Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2008, 11:47 AM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

bikmop is starting off with a positive reputation.
Siphoning Gas F250???

99 Ford F250 4.3L V8 Triton Engine, Regular Cab. To replace the fuel tank, the manual advises to siphon tank, however, it does not say how. I've tried through the fueling tube but this unit has anti-siphoning devices preventing tubes to be inserted into the fuel tank. I've heard that disconnecting the fuel filter and letting the fuel pump drain the tank will work, but need confirmation? Any suggestions. I've sank the bed in the lake putting my boat in and it seems that I have water in the tank. Truck stalled
Old 07-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Posting Guru
Garage is empty, add now

caprang is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Helped a buddy one time do something similar. His wife filled the tank of his diesel truck with gasoline. We took the bed off (real easy with a couple of guys) and removed the fill hose from the tank. We did this because the tank was full and we knew it would be heavy to drop down. If your tank is under half full loosen the straps and start to lower it. When low enough to get your hand on top of it disconnect the hoses and wiring and you are free. Check out the tech section for the harpoon mod to the tank.
Job #3 build, 2" leveling kit, rear air bags, smoked cab lights and mirror lenses
Old 07-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Senior User
Garage is empty, add now

tinker934 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caprang View Post
Helped a buddy one time do something similar. His wife filled the tank of his diesel truck with gasoline. We took the bed off (real easy with a couple of guys) and removed the fill hose from the tank. We did this because the tank was full and we knew it would be heavy to drop down. If your tank is under half full loosen the straps and start to lower it. When low enough to get your hand on top of it disconnect the hoses and wiring and you are free. Check out the tech section for the harpoon mod to the tank.

WOW that was the hard way??? how about after the pump that is on the framerail disconnecting the line and turning the truck toe the on position and tada let the pump do most on the work at least that is how i did it for one customer.(and made him haul off the gas)(
Old 07-08-2008, 12:30 PM
2 bit Californian
2006 Ford F-250

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
Bill Pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikmop View Post
I've tried through the fueling tube but this unit has anti-siphoning devices preventing tubes to be inserted into the fuel tank.
Anti-siphon devices? Anybody else heard of that? I've siphoned out of my '06 diesel with little problem - long story, and no, diesel does NOT taste good. Just wondering if anybody knows what might be stopping his siphon hose.

Bill

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 07-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Posting Guru
Garage is empty, add now

caprang is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
This was a 99 we worked on. The separator/drain is on the engine, not on the frame. We didnt want to run gas all the way to the engine plus we needed to be sure we got 100% of it so no matter what the tank was coming out.

The original poster has a 99 gas truck (assuming a 5.4 since they dont make a 4.3) and I dont know of a fuel drain on a gas truck. Also, if he does have water in the tank I would suggest insuring it is 100% empty so he doesnt have more issues. Just my opinion.
Job #3 build, 2" leveling kit, rear air bags, smoked cab lights and mirror lenses
Old 07-08-2008, 12:47 PM
2 bit Californian
2006 Ford F-250

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
Bill Pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by caprang View Post
The original poster has a 99 gas truck (assuming a 5.4 since they dont make a 4.3) and I dont know of a fuel drain on a gas truck. Also, if he does have water in the tank I would suggest insuring it is 100% empty so he doesnt have more issues. Just my opinion.
I know he has a gasser, but I'm pretty sure the tank is the same for gas or diesel. The filler spout is different because it has to have the lead gas restrictor. I just have never heard of any anti-siphon gizmos. Why would they restrict siphoning gas, but not diesel. Flammable fumes? I was able to get a 3/4" garden hose down mine, with a little bit of twisting motion. Gasser might be different, but I would like to see some confirmation.

Regardless, to the OP, it is pretty easy to take the filler tube loose from the top of the tank. It looks like this on an '06:

Click the image to open in full size.

BTW, your fuel pump is inside the tank. So you could take a fuel line loose anywhere and pump the tank that way. Just don't let it go too low or you risk burning up the pump.
Bill

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 07-08-2008, 12:47 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
1999, 2006, 2008, 99, anti, diesel, f250, ford, gas, pickup, siphon, siphoning, spring, syphon, truck