Welcome to our new member- SillyValleyF250

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:46 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Welcome to our new member- SillyValleyF250

Hey Everyone,
I want to welcome our newest member SillyValleyF250 (Corey) to our chapter. He lives on the peninsula and has a rich Ford truck heritage. I am always happy when another bumpside owner joins the chapter.

Here is a little more information from Corey.

I live around La Honda, very close to the Portola Redwoods State Park. I'm a geek, working in Silicon Valley.

> What Ford truck(s) do you have or want to have or have had in the past?

I had a '79 F150 for a short time; a '97 F250 (F150 body style) for a few years; a 1986 F150 that never ran; a 1986 F350 that I never heard run (I think I still have title to that one... it's in Missouri, in a field... hmm...).

The '79 was an okay truck, until the tranny died. The '97 was alright,until I went to try to put spark plugs in it. That's when I decided I would never reward Ford by buying one of their newer trucks, or using their credit, or anything else. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I learned to hate the Windsor motors from the '86 F150. No reason it shouldn't have kicked right over; I put in a new cam, lifters, oil pump, etc., after it ate that stuff due to a tiny hole in the oil pickup screen that wedged the gerotors.

My grandpa had a few of the old bumpside trucks, and those have always been my favorites. He had a 1969 F350 low-boy with a flatbed for a while, and about a 1971 F150 Custom Sport with a bedside toolbox, and that's the one I remember from when I was a little kid.

I've been inspired by CarCrafter, and now want a bumpside shortbed to play with. I'll do his front-end swap, and do an IRS from a CrownVic. Then, I'll build a motor specifically to run on propane to put in it.I figure a 4.6 with the compression bumped up should do the trick, then get an MSD ignition box to read the crank trigger and control the ignition, and slap a propane carb on it and plug off the injector bungs... :-)

> Are you working on any projects?

At the moment, just trying to keep what I have running.

> Do you want to share any special automotive skills with the group?

I'm a jack of all trades, a master of none. I can do my own fab work, etc., if I had my tools here from Missouri...

I'm thinking of building a couple of hydraulic/hydrostatic dieseltrikes. :-)

> Any other information you want to share about you, your family, or your hobbies?

Nah... I'm just a nerd with too many ideas and not enough time or money.
I can relate to the problem of too many ideas and not enough time or money. Anyway, welcome Corey. I hope to see you on the forums and at one of our get-togethers some time. We are having one tomorrow in Sac and encourage you and everyone to attend it, even if you don't bring your Ford truck. Look at Big Earl's post for more information.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...12-00-p-m.html
Welcome aboard,
Karl

Old 07-12-2008, 12:48 AM
SillyValleyF250
Junior User
Thank you kindly, sir. I doubt I'll be able to make the G2G, as I'll be going the other way tomorrow...

But the welcome is much appreciated. I hope to be an active member here, and maybe find some shop space to hack in meat-space. :-)

--Corey

Old 07-12-2008, 07:56 AM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
big Bumpside- norcal welcome sirrr!
I have IFS/IRS FROM A 93 Cougar(thanx Mike) for my 67. I figure, for all the cost of just slapping on a disc from another truck, I could get disc, power steering, smoother ride, and dual sway bars with this Cougar setup. I have to get a few parts to make it work, and fab up the uppper control arm mounts, & spring & shock mounts. I'm also going with hydrobooost. Might as well have great brakes, instead of good ones...which beats the drums it has now.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Welcome to the family Corey, I am sure you will fit in nicely here.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:31 PM
th1567
Senior User
Welcome, welcome indeed. Sounds like you interests are quite varied...hydrostatic diesel trykes...sounds like it from Death Race 2000 or some such sci-fi...beautiful...that is something I'd love to see in operation.

TH1567
The sunsetting on your left arm as you head home in your Ford, now that's where piece of mind comes from.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:52 PM
SillyValleyF250
Junior User
A tip of the hat to ya...

Originally Posted by nevrenufhp
big Bumpside- norcal welcome sirrr!
Whahh thankee. (That's my Missouri accent there... I'm a recent transplant.)

Originally Posted by nevrenufhp
I'm also going with hydrobooost. Might as well have great brakes, instead of good ones...which beats the drums it has now.
I think I'll end up with that on my Ferd, too. Having had 'em on a Cummins Ram, I gotta say they really could haul a big heavy boat of a truck down to a halt in a hurry.

Currently, I'm looking into an 11:1 or so propane-powered 429 to put in place of the ridiculous gas-pig 360 choker motor (why, oh why did Ford sink those pistons that far down the bore?!?!)

I've thought about building out the 360 with a set of Pontiac rods, destroking the crank a few thousandths while turning the .25" or so off the crank pins, to zero-deck the 360 piston. One of these days, maybe. I think a turbo'ed 360 might just make sweet music. Maybe I'll save out the 360 from the F250 and do that, for a shorty with the neat-o-keen suspension...

Old 07-15-2008, 11:07 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Keep your cubes, deck the block and run flat tops.

I'm kinda lost where you're going with this..

"I've thought about building out the 360 with a set of Pontiac rods, destroking the crank a few thousandths while turning the .25" or so off the crank pins, to zero-deck the 360 piston. One of these days, maybe. I think a turbo'ed 360 might just make sweet music. Maybe I'll save out the 360 from the F250 and do that, for a shorty with the neat-o-keen suspension..."

You're talking about de stroking? then an offsett grind on the crank?

Old 07-15-2008, 11:41 PM
SillyValleyF250
Junior User
That extra few thousandths has to go *somewhere* :-)

Originally Posted by 3Mike6
Keep your cubes, deck the block and run flat tops.
I don't know if you can deck a 360 that deep.

Originally Posted by 3Mike6
You're talking about de stroking? then an offsett grind on the crank?
Pontiac rods are *almost* the right length to long-rod a 360 using stock (or maybe it was the shorter 390 pistons... have to re-figure that when I get time...) I'll have to destroke a few (and only a few) thousandths to keep the pistons from smashing into the heads. The big ends of the Poncho rods will have to be milled a little to fit on the narrow FE journals. Have to take a look at the little ends sometime... Hell, I don't even know if the Pontiac rods have a wristpin bore big enough to fit the FE pin.

But it sure sounds like fun. And hey, who the heck ever built a 360FE?

--Silly

Old 07-16-2008, 12:14 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
No issues to be different, that's for sure...but seems to me (IMHO) that's a lot of extra money spent, for no gain...what kind of engine are you trying to build for?

i/e hotrod, gas milage/etc?

You can deck any block as much as you want...heck, you could take an inch off if you wanted too...assuming the castings for head gaskets mated up...if not, cut your own out of copper...ofcourse I'm not speaking in practical terms...just staing what can be done....along with a bit of Valley milling and intake milling, spacers for a Dizzy....

From what I gather (not being a Raised On Ford Guy), the 390 is about the best FE bang for the buck in all around applications, unitl you get real serious and either have lots of money to get into the bigger FE cubes, or start a stroking project (which usually get's involved with the 390).

Just to keep things straight, and I certainly don't want to try to squash your dream engine and all...but stroking or destroking "a few thousandths" by offsett grings a crank (only reall way to do it "just a bit") is mopre money spent for no real return...and certainly isn't the way to go to get the quench right...just run flatops, deck the block, figure your compressed head gasket numbers...valves reliefs for compression/etc, and go from there...now thing is...could be there isn't a 360 piston that comes close to what you need (PS...I've seen the dishes cut in the 460 and 390 pistons......but flat top with valve reliefs should do the trick) so I could see the thought of trying to turn the wheel the other way to get where you need to be...but all said and done, once you did it, you'd astill be 30-ish cubes shy of a 390.

Now also, your use of longer rods though is a good thing, they (longer rods) keep the dwell at TDC longer, in theory, it allows a better burn and you can run more advance, henace pick up power in the ignition...but...all that's needed 9assuming Journal size is the same) would be to raise the wristpin location (like 383 Chevy striokers) which sets the bottom ring land in the wrist pin hole...no biggy...it's only there to controll a little oil.

Sorry for the long type, just think hard before you step into it.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:00 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SillyValleyF250, a belated welcome.
You'll enjoy our little gang here.

Originally Posted by th1567
...hydrostatic diesel trykes...sounds like it from Death Race 2000 or some such sci-fi...beautiful...that is something I'd love to see in operation
Saw part of Death Race 2000 being filmed when I lived in the desert. Interesting.