My processor

Old 06-15-2008, 05:18 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My processor

I finally got some pics of my BD processor and other equipment. See the link in the album description for how the processor works and also see pic descriptions for info on whats in the pictures.
BioDiesel Processor and Equipment pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

Its based on this system
GL's Eco-System state diagram

So far (200 gallons) my truck like this fuel and the processor works well except my Grundfos pump has died this week. But so far I have some fine tuning to do once I decide what to do. The filtering of finished fuel is the biggest bottle neck my set up. I am contemplating a centrifuge to help with that.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:11 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dang Tim. That rig almost looks store bought. Nice work

Old 06-16-2008, 06:04 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Thanks Scott. I figured its worth building once its worth building right! I can't wait to get it into a permanent location so I can wire it how I want and get it set. Right now its in my dads shop since I have no idea where I will be living in the near future.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:18 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Man, my members are the greatest. =)

Old 07-06-2008, 02:45 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
i owe u a beer! good dart!

Old 07-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
more pics to look at and forward to my partner, thanks.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:23 PM
Knotwild
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TJ: Are you drywashing with Magnesol? Just curious as you mentioned filtering the final product. I am using Magnesol and I am using filter bags (5 and 1 micron) in combination with canister filters. In fact I am using a 1 micron absolute filter before it goes in the truck tank. No bottle neck at all. If you are using Magnesol, check out Fryerpower.com for info and filters. Of course, the best thing about a Dieselcraft centrifuge is that it would cut down on buying filters. I also use vacum and pressure from an air compressor to move my fuel around.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:01 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

I am recovering Methanol from the processed fuel then settling the soaps outs like the GL1 system. It works well I just would like to settle for a day or two then run thru a centrifuge which should be arriving this week. Right now I am settling then once the fuel clears (a week or so of settling) I run thru a 1 micron bag filter into my fueling barrel. if I don't let it settle enough I instantly clog the bag filters. I am still going to have to bag filter pre-centrifuge but not nearly as fine. I keep kicking around the resin tower ideas as well.

If I could get my supply of oil bigger it would help alot. Right now I process and use just as soon as I possibly can. I had to fuel at the gas station this weekend for the first time in 2 months. That wasn't fun!!

Old 07-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Knotwild
Tuned
Thanks TJ. I want to recover methanol, but just don't have time to build a venturi now. Like you, I am processing every drop of oil as soon as I get it to stay away from the stations. That is why I use Magnesol.

Most people use pumps to circulate the Magnesol, and it grinds it down in size until it is hard to filter. I move mine around with vacum and pressure, so the Magnesol stays at a larger, more easy to filter, size. Once I aereate away the methanol, it only takes about two hours to filter it (I run it through bag and canister filters twice before it goes through canister filters on the way to the truck) and I have fuel ready for the truck.

How did you build the venturi for your processor or where did you buy it?

Thanks

Old 07-08-2008, 08:59 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

I built mine from copper fittings. Its not pretty but it works well. It will suck up my methodoxide from the floor to about 5 1/2 feet where the venturi is. Here is an article that I used to build it
vegetableoildiesel.co.uk - Easy 15 minute venturi for GL processor - Powered by XMB

the sizes are metric but 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 copper works too

Old 07-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Knotwild
Tuned
Thanks TJ, I have not seen those plans before and I might as well recover the methanol. By the way, the guy who built my processor had a simple "tower" with it for Amberlite. But for me, it takes too long to run the fuel through at the manufacturers recommended rate. So, I quit with it and went to the Magnesol. After reading your post, I think I am going to order a centrifuge also to put a final polish on my fuel.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:36 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

My centrifuge (spinner II) and pump came today but I won't have a chance to get it rigged until at least Thursday night. Its still a costly setup even though every thing is used. I paid $250 for centrifuge and $100 for the pump and motor. Then I will have some plumbing to pay for as well but not too bad. Still kicking around my barrel setups right now. I have two settling barrels so I am think of making on my centrifuge barrel but at the same time I don't want to loose the option of settling 100 gallons of fuel at the same time. I am also trying to decide whether the spin the WVO before processing. If I can dewater and drop the titration some it might be worth it.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:40 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 683 Likes on 396 Posts
tjbeggs
Tim, where did you get your centrifuge and pump at. I`m shopping now and all ideas are welcome

Hanklin

Old 07-22-2008, 08:16 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

I got them both off ebay used. The centrifuge works well. The pump that I bought (carbonator vane pump) wasn't any good but I still had the motor to work with so I bought another pump from Grainger. I wish I had just bought a carbonator mount gear pump though. I will try to get some pictures of the setup in the next few days. It takes alot of junk out the oil that for sure.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Knotwild
Tuned
Centrifuge

Tim:
How much gunk can your centrifuge hold before you have to clean it out? Most appear to be pretty small.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My processor