Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Cooling, Heating, Ventilation & A/C
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-26-2002, 07:55 PM
Freshman User

Jim_Banville is starting off with a positive reputation.
Where do I add freon?

I have a small can of R-12 and hook-up hose. Where do I attach the hose on my '89 F-150 w/ 5.8L V8? I had an A/C guy stop by my house and look at the truck. He thought it just needed a re-charge. I think I remember him saying the low-pressure service port where I attach the hose from the freon can is on the right side of the engine (high-pressure being on the left) Correct? Also, the plastic cap on the port on the right has split and fallen off. Is it important to have a cap there to prevent leakage? Or is it just to keep out debris? Where can I find a replacement? It's bigger than a tire valve stem cap. Can I just wrap black electrical tape around it for now?

thanks
Jim
Old 09-27-2002, 10:38 PM
Senior User

aikigod is starting off with a positive reputation.
Where do I add freon?

The low side port should be on the passenger's side of the engine, sticking out of the large cannister-looking thing (at least it is on my '92). For best results, you should be using a manifold gauge to add refrigerant to your system; however, if you don't, make sure you add small amounts at a time and let the unit pull down, checking the performance of your system (ie: vent temp). As for the service cap, it's for both keeping debris out and preventing leaks through the schrader valve, but as long as it is not leaking out at the moment, it should be fine (off cycle pressures can be around the 100psi+ range; wrapping electrical tape around it will have NO effect). You can check to see if it is leaking by applying some soap & water solution to the schrader valve and see if it bubbles (PLEASE make sure you either do this after adding your refrigerant or completely dry the water off the valve; trust me, you don't want water inside your system!). Then later on you can scrounge around the bone yards to scarf a cap (just make sure it's from a R-12 system; the newer 134a units have different sized service ports).

Hope this helped a bit...

1992 F150 XLT Supercab Shortbox
4X4, 5.8L, E4OD, and a few extras!
Old 09-28-2002, 10:01 AM
Freshman User

Jim_Banville is starting off with a positive reputation.
Where do I add freon?

Thanks for the info! Do you know of any sites that have DIY info for servicing (adding freon & checking pressure) the AC?

thanks!
Jim
Old 09-28-2002, 10:23 AM
Postmaster

tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.
Where do I add freon?

http://www.ackits.com/forum/index.cfm
http://www.aircondition.com/ straight to the board link

tom
Old 09-30-2002, 06:38 PM
New User

Mil1ion is starting off with a positive reputation.
Where do I add freon?

Old 09-30-2002, 06:38 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Cooling, Heating, Ventilation & A/C

Tags
150, 2006, ac, add, adding, board, f150, ford, freon, httpwwwairconditioncom, link, refrigerant, reload, straight, suburban, truck, unit