Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Non intercooled 05' roush charged 150

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Raider50
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non intercooled 05' roush charged 150

Hello guys, I have been informed that once we get a new truck I get our roushed 150 (sweeeeet), anyways its moderatly fast but i feel like it is held back. It is not intercooled so how much more boost can I run through it before it is unsafe to not have it meth/water injected? Are headers worth it on a s/c truck, because the ones i found are nearly 1400 w/o the custom run exaust, and with out my truck being intercooled how much horse power can i expect to get out of this motor before i start droping 2 or 3 grand? Well thank you all again

Old 07-06-2008, 11:50 PM
anaheim_drew
Senior User
I would suggest you contact Mike Troyer.
Nobody gets more out of the Roush supercharger on an F150 than he has...

Old 07-07-2008, 09:29 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Raider50
Hello guys, I have been informed that once we get a new truck I get our roushed 150 (sweeeeet), anyways its moderatly fast but i feel like it is held back. It is not intercooled so how much more boost can I run through it before it is unsafe to not have it meth/water injected? Are headers worth it on a s/c truck, because the ones i found are nearly 1400 w/o the custom run exaust, and with out my truck being intercooled how much horse power can i expect to get out of this motor before i start droping 2 or 3 grand? Well thank you all again
You're pretty much near the boost limit now with the stock pulley unless something is done to cool the incoming air. More boost = more heat and without the intercooler you just can't bump it up. You *may* be able to get away with a little more during winter but I wouldn't push it. The only way to know for certain is to relocate the IAT so it's getting post boost temperatures (or use an external sensor) while datalogging on the dyno. Your local tuner, if he's any good, should be able to use this to determine if you can get more boost from your particular setup... but you'll need to have an IAT gauge to watch what the truck is doing while you drive it.

The $1400 for headers? The only one's I know of that are that expensive at the Dynatech long tubes which include a full exhaust plus Magnaflow high-flow catalytic converters. Long tubes are good for about 20HP at the wheels - and they should cost that much!

Troyer is a good choice for mail order tunes, even better if you can get by his shop locally. His 2004 F150 uses a non-intercooled Roushcharger (or did, last time I was there) so he knows them well, plus he's done countless intercooled Roushchargers as well.d

Old 07-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Raider50
Elder User
I would love to stop by his shop but im not driving all the way from wyoming to get a tune, but thanks for the replys. And the heders that you said were the ones that I was looking at, if I ran true duals with stright through mufflers would i have to worrie about backpressure? With his tunes would i need a tuner or would one be recomended? Would i need the exausht on before i get the tune? Thanks again guys

Old 07-07-2008, 08:28 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
He handles tunes via mail-order but obviously they won't be as good as those done on the dyno with your truck. The headers I mentioned were true duals which included hi-flow catalytic converters, with or without mufflers. With true duals mufflers aren't going to cause any restriction on a non-intercooled truck. The tune needs to be written for the modifications the truck has. You can get it before the exhaust, but you'd need to get another set of tunes done after you get the exhaust. All tunes need something to load them on the computer with. On 2004+ you have to use a tuner. On 1996-2003 a tuner or a chip.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:32 PM
GerRod
Junior User
Originally Posted by Raider50
I would love to stop by his shop but im not driving all the way from wyoming to get a tune, but thanks for the replys. And the heders that you said were the ones that I was looking at, if I ran true duals with stright through mufflers would i have to worrie about backpressure? With his tunes would i need a tuner or would one be recomended? Would i need the exausht on before i get the tune? Thanks again guys
Troyer Performance can email you tunes based on the mods you have. He's done so many, that he knows how to tune just about every possible combination. I had my Roush S/C F150 dyno tuned locally and it ran like crap. I filled out TP's worksheets and Mike sent me tunes by email. It was the best investment I made. My truck runs great now. It has so much low end torque that you don't have to floor it to get a thrill!

Old 07-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Raider50
Elder User
"Mike sent me tunes by email" so im assuming you are using a tuner, what one is the best? If i was looking at the right thing on his site a tune for my truck is going to run me about 700$ so a good tuner is in order so i dont **** away 700 on a tune i cant use.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:06 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
I've never heard of Mike charging $700 for custom tuning. That would be outragious. Give them a call.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Raider50
Elder User
will do, looking back at what it was it was a tunner and then the tunes

Old 07-19-2008, 10:04 PM
GerRod
Junior User
The tuner and tunes could run about that much. I have the X Cal 2, but I got it a couple years ago. You're probably getting the X Cal 3 which is the next generation tuner of the X Cal 2. Anyway, you won't be disappointed