1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brush Guard/Plow Frame

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 12:49 PM
sofdchief
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brush Guard/Plow Frame

Ok folks, I have a question for everyone. I've been looking for a brush guard to put on my '06 F250SD CC FX4. The problem being, I plow with it in the winter time. I've done a bit of searching, and have yet to find a brush guard designed to "clip" on via an existing plow frame. Now, keep in mind, this is a new Boss 'V' plow, not the old style with the entire lift arm, cylinder and everything mounted on the truck....just the sub-frame under the bumper. Has anybody seen something like this? Any idea if anyone out there makes one?

I'm just looking for an easier way to be able to mount/dis-mount the brush guard each season....seems like something someone would have thought of by now....

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/answers!

Old 07-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most of the brush guards use the 4 bolts that hold the stock bumper on. You remove the top 2 I think and loosen the bottom to and slide it over them. Then re-install the top ones. It only takes a few minutes if you have a couple of buddies to help. I would think you could do that every spring/fall if you really want one.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:38 PM
sofdchief
Senior User
I have been considering this option, but I was curious to see if anyone has ever seen a "plow-mount" option for one of these. Seems like it would be a good idea, especially for those folks in the northeast, and other snow-filled areas of the country.

Anybody else??

Old 07-13-2008, 12:05 AM
mnpowerstroke99duty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree it would be nice to be able to hook it to the plow frame and pull a couple of pins to remove/install it.I have to unbolt mine to put my plow on.Its too much work to do every time it snows so I have to leave it off all winter.It bolts on the four bumper bolts.It would be nice if there was a brush guard that you wouldn't have to remove when the plow is on.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:31 AM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sofdchief
I have been considering this option, but I was curious to see if anyone has ever seen a "plow-mount" option for one of these. Seems like it would be a good idea, especially for those folks in the northeast, and other snow-filled areas of the country.

Anybody else??
Sounds like you've got a good idea there. You should make up a prototype and see how it works. Who knows, you might end up making some money off of it

Old 07-13-2008, 04:28 AM
ken kenmnedy
Posting Guru
I have a westen brush gaurd and a western pro plow and the brush gaurd stays on all year long.its an ultra mount plow so it goes on with two levers and two plugs and the brush gaurd stays on the truck, it does attach like beerstalker says so if I had one of those big a$$ V blades 4 bolts and the gaurd comes off.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:24 AM
KSCRUDE
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I also have the ultra mount western. It doesn't look like mutch room for brush guard when i put plow on thought. Post picture and where do u get western guard? Thanks

Old 07-13-2008, 08:47 PM
ken kenmnedy
Posting Guru
not western, westen and my junk computer wont take my camera software but I will try to use my buddys to post my gallery. and the gaurd raps around the head lights and dosnt touch when full hydraturn lift

Old 07-13-2008, 09:04 PM
pbeering
Elder User
Find the brush guard you want, then surf to www.jerres.com. Contact him, he will be able to make it work, and a pilgrimmage to Erie might be a useful thing. Tell him I sent you. He is probably the most knowlegable guy in the snow plow business.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:08 AM
miker67
Elder User
Have you tried a guard to see if it will work with the new plow style? You might get lucky and it have it fit with a stock guard just fine. On the other had, it can't be that hard to make one that would fit onto your mounting setup. You might just have to get a normal one, then take it to a fab shop where they can make/modify the center section.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:40 AM
sofdchief
Senior User
I've been looking at a number of different styles for the last couple of weeks, just haven't made a final decision yet. I was looking at a Westin until our new light rescue came in at the Fire Department. Not sure if its the brush guard itsself, or if it's the '08 F350....but let me tell you, the brush guard sits AT LEAST 9"-10" in front of the grille/head lights. I'm not too keen on that my self. I'm going to try and take a closer look at it here in the next couple of days, but i'm not too sure what the deal is.

I am definitely considering doing a little "fab" work myself to make this work, just not too sure if i trust my welding work! Being that i learned to weld on the farm with a stick only....my welds are usually functional, not necessarily pretty!

Old 07-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Brush guards on the 2008 trucks have to sit a lot further forward because the grill is attached to the hood and raises with it. If the brush guard wasn't spaced out that far the grill would hit it.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:30 PM
sofdchief
Senior User
Beerstalker- VERY good point! I should've known that, but it never even crossed my mind! That definitely explains the forward off set.
Thanks for the info!

Old 07-15-2008, 04:15 PM
ken kenmnedy
Posting Guru
mines 1 inch off the grill and less than an inch where it raps around the head lights at the ends

Old 07-19-2008, 07:39 AM
jonsk
Senior User
My brother, a welder, copied his diconnected part of his plow frame and welded up a couple different mounts that slide right into his fisher plow frame that is always connected to his truck. one of the mounts is for his 10000lb winch and the other is for a brush guard that he retro fitted to the mount. Both work real well and look pretty good as well. I will try to get pics for you.

Quick Reply: Brush Guard/Plow Frame