Opti's crack at a larger TB and intake porting

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:39 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Opti's crack at a larger TB and intake porting

Progress is slow as i dont have much time at work, but i am making some. i have some comparasion pics and what work i did so far. i also bought an intake gasket set which has the upper-lower and lower-head gaskets so i can port them out. im using just my trusty dremel and three different style carbide cutting bits

onto the pics!
comparasion between the two TBs:

the difference between and problem areas of the two TBs:

needs to go...

inside the V8 TB, remove it and the 4.9 TPS should work like a charm...

linkage comparasion...

my finger points to where the ball needs to go for the 4.9 throttle cable...

my solution, only had brazing rods so i used that with a roll pin...

Progress pics:

Old 07-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Harte3
Postmaster
So, you are port matching the manifold to the TBI?

Old 07-09-2008, 10:02 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
yes, than taper it off...

Old 07-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Looks pretty decent. Porting with a Dremel is fun- I did the head on my old 300-6 with one. Took me two hours per port! At least the intake is aluminum, so it's a little easier to work with.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:57 AM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have the two right in front of me, and pictures are only 2D so I can't tell from them, but if I remember correctly you can just swap the linkage from the 4.9 onto the V8 TB. That's what I was planning on trying anyway.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:08 AM
5.0Torx
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is that a TB off a 302 or 351?

Old 07-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Motorhead351
Posting Guru
302 / 351 and 460 have the same bore size if I remember right.

question would be, is it a 302/351 or 460 throttle body, as their are distinct physical differences, read, the 302/351 is easier to adapt to the 4.9 intake, relatively speaking.

Whats the benefit of tapering the intake TB opening vs opening it up equally the length of the hole?

Feel free to send me that piece of crap 4.9 throttle body you wont be needing.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Motorhead351
Whats the benefit of tapering the intake TB opening vs opening it up equally the length of the hole?
Tapering it doesn't open up any nasty and unwanted auxiliary idle air ports in the intake. It isn't very thick in a few places and you can easily go all the way through.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Motorhead351
Posting Guru
How will the TB flow more air, if the intake opening tapers down to the stock size, or is it still larger than stock despite the taper...think I missed that.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Even if the holes in the intake are the same size as the stock TB, they will still flow more because they don't have the throttle shaft going across them. You can open up the intake a little bit, just not quite as big as the larger TB. I think on mine it's almost the size of the TB in all but one or two places.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Motorhead351
Posting Guru
No throttle shaft?

Only thing I see happening is much like port work on a cylinder head, you encourage air to flow and it will flow better through the same intake opening/lift, this case its the intake opening or smallest opening in the flow of air, suppose how much betta is the question.

I spent some time checkin out my intake over the past week too.....must be modification fever in the air.

Optikal Illusion

Your gonna have to find a steep hill and do a few before and after timed runs. You better soak that intake and get that crap out of it...youll unlock a buncha CFM potential right there....mine looks just like that....its so bad I can use the carbon build up as a guide to match the upper and lower.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:02 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
i plan to use some degreaser and the car wash (i have a pressure washer but why make the mess at my house? heh).

im am going to taper it down for two reasons: 1) as S/S said. someone successfully did open up the whole intake but...2) i dont have anything that can reach the inside of the intake past 2-3 inches.

i did some work on the opposite end, thought i was gunna gasket match but i was wrong. i did find a very interesting suprise after i took a good look...pics to follow sometime tonight!

also, i thought of the taper to kinda funnel the air and increase volecity once it reaches the smaller part of the intake...after thought of course

Old 07-10-2008, 11:11 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
ok, fresh pics...

what i did today:

huge mismatch...

hmm, what are we gunna do here? as it turns out the castings gets a little thin so i decided not to gasket match it.

but i did find this cute little bugger, a ridge of some sort on all 6 runners...

so this was my fix, clean that up to make a smooth transistion...

Old 07-11-2008, 05:32 AM
Motorhead351
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by optikal illushun

also, i thought of the taper to kinda funnel the air and increase volecity once it reaches the smaller part of the intake...after thought of course

Actually, whether intentional or accidental, I think what your doing is a good idea....happy accident. If it does increase velocity, its a win. if it doesnt do chit but allows a little more cfm by, based on the unknown to the benefits of the larger TB, then error on the lesser side is a good thing.

Ever try castrol super clean? It really works and its earth friendly. I let a pair of cylinder heads soak in it once...normally used it for small parts clean up...it worked very well.

That intake is way off hugh or maybe the gasket? One or the other was definitely made on a monday or friday.

Dont know about you but after seeing all that crap in my intake, I thought about replacing the pcv with a filter, mine looks just as bad and my egr valve had been non functional since 30k miles.

Feel free to donate your 4.9TB to my dual TB project...

Old 07-13-2008, 09:45 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
well i have pics but i wont upload em till i get more progress as i didnt work on it just looked the lower over. the lower has the same ridge and casting flaw as the upper but the ports arent as mis-matched. for the lower-head, i dont think ill port any of that out, as it gets thing after the first 1/2" where the bolts mount it to the head.

Quick Reply: Opti's crack at a larger TB and intake porting