Manitoba / Saskatchewan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Fomoko1

No topic thread,,, Part 2

Old 08-15-2016, 10:20 PM
Corner Gas
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Fomoko1
Good morning, I`m taking the boat out tomorrow before the rains come back.
Good idea, it took us three tries to get the boat in the water. Once because of wind and next time rain. The scary part of that water is that is the supply for Moose Jaw, Regina and surrounding areas.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:27 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,340 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Good evening Perry.
It was a hot day here too but then a stupid little shower around supper time came wetting the grass just enough that I couldn`t cut it.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:18 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
Iv'e got to chop down the grass on the corner house tomorrow. Looks like a hay field right now. Place is being reno for rental but he's got 5 places on the go right now. Might do the kitchen and bathroom strip out on it, frees the contractor up for a day or 2 and gives me a rainy day project.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:44 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Happy Tuesday mornin'all. Heavy rain storm last night. Going to be hot and humid today. Thank god I work indoors. Have a great day guy's.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:05 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,108 Likes on 2,642 Posts
Pavement or mud? If it`s pavement then not bad.
Gravel and chewed up pavement Morris, only 20 miles of it..

Old 08-16-2016, 04:27 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Afternoon fellas,

Pictures of the 1979 F250 as requested (taken on the 6th of Aug).

Apparently a combine tried to eat this corner of the truck but failed. The rear bumper will get taken off soon enough, and so will the box (box will be swapped for my 1979 F150 box). The cab/doors as well.

Here it is after it got off the trailer. Unfortunately, the column shifter collar broke (as some of you know from other threads). Got my 2nd tilt column swapping into it and it's currently driveable... but has no brakes lol.

Rear diff tag. Dana 60. BOM: 603901-1 (3.54 ratio, 4.10 carrier). Dana 60 BOM Numbers | Dana 60 Identification

So that tube coming out of the axle, going up to the frame (hidden behind the gas tank), and coming back down... that's just a breather tube for the rear axle, correct?

If not, I think I found why my rear brakes leak so badly lol. There's also a nice leak onto the diff cover from the brake line (or so it appears).

Current issue - the engine dipstock looks like it's leaking. Easy fix? I hope so...

Second current issue... Silicone used as a gasket for the fuel pump... Tisk tisk...

A third current issue... passenger side valve cover is leaking. Valve cover gaskets are currently on their way to my doorstep.

Now for the big reveal...Drum roll please...

Front diff tag. Dana 60 (initially thought to be a Dana 44, but I was told wrong ). BOM: 610023-2 (3.54 ratio, 4.10 carrier).

Dana 60 BOM Numbers | Dana 60 Identification

it's a..... SNOW-FIGHTER PACKAGE!!!!

EDIT:

Pics of my brake line work over the weekend. Not finished, currently waiting on my double flare kit to come in the mail.

Existing lines (broken/bent to hell).

After about an hour with this line. Waiting to finish it because I need new fittings and my flaring kit to mock it up in the truck.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:02 PM
Corner Gas
Lead Driver
Looks like you some work cut out for you Aaron. Your brake line is leaking in about the same spot mine was on my 81.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:23 PM
Fomoko1
Good evening folks.
Mine is starting to look like a hay field too Perry so tomorrow will be my grass cutting day.
It was hot and humid here too Grant, after dinner it was indoors for me till later in the afternoon.
For gravel, muddy roads I take my F150 John, pavement right up to the edge of my farm yard has really spoiled me.
Thanks for the pictures Aaron, if I could find one as decent I just might go for it. The shift collar was a bit on the weak side, unfortunately not one of Ford`s better ideas.
That tube coming out of the axle is the breather tube for the rear axle.
I think that the engine dipstick is just a press fit so could be prone to coming loose, I`m not sure how to fix that other than making sure it`s in tight, a few light taps with a small hammer should do it and should stop the leak unless the hole is badly worn. If so I`d use Seal All/www.seal-all.com It drys hard but not too brittle, I`ve sealed leaking gas tanks while they were still dripping.
Silicone gasket on the fuel pump isn`t a good thing, don`t you just love what some previous owners will do.....
Replacing the existing lines on an older vehicle is a good thing to do, on an 88 F150 I had a hole rusted through the brake line over a dirt packed cross member.
Getting ready for harvest soon Colin?

Old 08-17-2016, 12:47 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
I'm not a big fan of doing my own brake lines, still do them though, buy the preflared straight lines at the parts store and bend them, still have to cut them on occasion and reflare them.

Took 3 hours to chop down the yard, puts $ in my pocket and shuts up the neighbors, not impressed with the type of workers this boy hires, going to drop him from my list. Theres to many good people to work for, don't need to be seen associated with crap, but will keep an eye on this place as it's a recipe for BS. The actual home owner had better be a better act than this guy.

Had to take a bit of a break myself this aft, burned up to much energy cutting grass. Got some of the tedious work done on my place, the stuff nobody sees.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:00 AM
Fomoko1
I`ve never flared brake lines, I buy flared ones.
It`s hard to find decent help around here.
Last call is done, good night gentlemen.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:41 AM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Corner Gas
Looks like you some work cut out for you Aaron. Your brake line is leaking in about the same spot mine was on my 81.
Yup, I've got a lot of work ahead of me. I'm looking forward to the challenge and posting up pics/progress as I go. It's nice to finally have a 4x4 truck that I can sink my teeth into.

5 years of collecting parts should be a huge help for me too.

Thanks for the pictures Aaron, if I could find one as decent I just might go for it. The shift collar was a bit on the weak side, unfortunately not one of Ford`s better ideas.
My dad said the same thing when I showed him the shift collar. He said "White metal... What the hell was Ford thinking???"

That tube coming out of the axle is the breather tube for the rear axle.
That's what I thought it might be, but it was connected to the same region as another line going into it, so I was curious. Thanks for the answer.

I think that the engine dipstick is just a press fit so could be prone to coming loose, I`m not sure how to fix that other than making sure it`s in tight, a few light taps with a small hammer should do it and should stop the leak unless the hole is badly worn. If so I`d use Seal All/www.seal-all.com It drys hard but not too brittle, I`ve sealed leaking gas tanks while they were still dripping.
Silicone gasket on the fuel pump isn`t a good thing, don`t you just love what some previous owners will do.....
Replacing the existing lines on an older vehicle is a good thing to do, on an 88 F150 I had a hole rusted through the brake line over a dirt packed cross member.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm actually enjoying bending my new lines up and putting in some effort into the brake system. First time ever working with restoring brakes (I've done the usual pads/rotors on the Cutlass several times), so we'll see how it turns out. My guess is that I'll have a lot of bleeding to do once I'm done correcting these lines.

Originally Posted by privateer, eh
I'm not a big fan of doing my own brake lines, still do them though, buy the preflared straight lines at the parts store and bend them, still have to cut them on occasion and reflare them.
I just can't justify the costs to have my brake lines shipped to me... Exchange rate sucks, shipping costs are outrageous, and customs ALWAYS messes with my stuff at the border...

My justification was 1) get to buy new tools 2) get to learn a new skill that I can use in the future

Plus the cost was right... $25 for 25' of steel line, and new fittings are $0.52 a piece. Kinda hard to beat those prices.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:25 PM
Fomoko1
Good afternoon folks.
Thanks for the pictures, it`s a lot of work but what a fun ride Aaron.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:57 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,108 Likes on 2,642 Posts
Good evening everyone..

Old 08-17-2016, 09:50 PM
Corner Gas
Lead Driver
[QUOTE=Fomoko1;16503312ed)
Getting ready for harvest soon Colin?[/QUOTE]

I hope to spray my Lentils tomorrow and should be able to combine them in about 10 days.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:52 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Looks like we're getting some liquid sunshine tomorrow and maybe tonite

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No topic thread,,, Part 2