Manitoba / Saskatchewan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Fomoko1

No topic thread,,, Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 06:21 PM
Paso1
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I had a exciting Friday the 13th.
Was moving a Airstream trailer for my son from his house to my shop.
As I was backing it into the shop I got out of the truck to open the shop door.
As I was walking back to the truck I could smell someone burning garbage.
I thought to myself who's burning garbage this late of the day.

Well I get to the cab and I see 2 ft high flames coming from my hood and drivers fender well.
Holy **** it's my garbage I quickly start throwing snow on the fender and hood trying to snuff out the flames.
My wife was standing at the door to the shop to help guide me in I screamed to her " grab a fire extinguisher "
Her first question is where is one. I said there is a bunch in scattered around the shop look on the walls.

The first reaction is to put the fire out but for about 2 seconds I thought SGI probably would give me more than the truck is worth

Anyway after emptying the fire extinguisher out the fire was out.
It appears after stripping the front end of the truck where the fire started
looks like the headlight bulb fell out the back of the headlight housing and started the harnesss on fire the headlight bucket is melted beyond use.
I salvaged the better part of the harness.
But i'm in the market for some headlights No more HID conversion kits

The old housings were all faded and scratched.
This was all on my 2001 F250 with the Power Stroke the whole truck smells like a burning barrel.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:27 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's some excitement you could do without Paul!! Good thing it didn't happen in the shop. Were the HID's to blame for the fire or are they no longer available?

Old 02-14-2015, 06:38 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Love my job , something different each day .
My Boss ... Bought me a fridge , well pump installed , new ac unit , cash loans when times were tough , Helped me out a lot .
Worked many jobs , many places .
Best one yet .
I wish everyone was as lucky as I am .....

Old 02-14-2015, 06:42 PM
Paso1
Tuned
It's just a educated guess that the HID's started it as they run so hot.
The fuse was not even blown, so the kit didn't malfunction electrically.

What a mess the fire extinguisher leaves.

The HID kits are still available but not that good of quality IMHO as the kit uses the old headlight socket, and i'm sure that is why the bulb vibrated or shook loose jammed into the lock bezel.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:24 PM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,139 Likes on 1,684 Posts
Originally Posted by yamagrant
I took Jordan to work this morning in my POS Montana and couldn't get warm. On the way home I stopped at a local dealer and bought this:2010, 4.6, 97000k. very clean.

Good for you Grant, you deserve a good truck, I have a 2010 Explorer with the 4.6L, great motor

Old 02-14-2015, 07:24 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
ATTA BOY! John. It's nice to be appreciated.Keep up the good work.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:48 PM
Corner Gas
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Another funeral today, I hope it is the last one for a long time. A nasty storm to boot also. After the funeral the local tow truck driver spent an hour pulling vehicles out of snow banks. Someone tried to pay him and he told the fellow he was a business man not a thief.

Nice looking truck Grant, congrats.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:09 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Morning Fellas...6" of snow last night. Got the tractor plugged in, give it an hour to warm up then its play time Collin, sounds like you have an "old school" business man tow truck operator. Nowadays it seems that people want to hit you hardest when you're vulnerable.

JWC, your boss definitely sounds like a keeper. Unless you have some dirty pics of him and he's just protecting his interests... Haha. Just kidding of course. There are still a decent folk hanging out around this world. Would be awesome if it would be a spreading trait.

Have a great day guys!!!! Happy Sunday!!

Old 02-15-2015, 09:04 AM
Randy_270
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Morning everyone. Hope everyone is staying warm, its actually pretty nice out here today. Only -23 and -34 with wind today. Got some dog poop to scoop today while its nice outside.

Morris, as warm as that wool onesie would be, I think it would just be to itchy lol.

Curtis, which hubs did you put in your Ex? I haven't had any major problems with mine (yet) other then the fact that the vacuum operation only wants to work once or twice then it stops. So I have just learned that in winter time my hubs stay locked all the time.

John (56panelford), I know how you feel about working night shifts. I work shift work too, its not a lot of fun. My sleep is still kind of screwed up from my latest set of nights.

CONGRATS ON THE NEW TRUCK GRANT!! That's a sharp looking truck, I really like that grey colour. You just need to colour match the door handles, bumpers and grille, and get some black rims (or paint the current ones) and your truck would be 100 times nicer

Good luck selling your snowmobile Sherwin. Sucks to hear that you only have enough snow now lol. A co-worker of mine told me his buddy is looking for a sled soonish, so I might have a buyer lined up for this spring-summer.

Paso1, sorry to hear about your truck. Do you plan on fixing it or just getting a different one?

John (JWC 3), sounds like you have a great boss.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:36 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Happy Sunday mornin'all. Colin; Sorry about the loss. Randy; Running board's, mud flap's and maybe some striping. I'll need the running board's when I take my younger brother for dialysis. He has a hard time stepping up. I'll just bring a small stool for now. Have a great day guy's.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:00 AM
ATV PRO #11
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 96sherm
-42 windchills calls for snuggling in front of the woodstove, Curtis. You have it all wrong

Monday is a holiday... For the first time in 12 years, I'm having a holiday and getting paid for it
Lots of that year round for us We both don't really "buy" into the Vday thing. Breaky in bed, cooked up a nice lunch, kept kids in shop busy while she had a nice quite day. Whipped up a pretty wicked din din and even did the dishes. I got out for some small test rips (learning clutching) so all was fantastic here for us!!

You working for someone else now Sherm?

I took Jordan to work this morning in my POS Montana and couldn't get warm. On the way home I stopped at a local dealer and bought this:2010, 4.6, 97000k. very clean.
Awesome Grant!!! Great trucks, as Sherm said, very under rated.

Originally Posted by JWC 3
Love my job , something different each day .
My Boss ... Bought me a fridge , well pump installed , new ac unit , cash loans when times were tough , Helped me out a lot .
Worked many jobs , many places .
Best one yet .
I wish everyone was as lucky as I am .....
Its not hard to have the bosses back when he has yours when ya need it. Awesome to hear!!! Things like that don't happen anymore these days

Originally Posted by Corner Gas
Another funeral today, I hope it is the last one for a long time. A nasty storm to boot also. After the funeral the local tow truck driver spent an hour pulling vehicles out of snow banks. Someone tried to pay him and he told the fellow he was a business man not a thief.

Not a easy thing to go to Colin. Kudo's to that driver tho!! I pull probably 10-20/year out around here. Mainly east of us, trees open up to this one opening and pretty much 90% of the pulls are from that little 500' stretch. I never take a buck from my neighbors. I've come home to cards, 6-pack of 6.9's, case of beer, even $40 bucks wedged in my shop door. No idea who to this day.
Pay It Forward Story..........
About 10 years ago we had a little ole lady who used to walk down our stretch. Being bush,we are always prone to bears sprin and fall. Well one day we had a lady standing outside our driveway just standing there. Me, knowing they were indeed around, went out. She was terrified. Bear. Well mumzie fired up her buggy and gave the lady a ride home. Offered monies but NO WAY. So 10 years go by. Looking locally for a pair of skates for mumzie, as kids and I are into skating, low and behold we call an ad. Head out to look at and it's this ladies house. Skates fit and there wasn't a doller exchanged. What comes around, usually go's around

Originally Posted by Randy_270
Morning everyone. Hope everyone is staying warm, its actually pretty nice out here today. Only -23 and -34 with wind today. Got some dog poop to scoop today while its nice outside.

Curtis, which hubs did you put in your Ex? I haven't had any major problems with mine (yet) other then the fact that the vacuum operation only wants to work once or twice then it stops. So I have just learned that in winter time my hubs stay locked all the time.

. A co-worker of mine told me his buddy is looking for a sled soonish, so I might have a buyer lined up for this spring-summer.

I put Warn Premiums in. Whooping 8 mins per side to do. Used a 5" hole saw to cut my covers open, sanded smooth and installed. Nice easy access and looks decent.

You selling your sled too??

Thinking about giving the body a lil rest from sleddin today. Jammed out on a club run to Elk Island. 2100kms on her as of yesterday. Still not alot of people out on the trails. I'm surprised as we've had good snow for a couple weeks now

Well for everyone that chimes in, Have A Great Day Today

Old 02-15-2015, 10:09 AM
ATV PRO #11
Fleet Mechanic
Happy Sunday mornin'all. Colin; Sorry about the loss. Randy; Running board's, mud flap's and maybe some striping. I'll need the running board's when I take my younger brother for dialysis. He has a hard time stepping up. I'll just bring a small stool for now. Have a great day guy's.
Hawk Auto on Dawson. Ask for a catalogue. Every accessory you can think of. Great looking Ford mud flaps. Come to think of it I have a set as well. Ford Emblem on them. Brand new.
My buddy Paul, fellow racer, installs all Hawks stuff in house. Buy, gets installed and done. Let em know Curtis sent ya

Old 02-15-2015, 10:32 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ATV PRO #11
Hawk Auto on Dawson. Ask for a catalogue. Every accessory you can think of. Great looking Ford mud flaps. Come to think of it I have a set as well. Ford Emblem on them. Brand new.
My buddy Paul, fellow racer, installs all Hawks stuff in house. Buy, gets installed and done. Let em know Curtis sent ya
Will do. Thanks, Curtis.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:58 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Grant, make sure when you get running boards that they're fully enclosed all around. Some of the Ford ones (unsure who makes them) are a 1/2 moon shape, so the open bottom of them completely cakes up with road crap and is very difficult to clean. Of course, get the stainless ones, not chrome plated, but you know that already Again, highest of respects to you for taking such good care of your bro!!!

Curtis, I took a job with a local developer who is aggressively growing his business. I've known him for a few years, he's a good guy. I'm supervising a crew of decent chaps. It took a lot of headaches away from me in regard to being self employed. Now I have set hours, no weekend work, little to no job stress, little to no expenses, a company vehicle coming shortly, and an income that is pretty near what my self employment income was once I subtracted wages and other expenses that I don't have now. The only down side is the days where I wake up and don't feel like working, I still have to go.

Snow is cleared...off to the gym while momma makes a grub run.... Have a good one everyone!!!

Old 02-15-2015, 02:15 PM
Randy_270
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Grant, I got some front mud flaps off my 2010 F150 you can have if you want?

Yes I'm selling my sled Curtis, I have under 850km on it and I've had it since December, 2011. I don't ride it enough to justify keeping it, plus I want the money more than I want my sled.

Quick Reply: No topic thread,,, Part 2