1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Manual Pump Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:50 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Manual Pump Bypass

I have never owned a Powerstroke before, just IDI engines and on all my trucks I always bypassed the manual fuel pump and installed an electric pump, can this be done on a Powerstroke? I have had to install pumps on Powerstrokes before and its not easy, I'm not going to do anything until it goes out but I would like to know before I go to swapping it. I would prefer to do away with it.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:59 AM
joe_13894
Posting Guru
There are two mechanical pumps.

The first is a diaphragm lift pump that pumps the fuel from the tank and puts it in the filter housing. There is a return orifice that returns fuel to the tank from the filter housing to purge air. Pressure is regulated by the diaphragm.

The second pump is a piston pump that draws from the filter and sends it to the heads. There is a pressure regulator that returns excess fuel to the filter housing.

I don't know anyone who's done it, but I don't see why it couldn't be re plumbed with one pump and setup to return from the fuel pressure regulator directly back to the tank.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:29 AM
westcoastslider
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could also bypass them both and get a pump strong enough to get it to the 75psi it wants.

Search for the electric pump mod.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:16 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
There is only one mechanical pump that I know of. It lives in the engine valley. It is a 2 stage pump.....lift and pressure.

A regulated return fuel system is what you are looking for and can get pretty pricey.
Look here:
I

Old 07-09-2008, 07:58 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jim is right. You can't add a E pump to the stock system cause the fuel filter housing won't take the 70 PSI. You can rework the whole fuel system with a pump, regulator and pre and post pump filters but its either all or nothing.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:09 PM
joe_13894
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Cuda_jim
There is only one mechanical pump that I know of. It lives in the engine valley. It is a 2 stage pump.....lift and pressure.
Sorry, I was less than specific. Yes, they are in the same housing.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
Jim is right. You can't add a E pump to the stock system cause the fuel filter housing won't take the 70 PSI. You can rework the whole fuel system with a pump, regulator and pre and post pump filters but its either all or nothing.
I've been thinking about this for some time. Could you not use a low pressure electric lift pump to the filter then 70 PSI electric pump to the heads?

Something like this ... sell.com classifieds : Low Pressure Electric Fuel Pump gas,diesel, marine for sale (23JR6T)

Old 07-10-2008, 02:29 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hussler
I've been thinking about this for some time. Could you not use a low pressure electric lift pump to the filter then 70 PSI electric pump to the heads?

Something like this ... sell.com classifieds : Low Pressure Electric Fuel Pump gas,diesel, marine for sale (23JR6T)
I am sure you could but if your going thru the work and spending the money you might as well replace the fuel bowl and regulator with better products. Or just install a SD pump and fuel filter bowl but that isn't exactly an upgrade either due to the dead headed fuel system.