1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

bad harness??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 03:57 PM
psd350psd
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bad harness??

To start off, squirrels chewed through some of my wires near where the main harness connects to the computer on the firewall. I repaired the wires myself and the truck ran fine. Three years later I have a rough idle so take it to Ford and they say they can't communicate with the computer so they replace that. Then they say they can communicate better with the computer (e.g. it tells them what truck it is, but not all information it should know), but it still runs with a rough idle. Truck runs great, just jerky idle at times. New cps and gpr. Since I cannot find my engine harness new, I pulled one from a 95 powerstroke (mine is a 96 powerstroke). They checked it real quick and put it on. Now the starter doesn't get voltage so they can't start it with the key and when it runs, it acts like it's running on four cylinders. What are the odds the harness has a bad wire somewhere? All the connectors looked good. Was it the wrong harness? If so, they shouldn't have installed it, them being a Ford dealer and all. They are blaming the harness, but it seems like maybe something else is going on. Any advice or source for a new harness?

Old 07-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not an expert on this but I am going to assume the 95 and 96 are different because there is one harness for a 49 state federal truck and another for a Cali truck, then there is one for a standard shift and automatic....that's all for 1 year ie.1995 or 1996.

I think wrong harness was installed. Especially since your starter didn't work. That would be the difference between a Neutral safety switch on the clutch and one on the auto tranny. My 2 cents.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:19 PM
psd350psd
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The harness was pulled from a standard tranny truck and shouldn't be a California truck. It also turns on the windshield wipers with the key on, i.e. when they shouldn't be on.