Arizona Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Update On Us

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 01:51 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Update On Us

Just a post to say hi to everyone. We are all settled into our new place. We have four shows lined up for the remainder of the summer. We have one this weekend at home then three on the road. two in Eastern Nevada, Eureka & Ely. Then one in Battle Mountain. For those that don't know I'm a Custom Knifemaker.
Today I ran into an old friend that I knew from 40 years ago. I haven't seen him in all those years. He & I are riding our motorcycles to Carson City tomorrow, which will give us time to catch up.
We have done a fair amount of traveling since coming home. We took a 200 mile off-road trip last Friday. That was the first off-road test for the Blazer. It held up good. I need a set of new shocks for it & plan to install a set soon. After spending last summer in Bullhead City, we are still waiting for the heat. We have had a few 100 degree days but the 90s is where we have been for the most part. Nights cool into the 50s & 60s. We have several trees shading us at our park.
Saturday, we went to the VORRA off-road races in Fallon. We didn't get to meet racerchick she was on the course at a check point all day. But she told me she would be at the Start/Finish area in Yerington in September so we will hook up then, if not before. We go to Fallon a few times a week.
I'm sure some of you know areas I have mentioned, I knew Bart is familar with all since he tromped this country in his younger days.

Travis, has work on the Railroad slowed down there? My friend Kevin who is an Engineer here has said things are really slow here. The extra board out of Winnemucca is down to 2 guys. Just curious.

Wish we could be at the get together at Travis' but our thoughts are with all of you. Hope all have a safe fun time.

Craig

Old 07-23-2008, 07:43 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the update Craig......sounds like you're having a blast up there! Alot better then Kingman eh? New shocks & Blazerboy will be riding smooooooth! Oh and to answer your question about the railroad, yes....it's a LOT slower this year then last year and year before. There are lots of guys not working right now. I've got plenty of seniority to "weather the storm" We actually got a 17% raise this month though Gotta love the Union jobs! We fought for it for quite awhile. BNSF keeps making our trains longer and longer.....and that means less trains, which means less jobs. They are all about the almighty dollar.....but what big company isn't? lol If your ears are burning on Saturday....that's us talking about you Craig

Old 07-23-2008, 08:58 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,661 Likes on 1,128 Posts
thanks for the update, I did like living up there all but the pogo nip in the winter.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:52 AM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish our union was worth a dam, they're too busy protecting all the screw offs to do any good for the rest of the people. 23 years ago when I started here it was a good union, now it needs help.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not many Unions left anymore! My Father was the President of the Local Machinists union for the copper mines in southern AZ #2181 for Years! He was also President of the Sheriff's possie back in the late 60's, Dont know if I can ever fill his Shoes!

Old 07-23-2008, 06:58 PM
AzBlueWolf
Post Fiend
good to see ya posting craig!

my work has picked up a bit...18 cars a day from 18 techs, 3 QC, 1 tire , 2 lot attendents,3 lead techs,and 1 sublet coordinator...

much better than the 10 a day a few months ago...

we also have support from 2 body techs,2 windshield techs, a paintless dent repair tech, and 9 detailers...

transmisson, speedometer, and guage repairs are done offsite...as well as dealer warranty...

Im working on an 04 s'crew 4.6L 4x2 xlt auto 72k miles that we got at auction for about $8000!

Mark

Old 07-23-2008, 10:39 PM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great to hear you are setteling in to the new digs. Will miss you at the G2G.

Garbz

Old 07-24-2008, 01:31 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Good to hear from everyone. Bart, I'm kind of looking forward to winter. We don't as a rule get near as cold as Elko area. It seldom gets to zero at night in the winter. The 20s is the rule. But now that I have said that it will be the coldest in years.
Glad to hear your staying busy Mark. The used car business should be good with money being tight.
Travis, Yea Kevin said he got a raise also. He is waiting for it to come through. Kevin has about 6 years with the Railroad, so he will be OK unless they really cut here. I know you guys will only have sweet things to say about me.
Bill, I rode my bike to Carson City today with a buddy of mine that rides a Rock-A-Lounger most often called a Harley. But he is a real biker that fixes his own stuff real biker believe if it has two wheels your OK. We tease each other, we met his friend that rides a BMW.
I'm looking at a new bike. I want a bigger bike. I'm looking at a Kawasaki Verseys or maybe a 650R. Both run the same engine. I have 11,000 miles on the 250R it runs great cruised back at 80 MPH today. But I want a little more power. How is yours running?
Garbz, get Mark to get a picture of your highboy so it can be posted it so I can drool some more.
Always,
Craig & Vici

Old 07-24-2008, 04:08 AM
bigunred
Elder User
Man u lucky S O B I love eureka and ely done a bit of road work between them and ruby valley. Battle Mtn Is pretty cool also they used to have a race on the highway there and a great dirt track there to.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:20 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Smile

Originally Posted by bigunred
Man u lucky S O B I love eureka and ely done a bit of road work between them and ruby valley. Battle Mtn Is pretty cool also they used to have a race on the highway there and a great dirt track there to.
It is a beautiful area. We lived in Ely a few times but man the winters get cold there & Eureka. Even colder than the Elko area. Yea, Battle Mountain still has the track. Here in Lovelock we have a brand new 1/4 mile dirt track, IMCA sanctioned. Fernley closed there dirt track without notice so all the cars from there, Reno & Fallon join us here. Fallon still has a track but the same old politics seems to not make it a favorite with many drivers, even from Fallon, so they come here now. We have had up to 60 cars total. We're hoping for lighting in the next few years. We run day races. This weekend will be the first night race & lights are being rented for this weekends 2 day event.
I'm seeing that a lot of the guys running IMCAs are running FORD POWER, I'm guessing 351 Windsor motors they appear to be.
Craig