2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Battery system

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 12:22 AM
JoSHN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual Battery system

Does anyone make a dual battery system (tray, and wiring basically) for the 04-08's? I just picked up my 08 about 2 days ago, and I want to add a few things. I know most things can easily be used off of one battery, but I want to add a winch, and some lights, and...it's just handy to have an extra battery available.
I know I will need to upgrade the alternator, and I'm not sure if I saw that Ford had this option or not.
So...does anybody know if a kit is made or of a better way for me to go about this?

Old 07-12-2008, 10:11 PM
shemp68
Freshman User
buy a f250diesel factory installed

Old 07-12-2008, 10:19 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
I have a second battery in my 06. I tig welded up a nice aluminum battery bracket that mounts on the drivers side inner fender. You will have to move the air intake a little to make it work right. I am running 2 group 65 1000 CCA batteries. You alternator will be fine no need to upgrade it yet.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:46 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
hey gashog..... i was looking at your gallery, and im wondering about your coolant filter... how often do you change it, and how much is it helping your system? do you have a problem venting the air when you change it? im just curious about this add on thats all. thanks......

Old 07-13-2008, 02:11 AM
JoSHN
Senior User
Originally Posted by shemp68
buy a f250diesel factory installed
I traded in my 93 F-250 diesel for my 08 F-150.
If I could have afforded the diesel, trust me, I would have gotten it.

And Gashog...I assume you have pictures of this.
I shall go check.
And thanks for the info.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:22 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by mattd17
hey gashog..... i was looking at your gallery, and im wondering about your coolant filter... how often do you change it, and how much is it helping your system? do you have a problem venting the air when you change it? im just curious about this add on thats all. thanks......

The system removed over 2 lbs of left over sand and crap that was in the system from factory. The kit is part # 4019 from napa and the filter is # 1070. I change it when ever the filter starts plugging which has been a while. I am on my fifth filter so far. I made the brack for it and bolted it to the power steering bracket. I also used silicone heater hoses for long term service. The filter is run inline of the heater hoses it's the most effective way of filtering. Some members hook them up to the coolant tank line which is not effective.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:06 AM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
The system removed over 2 lbs of left over sand and crap that was in the system from factory. The kit is part # 4019 from napa and the filter is # 1070. I change it when ever the filter starts plugging which has been a while. I am on my fifth filter so far. I made the brack for it and bolted it to the power steering bracket. I also used silicone heater hoses for long term service. The filter is run inline of the heater hoses it's the most effective way of filtering. Some members hook them up to the coolant tank line which is not effective.

how do you know when your filter is plugged? what indications do you get?

Old 07-13-2008, 09:02 AM
FatalErrorz
Senior User
Originally Posted by JoSHN
Does anyone make a dual battery system (tray, and wiring basically) for the 04-08's? I just picked up my 08 about 2 days ago, and I want to add a few things. I know most things can easily be used off of one battery, but I want to add a winch, and some lights, and...it's just handy to have an extra battery available.
I know I will need to upgrade the alternator, and I'm not sure if I saw that Ford had this option or not.
So...does anybody know if a kit is made or of a better way for me to go about this?
So are you going to isolate the circuits for your winch, lights, stereo, etc to run off the other battery? Shall I assume it's going to be a deep-cycle battery, like an RV would use for the coach batteries? I guess I'm saying if you're not going to split your system, what's the point of having 2 batteries unless you really like putting a load on your alternator? Just buy a bigger battery. The F-250's use the RV setup if you choose that option. The F250 is set up to sit on a worksite, in the rain, with the interior lights on, stereo on, whoopee lights, etc for hours at a time until the deep cycle battery dies. Then it starts because the other battery is used for starting and keeping the PCM, and other things powered. Then, once started, both alternators will go to work on the deep cycle battery, and recharge it (around 300 amps) with a trickle going to the chassis battery as needed.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:57 AM
JoSHN
Senior User
I know how the systems work. And Yes, I planned on doing that.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:41 PM
FatalErrorz
Senior User
I know how the systems work. And Yes, I planned on doing that.
Well, I've been a mechanic for 24 years, so let me give you a clue...You're not going to split that system with the current PCM, fuse block, and looms that came with your truck. You can get it custom made to work, but you might as well spend the money on an F-250. Regardless, without a switching device, or a 2nd alternator, if one of your batteries is low, and the alternator starts charging, the power will be split between the low battery, and the good battery. You'll kill the good battery by overcharging it while charging the deep cycle. But, I'm sure you knew that too...

However, you were only asking for an extra battery, and not the correct system for the application. Therefore, if you simply put a 2nd battery in there, it's not going to do anything unless you have a need for 24-volts, a shiitload of amperage for starting something, or both 24v, and a lot of amps. A winch isn't going to need it, let alone a light bar.

Have fun with it...

Old 07-13-2008, 02:10 PM
JoSHN
Senior User
Easy with the hostility there.
It was a simple question.

And, the main reason i had asked the question was to see if this was possible.
I know all about switching devices, and how the whole system works.

I did not know about the issue with the PCM or the rest of the other problems I might run in to.
This is why I asked the question.

I just never figured that the one little battery that came with the truck, could easily run a 12,500lb winch without draining itself to nothing.

If I replaced the one battery with a single deep cycle, would that work for what i am looking for?

Old 07-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Deep cycles are not good for starting big engines, or running high amp draws like winches.

You will want two batteries in parallel. Yes it will drain both, but your over all capacity will be much higher. That is why diesels have them, their starters are bigger, and they do not like the cold, so they will be drawing more amps for a longer amount of time. Just like a winch will.

If you worried about killing your battery set up, just just hook up a high amperage relay between your 2nd battery and the main one, and put the switch for it on your dash. So when you start your truck, just flick the switch on your dash to engage the relay, and start charging your second battery. Doing this will NOT cook your "charged" battery. The alternator's regulator is set to keep the voltage at 14.4 volts at all times. When you engage the relay, the battery will just appear to the alternator as another item using power, and it will compensate accordingly to keep the voltage at 14.4.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:01 PM
FatalErrorz
Senior User
Originally Posted by Lead Head
Deep cycles are not good for starting big engines, or running high amp draws like winches.

You will want two batteries in parallel. Yes it will drain both, but your over all capacity will be much higher. That is why diesels have them, their starters are bigger, and they do not like the cold, so they will be drawing more amps for a longer amount of time. Just like a winch will.

If you worried about killing your battery set up, just just hook up a high amperage relay between your 2nd battery and the main one, and put the switch for it on your dash. So when you start your truck, just flick the switch on your dash to engage the relay, and start charging your second battery. Doing this will NOT cook your "charged" battery. The alternator's regulator is set to keep the voltage at 14.4 volts at all times. When you engage the relay, the battery will just appear to the alternator as another item using power, and it will compensate accordingly to keep the voltage at 14.4.
Hmmm...I guess that's where the switching device I mentioned would come into play? They make some automatic ones that sense battery voltages/charge states, but you'll still have some wiring issues. Simply putting one on the dash would work if the PCM didn't try to control everything. If it's bypassed, and any electrical issues occured, you could rest assured that the dealer would void the warranty immediately.

P.S. Deep cycle batteries are very good for starting engines, and for extended amperage draws. That's why they use them in golf carts, (usually 6V) albeit a whole bunch of them hooked in series parallel usually. Some carts use 12v, so there's only 2 batteries. However, a car/truck alternator won't do very good at recharging them unless there's 2 alternators.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:10 PM
FatalErrorz
Senior User
Easy with the hostility there.
It was a simple question.

And, the main reason i had asked the question was to see if this was possible.
I know all about switching devices, and how the whole system works.

I did not know about the issue with the PCM or the rest of the other problems I might run in to.
This is why I asked the question.

I just never figured that the one little battery that came with the truck, could easily run a 12,500lb winch without draining itself to nothing.

If I replaced the one battery with a single deep cycle, would that work for what i am looking for?
Actually, I got a sense of hostility from your curt reply to my post....However, I don't have an idea of what you're trying to accomplish with the second battery. If you have a 100amp alternator on your truck, simply buy a bigger (35 series) battery, and leave the engine running when you're operating the winch. Find something along the lines of 700cca, with 120 minutes of reserve. The stock battery in a 2008 F150, while biggish, is only 540cca, with (I BELIEVE, but may be wrong) 180 minute reserve. What amperage does the winch pull? Are you going to be using it constantly, like for winching trees up a hill at full payout, or for pulling yourself out if you get stuck?

Another option is to purchase a deep cycle battery, mount it WITH the winch, and use a charger on it before you go out...You could also use an inverter plugged into your cigarette lighter, or wired into your charging system for occassional use to charge the deep cycle (Marine) battery...

I'd like to give you some options, but I don't know what you're using it for.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:57 PM
JoSHN
Senior User
The winch is a Warn PowerPlantHD
These are the specs.
12V DC Performance Data:
Load (lbs.) Current (amps) Speed (fpm)
12,000 365.1 4.2
10,000 318.5 4.9
8,000 276.2 5.8
6,000 230.8 7.0
4,000 182.8 8.6
2 140.2 11.3
0 79.2 16.2

And I do a lot with it.
From pulling out stuck mud trucks, to pulling dead vehicles onto trailers, to lifting 30ft high walls while framing.
Plus it has an air compressor on the winch as well.