Does $5.00/Gal Diesel Mean the End of Cheap Biodiesel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:04 AM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Does $5.00/Gal Diesel Mean the End of Cheap Biodiesel?

Used grease turns into liquid gold, attracting thieves - KTKA.com

The boom in fuel prices has caused the value of used cooking oil as a biodiesel ingredient to rise. Restaurants are now selling the used oil to collection companies instead of paying to have it hauled off. So it is now a profit center for the restaurant. Theives are now targeting waste oil containers and stealing the used oil to either make their own fuel or sell to the processors.

Anybody here see their supply of free oil dry up?

Old 07-09-2008, 10:25 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
it is starting to. i talked to 2 places this week, and they both had the same story.

they are getting $.45/gallon, but asked if I could do better.

as soon as they open a drop off for the public, I am sure it will start getting stolen as well. copper is the big one now, but most places are requiring ID now, so there may be a slow down on that.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:20 PM
TigerAnn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have seen the price of wvo go up. Last year I was paying $1.25/gallon. and Now I am paying $2.50/gallon. And you are right, once the price hits $3.00 for fuel.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:42 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think that the boom in used cooking grease will actually subside once "we" start getting more and more biodiesel made available commercially(which makes a major leap next year in what is min. biodiesel to be used here goes up and will continue to be making leaps til 2012 I believe is when the min. starts to flatline).

Old 07-21-2008, 10:29 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i definitely think WVO is getting harder to get. especially once the restaurant owner or chiefs find out you are using it for fuel then they most likely think you owe them something even though they used to pay to get it taken away and you are saving them money. true story haha

Old 07-22-2008, 09:02 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by adambomb
i definitely think WVO is getting harder to get. especially once the restaurant owner or chiefs find out you are using it for fuel then they most likely think you owe them something even though they used to pay to get it taken away and you are saving them money. true story haha

i have some across this quite a few times. I am always honest with the owners and tell them exactly what I want it for. Most don't care, but every now and then I get those.