ALL depends on the application, people! A turbo TRUCK motor is NOT going to need to rev that high to make power...unless it's a GM product, but that's another story...

Why don't you wait and see, rather than form completely baseless opinions based on nothing but guesses? A turbo V6, if done right, could probably blow the trusty ol' 5.4 out of the water....
Here is a listing of some common diesel truck motors:

Diesel Engine Specs

By the time an engine has 450 horsepower, it weighs OVER 3000 POUNDS. Somehow I don't think that an Ecotec engine is going to be in that kind of class.... Yes, a turbo V6 with about 400 cubic inches, weighing 2000 lbs, would probably blow a 5.4 out of the water, and only weigh about 4 times as much....

I don't think Ford has large displacement or industrial-strength construction in mind here.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Your comparing a low revving 852 cubic inch V12, mechanical injection two stroke diesel, that has had the same basic design since the 1930s to modern high speed, high pressure common rail piezo injected diesels?

Those old detroits, as well as other engines listed on that page are heavy duty engines (pickups are defined as light duty, even an F-350 Dually) built for maximum torque, at as low of an RPM as possible. Current pickup diesel engines are making 350-360HP at less then half the weight of those engines listed there.

The point he was trying to make is that many smaller motors need to wind way up to breath, because of their low displacement. With a properly setup turbo system, they don't need to wind up as high to get the same amount of air flowing through the engine, so you get more power at a lower RPM.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:23 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Lead Head
The point he was trying to make is that many smaller motors need to wind way up to breath, because of their low displacement. With a properly setup turbo system, they don't need to wind up as high to get the same amount of air flowing through the engine, so you get more power at a lower RPM.
I don't think a turbo 4 is gonna work in a big pickup. I remember the days of the 5 liter Mustang being sold side by side with the turbo 4 cylinder SVO, and there is no way I would have touched the latter with a 10-foot pole.

I can just imagine what will happen if they put a little turbo motor that needs premium gas in a pickup....it will have to survive being overloaded about double its payload, driving up a mountain pass in 100 degree temps, on 87 octane fuel. I just don't see that working out very well.

A turbo on the 3.5/3.7 V6 would certainly work better, but again, in real life, when stressed like it might be in a truck, I just don't see it holding up under abusive fleet-driver types....

George

Old 08-05-2008, 11:59 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
The engine will likely replace the outgoing V6, like it was mentioned before, in the reg cab, 2wd versions of the truck... 202hp and 260tq at a not so low end 3750rpm won't be hard to achieve with a turbo 4 popper. And with the new truck being lighter than the current one, it'll probably do better than the n/a 6. It's not meant to be their 11500lb towing engine; that's certain... it's meant for MPG - which it'll probably be doing a bit better than the aging sixxer it replaces.

Quick Reply: F150 with a 4-Banger?