Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Cooling, Heating, Ventilation & A/C
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-22-2002, 01:19 PM
New User

Dogdecur is starting off with a positive reputation.
How to test Blower Motor Resistor ??

Does anyone know how to test a blower motor resistor? My blower only works on high, so I pulled the resistor and checked it with my voltmeter.

My truck is an '82 F-100 and the resistor has a three connectors then one single connector. Using my voltmeter, 2 of the 3 connectors show continiuity with zero resistance when I used the single connector as the other point. The other one (of the 3) also showed continiuity, but at a higher resistance.

I know a bad resistor can cause the fan to only operate on high, but before I replace the resistor, I want to make sure that is the problem.

Any experience out there? Does anyone know if NAPA, or other parts place carry this resistor?

Thanks, Steve
Old 08-23-2002, 03:42 PM
Senior User

Charles-65F350 is starting off with a positive reputation.

You need an ohmmeter with a good low-resistance range to measure the actual values. Those resistors have values around a few tenths of an ohm. If you are reading continuity at each end of each "coil" they are almost certainly OK. Of course if there is a burned area and the ends are just barely touching all bets are off, but you could see that easily.

The other two-lead widget is a thermal fuse which opens if the resistors get overheated (for example, if a mouse nest in the heater box catches fire. Don't ask how I know). If it's open I believe you will not get any fan including high.

My Ford dealer has them for my '84 F150, for $23. Pep Boys, etc. did not.
Old 09-02-2002, 09:36 AM
Postmaster

tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.
Post How to test Blower Motor Resistor ??

Old 09-05-2002, 11:41 AM
New User

Dogdecur is starting off with a positive reputation.

Thanks Charles,

Got it up and working, it was the resistor. Thanks to your info I was able to pick out one at a junk yard. It does appear that the thermal fuse had blown on my old one. I was able to test the junkyard's resistor and the old coils all had low resistance (less than 2 ohms).

I called my dealer and they wanted $50 for one and it was not returnable on top of that. The junkyard resistor cost me 5 bucks plus the time it took to pull it out!

Once again Thanks, Steve

Old 09-05-2002, 11:41 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Cooling, Heating, Ventilation & A/C

Tags
01, 2005, blower, f250, ford, forums, motor, ohms, ranger, replace, resistor, taurus, test, testing, voltmeter