Smoke Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:06 AM
ccg711
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoke Problems

Hello all,
Been a while since I've been on the boards. Greets to all. Have neglected the truck till I got title to it. Finally got title, in another state, and have to get the truck working to transfer everything so I've started the troubleshooting process. Bought an auto enginuity scanner to help with the ordeal so here goes......
Truck smokes ALOT. White/Grey in color and smells fuel rich, to the point it burns your eyes.
Truck also idles poorly and has NO power, will stall in reverse without revving and is hard to move.
Previous scanner sessions said Cyl 5 contribution fail, and injector 5 sounded horrible on buzz test.
I just replaced injector 5 with a Brand new alliant power stamped injector from local injection shop.
Buzz test sounds correct now, but I'm still getting a cyl 5 contribution fail when I run the contribution test.
I also ran a KOER test which threw a P1211 ICP pressure code. But only during the test.
Prior to changing injector the oil was fuel saturated.
I have also replaced the glow plug on cylinder 5 since a DVM suggested it was bad.
Have tried to do a compression test, but my guage won't fit in around the vavle train. Will try again.
Oil is still fuel saturated and needs to be changed. Also when I pulled this last injector, it stayed out for 16+ hours while I purchased it and there was something green colored coming out of the lower rail in the head. But during the span the injector was out my cooolant level didn't change. However no telling how old the fuel was. Fuel was run dry last night and fresh added in with no change in performance.
I can send log data back to anyone who wants to look at any parameters.
I'll even video the silly thing if you want.
Suggestions and comments welcome

Chad

99 F350 7.3L CC LB 6637, bone stock and abused.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:52 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil Change? Disel kleen ran through for a couple hundred miles, see if you get a change, since it sounds like it has been sitting. Fuel filter change as well. Continue to try and get the compression test done.

How long did it sit, any back fire?

Old 07-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Holy crapp Chad, no offense. It sounds like their is fuel in your oil, oil in your coolant, coolant in your oil.

I agree with Pat, i'd change out every single fluid in the truck, including coolant.

Originally Posted by ccg711

Truck also idles poorly and has NO power, will stall in reverse without revving and is hard to move..
Im not sure he's going to get diesel kleen run through for a few hundred, if he can barely get the thing to move.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:00 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Thats another thing, sorry, nice catch Lisa, have you checked your intercooler boots?

Old 07-03-2008, 12:23 PM
ccg711
Senior User
boots on passenger side should be ok, as I just messed with them during the injector change. let me run down some history real quick.
truck was fleet truck for oil drilling company.
when i got it, it was in a no start condition. after cranking on it and running clean fuel through it, it drove fine for about 2-3 weeks with only a little smoke before it died. When it died it did so with a catastrophic sound. Before it died, it had power problems intermitently, then when it died it did so with a loud "BANG" but nothing was hanging out the engine so I limped it home whle filling four lanes of traffic with a suffocating white smoke. Since then I've had fuel saturation problems with the oil, and now for the first time I've seen a green color in the lower fluid rail of the head. It died more than 1 1/2 years ago, and I've cranked it occasionally since then to keep everything from geting worse. The turbine wheel also looks like it has had some dusting. To what degree I don't know. What worries me is that before and after the injector change, I get cyl 5 contribution fail.
Thanks for the thoughts
Chad

Old 07-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Any oil in your coolant? Being that it all ended in a loud bang...are you sure there are no holes in the side of the block?

Compression test would be wise at this point.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:37 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
What Lisa said, you really need to get a compression test done..

Old 07-03-2008, 12:52 PM
ccg711
Senior User
yeah, just that my gauge has a quick disconnect that is too big to fit in near the push rod/rocker arm. I'm going to take a look and see if I can find a way to make something fit to get a reading. No oil in the coolant, and even though the coolant resevoir shows low, it did not drain out in the cylinder bore with the injector removed for like 16-20 hours. In fact the coolant hasn't moved at all as far as I can remember, I've never touched it. I'll top it off with some water and see what happens. Will need new oil for troubleshooting since what is in there is 9 kinds of contaminated from work on the engine. My wife is gonna kill me for spending all this money. Teach me to buy "project" vehicles. Any ideas of what went bang, or why the cylinder is dead? I'll also take some temp readings. Before injector got changed, the passenger side cylinder bank was 100*F colder than driver bank, will check that again as well.
Chad

Old 07-03-2008, 01:00 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
definate bang, or like a thump, thump would put me back to the boots. Since our trucks are still the old school coolant system, if you have a coolant system tester, you can presurize the system and wait for a leak down. At least it should give you an idea of block damage.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:04 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With a little luck, the green you're seeing is leak detector. That stuff will turn oil a fluorescent green. The last time I saw a ton of white smoke coming out the rear of my truck, I had blown my turbo seals. I also had oil dripping from the tailpipe. The fuel in the oil puzzles me, I don't see it mixing at the bad injector since the oil is so much greater pressure that the fuel. Do you have any smoke coming out of the oil fill when it is running and tell us more about what the "Bang" you heard sounded like?

Old 07-03-2008, 01:18 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

I think Pat has a bood reason for the bang. Wouldn't it smoke like that with a boot off?

Old 07-03-2008, 01:24 PM
zx250
A boot being off would hurt his power and maybe make some extra smoke, but I would think that should be black not white. White smoke is oil or steam. The amount of smoke he is referring to sounds like what I just went through the other week. The fuel in the oil is what has my wheels spinning.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:30 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Barry, I though white smoke could be a lot of unspent diesel as well??

Old 07-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by just another truck
Barry, I though white smoke could be a lot of unspent diesel as well??
This was my understanding as well, but it would be cold unspent fuel, like the white/greyish smoke people see when they have hard cold start issues.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:43 PM
zx250
Yep, that's right, but at the rate he was pumping it out and while the truck was under power, I don't see how the fuel would get through the engine and exhaust cold enough to stay white.

Quick Reply: Smoke Problems