1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Column Choice

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 09:43 PM
53pickemuptruck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Column Choice

I need some opinions , pro's and cons,or any other advice for choosing the right column. Flaming River's or Ididit's tilt , polished aluminum column. Why is Ididit so high compared to Flaming Rivers. Which looks better to ya and which one will be best choice. I just cant figure this out by myself. Help please!

Old 07-05-2008, 10:35 PM
gusso
Elder User
Glad you asked this question. I, to am interested as I`m almost ready to install one or the other. Looking forward to any and all responses. Thanks for asking this question.

Gary

Old 07-05-2008, 10:56 PM
sandhillmike
Senior User
I bought the Flaming River, mainly due to price. It looks good, but not installed yet.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:28 PM
dongc1
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the Flaming River and no problems.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:28 AM
56 Panel
Junior User
I like my truck for what it is, and am not building a "street rod" truck with a lot of modern aftermarket parts. The stock steering column will be cleaned and painted, and it will look better to me than any aftermarket column.

On my truck, a polished aluminum steering column would look out of place. (And nothing spoils the looks of a traditional hot rod's interior more than a flat-sided chunk of polished aluminum the size of a soup can between the dash and the steering wheel.)

I don't mean to shoot you down in flames (or scallops). I bought an old truck because I love old trucks for what they are.

Dave
1956 Ford F-100 panel truck project

Old 07-06-2008, 06:31 AM
merten
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
56 Panel
That is a great looking truck you have, however I wonder why you would choose to put a cheby 454 in it? Now that would really look out of place.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:02 AM
merc546
Posting Guru
I have had both Flaming River (in truck now) and Ididit. I think the Ididit column is a better built unit.

I have a volare front susp and at the time it had a lokar floor shifter so I bought a Ididit column with no shifter (it is about 2 inches in dia). Made all the brackets and bought some expensive floor mounting coller. Drove it and just hated the floor shifter swinging in the air (it was there when I bought the truck). So to save some of the stuff that I had bought I replaced the Ididit Column (2 inch dia floor shift, with column shift 2 1/4 dia) with a Flaming River (column shift 2 inch dia).

If I were to do it again I would modify the stock column, reason being I never move the steering wheel and the right position for me happens to be in a non tilt position.

Chuck

Old 07-06-2008, 07:31 AM
e william
Elder User
I have the Ididit chrome, at the time i purchased I think the comparable flaming river was a little higher. I like the Ididit, was reccomended 32" length but when I installed with my seats it was a little too long, found it was easy to dissasemble and cut shorter, fits well, also was able to get an old style 3-bolt steering wheel adaptor so I could use my old "Superior" walnut steering wheel...just my 2-cents worth.
have a great day, Ed

Old 07-06-2008, 07:42 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the Ididit column, auto tranny, and tilt. had it painted to match
still ave to pick a steering wheel.

Wish it had the headlight click dimmer built in. you'da thought by now..

Sam

Old 07-06-2008, 09:37 AM
8bahead
Senior User
Speedway motors sells some really nice old style steering columns priced reasonable. They have a 30" polished stainless steel column"it can be painted"with ball bearings on either end it comes with a double D end for a good mechanical connection to your steering box. it has no frills or thrills, it has a 3 bolt hub you can mount a grant wheel to it. Also the hub has a quick release so when your in those not so great places you can take the steering wheel with you, you know sort of a theft deterrent. They come in different lengths. pricing starts at $119.00

Old 07-06-2008, 10:03 AM
homade
Posting Guru
I have the flaming river in Homade and really like it, easy installation wires and all.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:54 PM
55fordtruck
Junior User
I have the polished flamming river. Still leaning in the corner by the back door. Was going to buy plain steel column shift but lucked out on ebay and found this one. I just hate the extra work in the cleaning.

Kevin

Old 07-06-2008, 05:09 PM
homade
Posting Guru
hey kevin, whats up dude?

Old 07-06-2008, 05:14 PM
bememe
Senior User
I don't know what the price difference is either. I picked the FR for the price. Tilt and column shift. I got the paintable version also cuz I tend to not like big chunks of polished or stainless anything. Haven't had any trouble but also not on the road yet either.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Wayne S
Elder User
Originally Posted by homade
I have the flaming river in Homade and really like it, easy installation wires and all.
Hey Garry how are you.I am going to buy a column soon and I am not sure what length to buy.What length did you use.I am using M11 suspension.Hope you had a great holiday weekend.

Quick Reply: Column Choice