Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Posting Guru

MAKO314 has a good reputation on FTE.MAKO314 has a good reputation on FTE.
I should go into the soap biusness!!!

I got a batch of wvo that was a very dark brown color and titrated at 3.5. my question is, when I processed this stuff about 50% of it turned into glop. I tested it for water and it was clean and I havn't had this problem before so I'm stumped. what caused all this soap, any Ideas?????
Old 07-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Senior User

Az.scarecrow is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wow, are you sure your titration is correct?

My dark WVO titrates at 10-12ml per liter and my pale colored oil used for one Friday fish fry for a hadfull of retire-ees titrates at 6-7ml/l. Sure color is in the eye of the brewer, but you missed something along the line.

I'm thinking you may not have got a full conversion because lack of catalyst. What kind of lye and how much methanol did you use? 20-25% methanol? What kind of processor and what temp do you use? How long did you mix?

Keep in mind, I'm a thats had great luck with my 3-5 gallon batches. I'm still working on the 30 -40 gal processor so I'm not savvy with large batches yet, but I would still enjoy learning with you.

I had also found brewing information on this site very limited. That said, hopefully someone with more expeerience will chime in.
Autometer 3 pod pillar, AFE 6637 intake & 4" exhaust with muffler delete. DP Tuner from ITP - 40t+80e+140+drive-thru+high idle, JW Valve Body, HPX, OBAnni, CCV Bypass, Foil Delete, AIH Delete, & Ported Turbo Shroud.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Senior User

Wieckster is starting off with a positive reputation.
sounds to me like you titrate was wrong
Old 07-09-2008, 05:25 AM
Posting Guru

I talked to the owner of the place where I got the oil he said that he was useing recycled cooking oil thus the dark color. I'm still stumped about all the soap though, I retested the oil and still get a 3.5 - 3.8... I used a 20% by volume of methonal and I use a commercial grade 99.9% pure sodium hydroxide lye. I start the reaction at a temp of around 130* not wanting to boil off the methonal. I also let each batch settle for at least 8 hours.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Senior User

Az.scarecrow is starting off with a positive reputation.
Have you played with the one litre test batches on this oil and tried fooling with the chems.? I have yet to run into "Rcyl oil", does that indicate it had been pre-treated with a process so it could be used again for cooking?
Autometer 3 pod pillar, AFE 6637 intake & 4" exhaust with muffler delete. DP Tuner from ITP - 40t+80e+140+drive-thru+high idle, JW Valve Body, HPX, OBAnni, CCV Bypass, Foil Delete, AIH Delete, & Ported Turbo Shroud.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Junior User

h2odrx is starting off with a positive reputation.
It probably means he filters again and again to reuse it?

1997 F350 CrewCab PSD, 280K!
Quote:
NC State law defines biodiesel as ''any fuel or mixture of fuels derived in whole or in part from agricultural products or animal fats or wastes from these products or fats.''
Old 07-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Senior User

bradyracing is starting off with a positive reputation.
You need to give more info on exactly how you processed. Temps, what you use as a base amount, what pump you use, how long you process, and so on. The color of the feedstock in no way matters, it's the titration number.
And for az.scarecrow, you need to check your titration too because there is no way once used oil cooking fish should titrate at 6-7 unless it sat in the dumpster for a year or so in the heat before it was processed.
http://community.webshots.com/user/b...host=community
Old 07-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Posting Guru

I fixed the problem, my methanol/lye injector venturi was clogged up. it's all better and best of all, no more soap!!
Old 07-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Junior User

h2odrx is starting off with a positive reputation.
so was it not mixing or what? I often thought if I make soap I get Bio, cause when I make Bio I get soap?

1997 F350 CrewCab PSD, 280K!
Quote:
NC State law defines biodiesel as ''any fuel or mixture of fuels derived in whole or in part from agricultural products or animal fats or wastes from these products or fats.''
Old 07-28-2008, 06:53 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels