1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

has anyone ever hit 4000 rpms in our trucks??

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 10:09 AM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
has anyone ever hit 4000 rpms in our trucks??

and also do we have governers or anything? would it be possible for someone to "accidently" get up to that if let's say someone kept it in 1st or 2nd gear for way too long?

Old 07-04-2008, 10:36 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

We don't have a governer but I am sure the PCM limits RPM. that is removed with some chips though. On a stock (especially high mileage truck) damage to the valve train/piston would be a very real possibility. Hypermax and a few others make valve springs and push rods that make it possible for those who venture into that RPM range

Old 07-04-2008, 10:42 AM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
We don't have a governer but I am sure the PCM limits RPM. that is removed with some chips though. On a stock (especially high mileage truck) damage to the valve train/piston would be a very real possibility. Hypermax and a few others make valve springs and push rods that make it possible for those who venture into that RPM range
cause i was going 60mph in 2nd gear and when i glanced down i could've sworn 4k rpms...... definitely sounded like everything had trouble keeping up... no damage luckily but that'll teach me to street race ricers and forgetting i'm not in drive!!

Old 07-04-2008, 10:52 AM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
the pcm limits fuel to stop rpm increase at 3400 rpm. running a chipped truck and stage 2's as you are could still run past the limiter, i'm not sure about 4k but i would say its possible to go over 3400 on accell. if you were hard on the throttle with the added fuel from 2's you could take the rpm past 3400 even though the pcm cuts it off at that point. but it should be for long as you would lose the power past that point and come back down to the limiter. you can also blow the engine on a stick truck from downgearing too aggressivly. the limiter is only for fuel, not engine rpm itself

Old 07-04-2008, 11:03 AM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe
the pcm limits fuel to stop rpm increase at 3400 rpm. running a chipped truck and stage 2's as you are could still run past the limiter, i'm not sure about 4k but i would say its possible to go over 3400 on accell. if you were hard on the throttle with the added fuel from 2's you could take the rpm past 3400 even though the pcm cuts it off at that point. but it should be for long as you would lose the power past that point and come back down to the limiter. you can also blow the engine on a stick truck from downgearing too aggressivly. the limiter is only for fuel, not engine rpm itself
i was floored from 0 till i heard what sounded liek wayy too many rpms and looked down as i let off and saw 60 lol i know going a constant 30 i'm at 2k rpms and 45 i'm at 3000 and when i looked down it was definitely close to 4k rpms.... obviously i'm not entirely sure of the exact rpms but it was VERY close if not at 4k rpms.... definitely sounded pretty cool though when it started going past the normal 32-3300rpms i see

Old 07-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by glasseater
i was floored from 0 till i heard what sounded liek wayy too many rpms and looked down as i let off and saw 60 lol i know going a constant 30 i'm at 2k rpms and 45 i'm at 3000 and when i looked down it was definitely close to 4k rpms.... obviously i'm not entirely sure of the exact rpms but it was VERY close if not at 4k rpms.... definitely sounded pretty cool though when it started going past the normal 32-3300rpms i see
Big diesels sound awesome when they are screaming along, espeically a cummins breaking 4600 RPM. The only problem is, the sound is only cool until you throw a rod out the side of the block

Old 07-04-2008, 12:42 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Lead Head
Big diesels sound awesome when they are screaming along, espeically a cummins breaking 4600 RPM. The only problem is, the sound is only cool until you throw a rod out the side of the block
exactly, after i finish everything else i wanna do (tranny, turbo, rods, oil system, fuel system, bigger injectors, head studs, traction bars) i'm gonna build up the entire valvetrain and get this thing to be able to hit 4000 rpms everyday without missing a beat... goal after all this: 650hp

Old 07-04-2008, 01:33 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3500-4000 is about where the valves start floatin!! time for some comp beehives!

Old 07-05-2008, 01:56 AM
jdap
Senior User
I was talking to one of the guys at Swamps Diesel Performance a month or two ago and they said that they were working on a completely new engine management system that would allow the engine to work properly at higher levels than the normal PCM. Obviously a guy would need the mods to go with it though. They don't have it on their website yet but that doesn't really mean too much with them.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:26 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jdap
I was talking to one of the guys at Swamps Diesel Performance a month or two ago and they said that they were working on a completely new engine management system that would allow the engine to work properly at higher levels than the normal PCM. Obviously a guy would need the mods to go with it though. They don't have it on their website yet but that doesn't really mean too much with them.
there's been lots of talk about different types of setups for our 7.3s... stealth oil systems is making a new oil system to allow our 7.3s to finally have the oil capacity with the HEUI system to use injectors that can theoretically make over 1000hp.... also there is a commonrail 7.3 system in the works for 2-3 years now.... mechanical 7.3s.... lots of stuff haha

Old 07-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mechanical injection 7.3s sound sweet

Old 07-06-2008, 09:28 AM
barebackjake
Postmaster
id rather have the cr system have more streetable power and efficentcy <-i cant spell this mornin lol

the big mechanical 7.3 is all hp all the time which is fine for the strip but sucks on the road.

di has a set of thoose 1000hp injectors in a customers truck right now with a set of terminator pumps so we shall see whats gonna happen.....

for the common rail setup i would rather get ahold of a 6.4 and mod it out than convert a 7.3 to cr by the time you buy a pump and injectors and someones ecm to control it i bet im half way to findin a 6.4 then make 400+ on a box. 500+ with a box and injectors theres one out there that they have adjusted the emmisions and are makin over 600 they just cant get enough fuel to the motor now

Old 07-06-2008, 11:13 AM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by barebackjake
id rather have the cr system have more streetable power and efficentcy <-i cant spell this mornin lol

the big mechanical 7.3 is all hp all the time which is fine for the strip but sucks on the road.

di has a set of thoose 1000hp injectors in a customers truck right now with a set of terminator pumps so we shall see whats gonna happen.....

for the common rail setup i would rather get ahold of a 6.4 and mod it out than convert a 7.3 to cr by the time you buy a pump and injectors and someones ecm to control it i bet im half way to findin a 6.4 then make 400+ on a box. 500+ with a box and injectors theres one out there that they have adjusted the emmisions and are makin over 600 they just cant get enough fuel to the motor now
i've only heard of one mechanical 7.3 and it is DUM DUM DUM!!! double overtime haha everyone should know who that is....

and i don't think terminator pumps can provide enough oil but i guess we'll see...

a 6.4 block alone probably costs about 20 grand haha i think i'd rather buy a 7.3 block and put 15k worth of common rail stuff on it just for the novelty part of it

Old 07-06-2008, 11:27 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

I think at this point any of the Big oil setups (term, stealth, BTS, Swamps) can supply oil to any injectors being made right now. Include the SHO's and the DI injectors that Jake is talking about. Oil isn't the big issue. speed and fuel capacity are the limiting factors.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:13 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
I think at this point any of the Big oil setups (term, stealth, BTS, Swamps) can supply oil to any injectors being made right now. Include the SHO's and the DI injectors that Jake is talking about. Oil isn't the big issue. speed and fuel capacity are the limiting factors.
i thought the problem was always that there wasn't an oil system out there that could keep up with the injectors' demand? i know stealth has 3 new oil systems coming out in i believe january and they claim the first system can support up to 200cc injectors (not that big), the 2nd stage can support up to 400cc of fuel.. and the 3rd and final stage can support injectors with over 1000hp worth of fuel... stealth claims noone makes injectors large enough to max out the stage 3 pumps yet... each stage is upgradable to the next as well... i think this will REALLY help us get closer to that magical 1000hp mark...

Quick Reply: has anyone ever hit 4000 rpms in our trucks??