Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Posting Guru

MAKO314 has a good reputation on FTE.MAKO314 has a good reputation on FTE.
dewater your wvo with glycerol!!!

I used the byproduct "glycerol" to dewater and drop the FFA level in some crappy oil that I picked up, it worked great. I used a 10% by volume mixture and processed it for 30 min let the glycerol settle for about 2 hours drained it and retested the wvo. there was no water and the titrate had come down 2 MLs. I then ran the process as usual and got about a 95% yeild with no soap . I figured you guys could use this info...
Old 07-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
HMMMM
Very Interesting
Old 07-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Senior User

Az.scarecrow is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKO314 View Post
I used the byproduct "glycerol" to dewater and drop the FFA level in some crappy oil that I picked up, it worked great. I used a 10% by volume mixture and processed it for 30 min let the glycerol settle for about 2 hours drained it and retested the wvo. there was no water and the titrate had come down 2 MLs. I then ran the process as usual and got about a 95% yeild with no soap . I figured you guys could use this info...
I heard something of this from another group. I also heard of some-one using the glyc. to break an emulsion. I have not tried either, but still interesting.
Autometer 3 pod pillar, AFE 6637 intake & 4" exhaust with muffler delete. DP Tuner from ITP - 40t+80e+140+drive-thru+high idle, JW Valve Body, HPX, OBAnni, CCV Bypass, Foil Delete, AIH Delete, & Ported Turbo Shroud.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:08 AM
Posting Guru

CheaperJeeper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKO314 View Post
Interesting. What was "crappy" about the oil besides the water? Dirty? Rancid? Thick?

84 Mercedes 300CD Turbo. Bone stock daily driver

86 F250 Super Cab 4x6 (dually), 7.3 Banks TURBO, SMF & ZF5-47, 4.10 gears, 3" Banks straight-pipe exhaust. Mileage unknown
Old 07-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
CJ

FFAs are a result of repeated heating to high temps possibly overheating.
The quality of oil you get from any source depends on how long it is used.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheaperJeeper View Post
Interesting. What was "crappy" about the oil besides the water? Dirty? Rancid? Thick?

it titrated at a 4.5 and was full of disolved water. this was an experimental process for me going on a whim and it actualy worked out great. I've even started keeping 10 or 15 gallons of fresh glycerol on hand just incase I have to do it again. it adds some time to the reaction but I got a much better quality and quantity of BD.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:51 PM
Senior User

firemediceric is starting off with a positive reputation.
You may want to check in on Info-pop with your results. I have read there of people having good results with this method for quite some time
Old 07-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Posting Guru

CheaperJeeper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
This is good info to pass on to my buddy who's set up and making bio now.

Anybody know what (if anything) can be done to rancid thick oil to make it useable? He's got nearly a whole drum of some really nasty smelling goopy stuff he's trying to figure out what to do with...

84 Mercedes 300CD Turbo. Bone stock daily driver

86 F250 Super Cab 4x6 (dually), 7.3 Banks TURBO, SMF & ZF5-47, 4.10 gears, 3" Banks straight-pipe exhaust. Mileage unknown
Old 07-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Posting Guru

AndysFords is starting off with a positive reputation.
I still can't figure out what to do with it. It won't react for anything, it gums everything up, and I'm way to scared to put it in my SVO running trucks, plus it won't make biodiesel.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

monsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputation
Just curious had you reclaimed the Methanol out of it before you did this or not? If not then I can see the methanol attaching to the water and pulling it out (just like the heet additive does in gas tanks)
I know when I run my glycerol back and reclaim the methanol I get about 5 gallons worth out of 30 gallons of glycerol so about 15%.

RIP Steve Bricks. FTE will not be the same.

Will be forever glad to have had the privilege to shake your hand and BS in person.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:13 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterbaby View Post
Just curious had you reclaimed the Methanol out of it before you did this or not? If not then I can see the methanol attaching to the water and pulling it out (just like the heet additive does in gas tanks)
I know when I run my glycerol back and reclaim the methanol I get about 5 gallons worth out of 30 gallons of glycerol so about 15%.
no the methanol had not been removed, I put the glycerol in at a temp of about 100* and added about 5 gallons into 40 gallons of oil.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:13 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
back, dewater, diesel, f250, glycerin, glycyrol, puting, wvo