1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Thermostat Removal -1994 1/2

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 05:37 PM
PeeVee
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thermostat Removal -1994 1/2

I've just broken off all three micro-bolts. This was after a month or so of treatment with WD-40. These are ridiculously undersized for the job.
Anyway, I'm now into deeper water - remove the water pump to drill and tap out the holes? Any other surprises here? I presume if I loosen the fan shroud it'll come out on top?
Any help and advice much appreciated.

Peter

Old 07-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by PeeVee
I've just broken off all three micro-bolts. This was after a month or so of treatment with WD-40. These are ridiculously undersized for the job.
Anyway, I'm now into deeper water - remove the water pump to drill and tap out the holes? Any other surprises here? I presume if I loosen the fan shroud it'll come out on top?
Any help and advice much appreciated.

Peter
You may want to consider a new water pump ,,,also .....It depends on how much of the threads are sticking up...may be able to weld a nut on to the remaining bolts...the heat from welding will help....

Old 07-09-2008, 06:36 PM
PeeVee
Senior User
Thermostat

Water pump's fine, Rick. One thing at a time. I believe I can fix the holes once the pump's out. I found Jim Kidd's comprehensive instructions for water pump removal posted three years ago. I need the special fan clutch pulley holder tool then I think I can do it.

Thanks

Peter

Old 07-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
If you are up to it ,Fine ,,,

drilling & tapping ,is not an exact science...

Old 07-09-2008, 07:28 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PeeVee
I need the special fan clutch pulley holder tool then I think I can do it.
Check with your local auto parts stores for the wrench set. Most of them have loaner tools. You pay the cost of the tool (in case you don't bring it back) then use the tool (usually no time limit) and when you return it they give you your money back.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:28 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would just get a new pump as well. The only time I would is if the pump was less than 6 month old. Usually the o-ring gaskets gets nasty and mis-shapen. The chances of leaks are very great as well as a pain to drill and tap three little bolts out. I have done the rear most bolt with the pump in but if all three broke and the pump was coming out I would get a new one.

To get the pump out yes you will need to remove the fan and clutch, then you can remove one of the idler pulleys and probably get the pump out without removing the fan shroud.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:21 PM
PeeVee
Senior User
Water Pump removal

I'll look around for renting the tool set. Maybe I can weld nuts on the underside when I get it off. At least I can get heat to that part then. Good suggestions all. Thanks.

Peter